Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Self Driving Capability Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

i have bought LR RWD Model 3 in Sep 2018. I have got EAP with it by paying additional $5000. now i see that i have option of upgrading to Full Self Driving Capability for $3000 in my Tesla account page
Today i saw all the new orders with Auto Pilot for $3000 and Full Self Driving Capability for $5000

Is the Full Self Driving Capability ( $5k) same as what i am seeing in my tesla account page (upgrade for $3k) ? or is it something different ?
if i upgrade it then i would end up paying $8k total but with new orders users are paying only 5K
what is the difference ?

i got it . Thanks for the clarification. i was under the impression that FSD is 5K only ( including AP) for new cars. now when i tried to ordered the car, i see that when i select FSD its automatically selecting AP as well

do u think FSD upgrade for 3k is worth now ?
telsa might increase the price in future for FSD

...do u think FSD upgrade for 3k is worth now ?

Tesla historically rewards early adopters and penalizes procrastinators with price changes and feature changes.

On the other hand, if you wait long enough, prices might fall as well because that's the nature of technology.

So, it is up to you to guess the future.

I don't want to guess the future so I have always sealed in the deal as soon as possible and not waiting.

do u think FSD upgrade for 3k is worth now ?

I bought FSD in the expectation that HW would need upgraded and it would become a more expensive option: both have since come to pass.

In making your decision please bear in mind that the current AP2.5 computer is hitting the limit of its capabilities, with camera inputs resolution-clipped and frame-rate-reduced in order to curtail the data overload. However, once the HW3 computer unit is released (as a drop-in replacement) the cameras will be enabled to operate at full resolution and FPS, thus significantly augmenting the sensor perception and hence wise path-planning, not to mention that HW3 will be running expanded neural nets to make the whole thing much faster and more fluid than HW2.5. This has all been promised (since yesterday) to materialise this year, along with new FSD features such as stopping at lights/signs and L2-automated driving in the city.

In short, go for the FSD option, it will be worth it if you plan to do >5k miles/year.

Reactions: preilly44
I bought FSD in the expectation that HW would need upgraded and it would become a more expensive option: both have since come to pass.

In making your decision please bear in mind that the current AP2.5 computer is hitting the limit of its capabilities, with camera inputs resolution-clipped and frame-rate-reduced in order to curtail the data overload. However, once the HW3 computer unit is released (as a drop-in replacement) the cameras will be enabled to operate at full resolution and FPS, thus significantly augmenting the sensor perception and hence wise path-planning, not to mention that HW3 will be running expanded neural nets to make the whole thing much faster and more fluid than HW2.5. This has all been promised (since yesterday) to materialise this year, along with new FSD features such as stopping at lights/signs and L2-automated driving in the city.

In short, go for the FSD option, it will be worth it if you plan to do >5k miles/year.

Thanks for the suggestion. i have purchased FSD for $3000. lets hope Tesla will give FSD features by mid or end of this year

Apparently anyone who already bought FSD will get invitations to enroll in the EAP (early adopter program) and test out new features before they are pushed out with the normally scheduled software updates.

Apparently anyone who already bought FSD will get invitations to enroll in the EAP (early adopter program) and test out new features before they are pushed out with the normally scheduled software updates.
Wishful thinking. Over the past six months, early access program membership has meant virtually nothing. As often as not, early access program members received their updates after non-members. Early access program membership is simply not Tesla’s primary criteria for determining who receives new software first. Other factors like location are more important.

Last edited:
Reactions: zmarty and Tam