Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Future Tesla Batteries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When Elon talks about a 20% smaller Model 3 v. S, I'm pretty sure he is referring to mass (being the physics nerd that he is). The 20% reduction in weight of the chassis is easy with dimension reductions. The 20% reduction in battery pack weight is more challenging as it implies a smaller pack but with 20% less KWh it's a stretch to get the 200 mile range he's after. I suspect they will solve this with a bit more energy density.

PS. We are off topic for this thread.:frown:

Last edited:
The height difference should be less than 10mm, could be closer to 5 if they slightly round down the 10% longer figure and make the cell a 20700 instead of a 20720. My guess is they will make it short enough to fit into S/X packs, because to not do so would seem...insane?

two more options for S/X:
1. mount the cells horizontally or
2. make the new packs correspondingly (to new cell height) thicker and sacrifice en equal amount of ground clearance

Wow, this thread has really gotten off topic. The last significant comments or questions regarding the actual Gigafactory are on page 71. Pages 71-77 are all conjecture regarding batteries. Maybe they could be sawed off and given their own thread so that any meaningful updates or comments about the Gigafactory can be more easily referenced?

Wow, this thread has really gotten off topic. The last significant comments or questions regarding the actual Gigafactory are on page 71. Pages 71-77 are all conjecture regarding batteries. Maybe they could be sawed off and given their own thread so that any meaningful updates or comments about the Gigafactory can be more easily referenced?

Looks like somebody split it.

Even if the killer new chemistry was discovered in the lab today, it would likely be the mid-2020s before they made their way into cars. It takes a long time to get from lab to production with any major change in chemistry.