Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD upgrade price break?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am thinking of upgrading my 2018 M3 enhanced autopilot to FDS. I missed the narrow window of $1,000 price break in June last year. Speculation of this happening again in the near future? Or forget it, bite the bullet and do it!

I am thinking of upgrading my 2018 M3 enhanced autopilot to FDS. I missed the narrow window of $1,000 price break in June last year. Speculation of this happening again in the near future? Or forget it, bite the bullet and do it!
Subscription model is now available. If you have EAP it will cost you $99/month which, to me, is a better proposition than laying out $10K upfront.

For Basic autopilot it is $199/month.

Edit: if your 2018 vehicle does not have HW3, you will need to pay a $1500 upgrade fee.

Can anyone explain why HW3 upgrade costs $1500 when the car was advertised as "All Tesla vehicles produced in our factory, including Model 3, have the hardware needed for full self-driving capability at a safety level substantially greater than that of a human driver."?

It very much appears that was not true, and now people have to pay $1500 for Tesla's misleading statement.

Reactions: fiatlux

Can anyone explain why HW3 upgrade costs $1500 when the car was advertised as "All Tesla vehicles produced in our factory, including Model 3, have the hardware needed for full self-driving capability at a safety level substantially greater than that of a human driver."?

It very much appears that was not true, and now people have to pay $1500 for Tesla's misleading statement.
It depends on when the vehicle was built.

Everything after mid-2019 has HW3 I believe (Model 3-wise and of course the Y). I think the S/X we’re about the same time but could be wrong

The current driver assistance features in FSD will run on older autopilot computers, even if you don’t get all the visualization features, and you could argue that the existing features are already safer than human drivers on the highway. I never believed Tesla would offer the subscription to anyone who didn’t already have HW3, since they would lose money doing free HW3 upgrades.

If you have EAP it will cost you $99/month which, to me, is a better proposition than laying out $10K upfront.
Stop in traffic lights feature for only $99/m. What a great deal 🤪

But you are right, it is a way less horrible deal compared to paying $5000 to upgrade from EAP to FSD and only get stop in traffic lights feature (that is what I did).

Stop in traffic lights feature for only $99/m. What a great deal 🤪

But you are right, it is a way less horrible deal compared to paying $5000 to upgrade from EAP to FSD and only get stop in traffic lights feature (that is what I did).
Not quite as horrible if you also got an upgrade to HW3. But yeah, you’ll have to wait a while to get real value from your FSD upgrade.

As a 2018 LR Model 3 owner with HW 2.5, I agree and am hoping that this will be challenged in court. As you pointed out, Tesla made it clear that the car was being sold with all hardware required for full self driving. Up to this point, by purchasing the FSD upgrade package, we were paying for the software and the hardware upgrade was included "for free". It was obvious to everyone that part of the upgrade cost was paying for the hardware, but with no other purchase option (aka subscription model), they skirted around the hardware cost. Those of us that have HW 2.5 should get free upgrades to HW 3.0, as it is clear that our cars were not sold with all hardware required for full self driving.

The current driver assistance features in FSD will run on older autopilot computers,
This is incorrect. Stop sign/light control requires HW3. It does not function on HW2.
I never believed Tesla would offer the subscription to anyone who didn’t already have HW3, since they would lose money doing free HW3 upgrades.
Hmm, maybe they shouldn't have said cars in 2016-2019 have all the HW needed if they weren't sure. It's not my fault they were wrong and it will cost them money.

I think $1,500 upgrade from HW2 to HW3 is not unreasonable. I paid $5,000 for EPA when I first order the M3 ( I ordered it 24 hours later than when it was first available to order on line) and FDS was not yet coined. If I planned to keep my car more than three more years, then paying the $5,000 now and own the FDS is not too bad. I was hoping it could be $4,000! Am I correct to assume HW3 with Tesla Vision is safer then the present hybrid vision+radar? I am about to bite on the bullet.

I paid $5,000 for EPA when I first order the M3 ( I ordered it 24 hours later than when it was first available to order on line) and FDS was not yet coined. If I planned to keep my car more than three more years, then paying the $5,000 now and own the FDS is not too bad. I was hoping it could be $4,000!
FSD and EAP has been for sale since October 2016, well over a year before the Model 3 was released. It has been for sale on a Model 3 since the day it was introduced. Your memory is incorrect.

The issue is that if you pay $5000 for FSD as a one time purchase, the upgrade is "free" because the car was advertised as being FSD capable. Now they want $1500 to upgrade it if you want FSD via a subscription, despite it being advertised as included, and it being the same software in both cases.

Am I correct to assume HW3 with Tesla Vision is safer then the present hybrid vision+radar? I am about to bite on the bullet.
You are not correct. You will not get Tesla vision (for now at least) and there is no data it is safer, it's only 2 months old. All you will get for your $99 per month subscription is stopping at stop lights.

Subscription model is now available. If you have EAP it will cost you $99/month which, to me, is a better proposition than laying out $10K upfront.

Edit: if your 2018 vehicle does not have HW3, you will need to pay a $1500 upgrade fee.
$99 to add FSD to EAP is a total waste of money currently. EAP has all of the good stuff that was stripped out and added to FSD when Tesla created “free” AP. Of course there might be someone who thinks having the stoplights feature that tries to stop at all green lights unless following someone is worth $99. I think Tesla should pay me to turn on that “feature,“ since the only benefit accrues to Tesla’s data gathering.

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet

The upgrade fee from HW2 to HW3 has been reduced to $1,000. Will the FDS upgrade for EAP be adjusted to $4,500? Interesting.