Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Future Model S and what's the meaning of "platform change"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guess my point is that waiting for the next big thing means never getting a Tesla. No way of knowing for sure what is going to be coming down the line as Tesla has a policy of continous updates. When the latest configuration becomes approved, it is put into production with little notice.

The question about refreshing/reworking the current Model S/X actually makes a lot of sense. I will try to explain from a few different aspects:

On Energy
1. V3 and upcoming SuperCharging tech are not supported on Model S/X because of its battery pack.
2. Tesla just bought Maxwell, a battery company famous for its dry cells, might very well make their product useful.
3. Model 3 has greatly improved its energy efficiency compare to Model S/X(can elaborate if needed) with its new battery pack and platform(talk about next)

So even just for energy improvement, Tesla has every reason to refresh/rework its high-end product lines. For one, It will be kinda weird to have Model S/X denied from new improvement on core tech improvement. And also because Model S/X are not mass-produced compare to Model 3 and Model Y so they are good test fields.

On Platform
1. Model 3 is built on a 3rd gen platform with far shorter wiring, and fewer components and far better efficiency compare to Model S/X, which makes a rework for Model S/X on a new platform very much reasonable. Can't have the high-end worse than the mass-production, right?
2. the 3rd gen limits to only Model 3 and Model Y, both mid-size vehicles that can't replace the places of Model S and Model X. So the demand will likely to stay around. And if Tesla doesn't rework Model S/X, or simply, give up on updating them from a fundamental level, the market share of that demand will likely drop. It's a risk Tesla unwilling to take for that their current publicity is built upon building the best EV. Model S/X are Tesla's face.

So it's very likely to happen but likely in a distant future, for that Model Y and Model 3 being mass-produced at a declining cost are paramount for Tesla's stock price, and obviously, survival.

The question about refreshing/reworking the current Model S/X actually makes a lot of sense. I will try to explain from a few different aspects:
CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT - you don't need to wait for "refreshing/reworking" decide what features are most important to you and when they come, you have my permission to pull the trigger and buy. Be certain of what you are buying (read the fine print) and avoid buyers remorse.

Tesla isn't holding back, they move forward as fast as is practical. YOU must decide when you are ready to buy - there is no "Marketing Manager" trying to manipulate/spin the public into buying. NO AD money, spend that money on improving the product [Model S/X] keep it compelling and people may well be compelled to buy (simply the best product??).

I hope Elon continues to resist behaving just like the old guard. "No Ads", "No Model Years" just continuous improvements and staying ahead of the competition.

(quick question: who was first to sell cars on the internet?? Amazon Prime?? or a supplier to Amazon?? Or will Tesla be the first?? I don't think it really matters much just as the first to market was GM with the EV-1 and the Bolt and the 1st mover status doesn't seemed to have given GM much of an advantage.)

PS- When/If demand levers need to be found - how about special offers such as designer editions with special interiors? or special paint options? or wheel/tire options? you get the idea. Offer on the internet, tell people if you require min. order numbers, give estimates for delivery times. If you don't get enough orders, try again.

PPS- Interesting side note: do you tube search for DIY Prius battery replacement - I was surprised how complex Toyota battery pack construction is. You won't be re-building a Tesla pack (Jack Rickard has detailed videos if you need to verify that a Tesla pack won't be easily rebuilt). warning: he forgot to "clean the cooling system - well you should watch a couple of these type videos to really understand what you are getting into. (this is NOT the best one I have seen - look for others)
youtu.be/A5ey4QX6L_8

Last edited:
Is this the new S?

-1x-1.jpg