Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Future charging trends

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Due to an accident I am considering leasing a bolt, assuming I can get one while waiting for the three. Ultimately I would see having two threes or a three and a Toyota ev.
Wondering what's best to do for this situation charging wise. Should I go ahead and spring for 100 amp circuit now? Considering two ev with 125 mile daily drives. Will wireless charging so quickly replace whatever I buy that I should just by the least expensive bolt charger? Luckily breaker box is located on the wall below the Garage. Thanks for your thoughts.

The nice thing about the Tesla wall charger is, with the newer ones, you can get them to communicate and limit the current they take. They can be set to have the first one charge one car, and when it's done the second one can charge the second car. Having two three's and two wall chargers, you could get by with a single 50A circuit.
If the breaker box is close as you indicate, perhaps the right answer is to install two 50A circuits, terminated in two 14-50 outlets. In the future, you can connect two Wall chargers, or a Wall Charger and a 14-50 outlet for a non-Tesla EV, or a wireless charger. If you install something that needs to be hard-wired, you can do that at the outlet box easily.

That's my thought anyway.

/frank

Reactions: Steve3008
Due to an accident I am considering leasing a bolt, assuming I can get one while waiting for the three. Ultimately I would see having two threes or a three and a Toyota ev.
Wondering what's best to do for this situation charging wise. Should I go ahead and spring for 100 amp circuit now? Considering two ev with 125 mile daily drives. Will wireless charging so quickly replace whatever I buy that I should just by the least expensive bolt charger? Luckily breaker box is located on the wall below the Garage. Thanks for your thoughts.
If you are in West Virginia, and considering a Chevrolet BOLT, it may not be available to you for a very long time, if ever. There are only certain CARB States on the East Coast (New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Maine, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Vermont, Maryland, Florida). I sincerely doubt that GM has plans to send the BOLT to anywhere else in the East before the end of 2018. Only certain 'independent franchised dealerships' for Chevrolet will be authorized to offer the BOLT. And those locations will be strictly warned by GM to not offer them to anyone from out-of-state. 1) Because they'll want the vehicle near a location that can service it properly if needed; and 2) because if it isn't registered in a CARB State they may not get full ZEV Credits for its sale or lease. You should check with your local Chevrolet 'independent franchised dealerships' to make sure you can get it.

Due to an accident I am considering leasing a bolt.
Wondering what's best to do for this situation charging wise. Should I go ahead and spring for 100 amp circuit now? Considering two ev with 125 mile daily drives.

I'd just buy a 5 year old (+/-) Prius for cheap or a similar Volt as my transportation source to hold me until my 3 comes through.

Charging wise, if you put more charging capacity in place now than you need later, you probably spend just a little more than needed, but will be well covered for the needs of two long range EV's when that time comes.

I can't imagine two people driving 125 miles round trip daily to a job, so I guess your jobs are 125 miles apart from each other is why you haven't moved closer to work? Best wishes in whatever choice you make.

Reactions: Red Sage
"I can't imagine two people driving 125 miles round trip daily to a job, so I guess your jobs are 125 miles apart from each other is why you haven't moved closer to work? "

Currently I am the only One with a daily commute of 100 miles round trip. I am thinking when it's time to sell that the new owners could have two cars commuting to D.C. Or Baltimore.
Living closer is not an option. House would be 250k more with no land and property taxes would be 7500 vs 3k not to mention income tax.
I can Hardly wait for auto pilot it will be like having two extra hours in a day. I dream about it every day

Reactions: Mark C
Frank Schwab

I don't think the Bolt has a 14-50 adapter for the portable charge cable, at least none of the pictures i have seen show one. I believe if you want level 2 at home you have to purchase a dedicated charger. https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/members/frank-schwab.46309/

Steve3008

It sounds like you may have a mix of different vehicles. If you purchase a Bolt just get a J1772 charger and install it with a 40amp breaker, the bolt can only take 32amps of charging. J1772 is the lowest common denominator in terms of charging and everyone supports it.
The Model 3 should come with a J1772 adapter, just like the Model S and X do now.

When you get your second car you can add a HPWC on a 60amp breaker (Model 3 should be 48amp) and the person who needs more juice can hook up to the HPWC and gain a few more miles per hour of charge. Or just sell the J1772 and get a second HPWC, replace the 40 with a 60 amp breaker if your house can handle it.

No matter what configuration you decide make sure that your electrician runs wire capable of 100amps regardless of the charging equipment you plan to install. That way if you want to move, upgrade, or change anything you can do so without replacing a bunch of rewiring.

Reactions: Steve3008