Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Self Driving On Used Model S 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I am looking to buy a used Tesla model S 2017. It is a 75 single motor car and was used previously as a fleet rental. It is not a certified preowned and has 19k miles on it.

I would appreciate if you can help me with the following questions.

My dream is to be able to use the full self driving capability.

How do I ensure that the car has the hardware and software necessary for the full self driving upgrade? I called up Tesla but they did not help identifying the hardware or the software installed in the car.

Also is it possible to get an idea of how much will it cost to upgrade to full self drive capability?

Respectfully

S

...an idea of how much will it cost to upgrade to full self drive capability

1/ There's another one just like yours:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/buying-used-2017-model-s-without-ap-and-fsd-how-much-to-add-each.156656/

2/ Tesla's FSD policy keeps changing so it's hard to keep track.

2017 Model S would have Hardware 2.0 prior to August and 2.5 mid-August. If you already bought FSD, Tesla would activate FSD which will require at least Hardware 3.0 for you. If you did not buy FSD (ok, the previous owner), it's unclear whether it's willing to sell you FSD now.

Although both HW2.0 and HW2.5 can be upgraded to HW3.0 for FSD, but there've been reports that Tesla having been giving HW2.0 owners a hard time and would refuse to let them buy FSD post-delivery now.

3/ To ensure that you'll get your FSD, make sure you get the original Window Sticker with its VIN that has a line showing that they paid for FSD.

Otherwise, there's no easy way for assurance.

They take a picture of Autopilot menu screen for you but it could be only having Enhanced Autopilot while its menu is exactly like those who already bought FSD because they both don't have the menu for

1) Traffic Lights and Signs
2) Automatic City Driving

4/ Prior to March Madness sales, the prices were:

Pre-delivery:

EAP...$5,000.00
FSD...$3,000.00
---------------------
Total=$8,000

Post-delivery:

EAP...$7,000.00
FSD...$5,000.00
---------------------
Total=$12,000

And FSD or Full Self Driving has a very specific meaning to Tesla. It's not what most people would use those words to mean. It doesn't mean autonomous driving in Tesla-speak. Today it means some level of stoplight & stop sign detection under good conditions. That's all the semi-official words (a.k.a. Elon's tweats) have said on the topic.

In my opinion, if/when a relatively stable read-a-book-while-driving level of autonomy comes out it will be at an added cost, particularly for MCU1/AP2.0 vehicles.

And FSD or Full Self Driving has a very specific meaning to Tesla. It's not what most people would use those words to mean. It doesn't mean autonomous driving in Tesla-speak. Today it means some level of stoplight & stop sign detection under good conditions. That's all the semi-official words (a.k.a. Elon's tweats) have said on the topic.

In my opinion, if/when a relatively stable read-a-book-while-driving level of autonomy comes out it will be at an added cost, particularly for MCU1/AP2.0 vehicles.
Yeah tesla really needs to change the name of the FSD option
It’s nowhere near FULL SELF DRIVING
it’s driver assist. Pure and simple

Keep in mind with 2.0 Hardware even if you get FSD you may still not get Sentry and Dashcam functionality. Might depend on whether Tesla needs to and is willing to swap all the cameras for the 2.5 version.

From what Elon has said, AP2.0 cars have the same cameras as AP2.5 cars unless I missed something. AP2.0/2.5 cars have the ability to go “FSD” with a swap of the processor in the MCU.

@San1234 i would call tesla directly with the VIN to confirm but you should be able to buy the package. If not Elon’s 1,000,000 robot taxis by next year is impossible and the company has lied to all of us.