Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Funny Story about Backup system

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday morning our techs got a service call, the customer's power had been out this morning, but only on the backup side. The non-backup loads worked fine, which is strange.

Someone had turned off the customers main breaker feeding the backup system. Apparently, another electrician was working on things about a month ago and forgot to turn it back on.

This customer had been running off the grid, for 30 days just on backup power living their best life and had never noticed that they were running on battery power. It wasn't until they took an extra long trip one day, and charged their car extra that night that they noticed anything. Apparently, they don't really pay attention to the app.

With 15 kW and 4 Powerwalls they were totally off-grid with the half of the house that was backed up. I had a good laugh about that.

It would be more remarkable if they couldn't go off-grid for 30 days with 4 PW's.

That depends wholly on a specific properties electric consumption, as I am fairly sure you are aware. Their 4 powerwalls is a partial backup setup, so no, it wouldnt be more remarkable if they couldnt go off grid for 30 days with 4 powerwalls.

Yesterday morning our techs got a service call, the customer's power had been out this morning, but only on the backup side. The non-backup loads worked fine, which is strange.

Someone had turned off the customers main breaker feeding the backup system. Apparently, another electrician was working on things about a month ago and forgot to turn it back on.

This customer had been running off the grid, for 30 days just on backup power living their best life and had never noticed that they were running on battery power. It wasn't until they took an extra long trip one day, and charged their car extra that night that they noticed anything. Apparently, they don't really pay attention to the app.

With 15 kW and 4 Powerwalls they were totally off-grid with the half of the house that was backed up. I had a good laugh about that.
Ouch, that is a lot of lost solar exports.