Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Transfer of Full Self Driving (FSD)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been looking at late 2016 - early 2017 MS P100D. I've been looking at used dealer lots and commonly see screens like:
1705519818061.png

I'm assuming this just means it has the hardware capabilities necessary. That there is another designation if the owner actually paid for the $10K option. Does that have the ability to transfer like FUSC (SC01) to the next owner or is it like FUSC (SC04) and gets pulled off?

Thanks.

The important part is just below that where it will say "Full Self Driving" or "Autopilot" with the status just below that. If it has FSD paid for it will say "included package" or if it has a monthly subscription you'll see the next renewal date below that. Both of which will transfer w/the car to the next owner. If you see "Autopilot" there on an AP2+ car it doesn't have any software paid for. You may also see a note about Enhanced Autopilot which would be the same thing for the version between free and FSD.

AP1 cars will say Highway Autopilot or Autopilot w/Convenience features.

Reactions: Inqling
The important part is just below that where it will say "Full Self Driving" or "Autopilot" with the status just below that. If it has FSD paid for it will say "included package" or if it has a monthly subscription you'll see the next renewal date below that. Both of which will transfer w/the car to the next owner. If you see "Autopilot" there on an AP2+ car it doesn't have any software paid for. You may also see a note about Enhanced Autopilot which would be the same thing for the version between free and FSD.

AP1 cars will say Highway Autopilot or Autopilot w/Convenience features.

Wow! And on the summer/winter solstice it gets a side of fries. Can it possibly be made more confusing for beginners? :D
So... it goes with the car, not initial owner? Or... does it have the option of being transferred like I'm now learning that the FUSC can be pulled out from under me after I purchase the car by the original owner?

Thank you. I appreciate your help.

Wow! And on the summer/winter solstice it gets a side of fries. Can it possibly be made more confusing for beginners? :D
So... it goes with the car, not initial owner? Or... does it have the option of being transferred like I'm now learning that the FUSC can be pulled out from under me after I purchase the car by the original owner?

Thank you. I appreciate your help.
If FSD/EAP is paid for and you can see it on the screen as mentioned above, it transfers with the car. Same as the wheels or spoiler.

FUSC is another topic entirely. At this point, it's best to go into the transaction assuming FUSC doesn't exist. If that's an option that's important to you, you'll be looking for cars made before 1/14/17 and delivered before June of that year that have never been back in Tesla's possession after the initial sale. This has become a VERY complex topic due to Tesla making it intentionally confusing over the years. Many sellers advertise their cars as having it when they don't (or not the version that transfers anyway) which can be a rough thing for the new owner to find out after the transaction. Some sellers don't know, others do it intentionally. Either way, it's best to do your due diligence to protect yourself in either instance.

Summary: These cars aren't like any other car you've ever purchased. Rushing into a buy could result in buying something worth tens of thousands less than you paid, no exaggeration. I highly suggest you invest lots of time reading & researching before purchasing anything.

If FSD/EAP is paid for and you can see it on the screen as mentioned above, it transfers with the car. Same as the wheels or spoiler.

FUSC is another topic entirely. At this point, it's best to go into the transaction assuming FUSC doesn't exist. If that's an option that's important to you, you'll be looking for cars made before 1/14/17 and delivered before June of that year that have never been back in Tesla's possession after the initial sale. This has become a VERY complex topic due to Tesla making it intentionally confusing over the years. Many sellers advertise their cars as having it when they don't (or not the version that transfers anyway) which can be a rough thing for the new owner to find out after the transaction. Some sellers don't know, others do it intentionally. Either way, it's best to do your due diligence to protect yourself in either instance.

Summary: These cars aren't like any other car you've ever purchased. Rushing into a buy could result in buying something worth tens of thousands less than you paid, no exaggeration. I highly suggest you invest lots of time reading & researching before purchasing anything.

Yes, I've spent many hours reading on this forum about FUSC and am comfortable with what I have to do to confirm its on the car at the moment... and to make sure it gets transferred. I understand the radar, camera, computer aspect stays with the car. That's pretty obvious. I thought I had read/heard that the software license aspect of FSD (being the $10k option) was also being removed/disabled if back in Tesla's hands and just wondered if you knew that was the case and/or if an owner could transfer that software aspect to another car (like FUSC).

Thanks.

Yes, I've spent many hours reading on this forum about FUSC and am comfortable with what I have to do to confirm its on the car at the moment... and to make sure it gets transferred. I understand the radar, camera, computer aspect stays with the car. That's pretty obvious. I thought I had read/heard that the software license aspect of FSD (being the $10k option) was also being removed/disabled if back in Tesla's hands and just wondered if you knew that was the case and/or if an owner could transfer that software aspect to another car (like FUSC).

Thanks.
Sort of. Tesla can remove it to be resold but it will state if it has it or not upon resale by Tesla. Once that car has changed possession the software status is whatever the screen says. It's not like Tesla will suddenly pull it after you buy it from another private party.