Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FYI: 2 nicely discounted inv. MX listed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, so "someone" (not @doug) got *really* upset with my signature, which included my referral code (like hundreds of others on here, but I digress.) I have updated my signature and apologize profusely, seriously.

I am assuming it's still ok to PM folks for their code though.

Ok, so "someone" (not @doug) got *really* upset with my signature, which included my referral code (like hundreds of others on here, but I digress.) I have updated my signature and apologize profusely, seriously.

I am assuming it's still ok to PM folks for their code though.
You were that kid who, upon being told to leave their sibling alone, would get as close as possible with just a hair's width separating ... and then would scream, 'BUT I WASN'T TOUCHING HER!!!!', weren't you? :)

Because there isn't a whole lot of difference between a direct link to your referral code or a link that says 'ask me for my code' and opens up a conversation. Technically true. Def not abiding by the forum request. And when you imply @doug is fine with it, well, I'd be surprised.

You were that kid who, upon being told to leave their sibling alone, would get as close as possible with just a hair's width separating ... and then would scream, 'BUT I WASN'T TOUCHING HER!!!!', weren't you? :)

Looking back, I should have done that, that would have saved me a trip or two to the ER :)

Because there isn't a whole lot of difference between a direct link to your referral code or a link that says 'ask me for my code' and opens up a conversation. Technically true. Def not abiding by the forum request. And when you imply @doug is fine with it, well, I'd be surprised.

A bit of context here

1- I had no idea referral codes were not allowed in signatures. I should I have read the Forum Rules. My bad. 100%

2- I did not write that Doug wasn't upset. I wrote that he wasn't that "someone". Keep in mind that at the time I didn't know what the rules were, so I had no reason to think that Doug would be upset about anything. I can see how my sentence could be interpreted the way you did though.

3- What's acceptable? According to the rules, what's NOT acceptable is links to the referral code. We could debate this ad-nauseam and I am not suggesting that language should be added btw, we all have better things to do like, you know, driving our cars. And there will always be a loophole somewhere anyway.

Understanding what was not allowed, I looked around and noticed the "PM me for code" approach and that seemed fine (still does to me). As for adding a link to the messaging system, I am a UX person by trade and I have been trained that simpler is better. At the end of the day though and all else being equal, people in need of a code are likely to gravitate towards a forum user who provided them with valuable information, not a random user.

Back to what started this current debate re. referral codes in signature though as it's directly relevant to this thread: "someone" - it doesn't matter who that person is...but as explained above, well, it's not Doug - complained that I was adding garbage to the site by posting links to "good" inventory cars and that I was doing so to get referrals.

I personally don't think that surfacing these deals in the "Tesla for Sale" subdirectory is adding garbage to the site. In fact, some members thanked me for posting them via DM. Also, the cars I flagged on Friday were all gone in the matter of hours, if not minutes and while there is no way of knowing whether they were picked up by folks who saw them here first, it's a possibility.

In addition and as I have told others, I am/was really doing this with good intentions...this is how I found my current car and my intent is/was to "pay it forward". Corny? maybe. True? 100%. I have reached out to Doug via DM to get his read on this. If that's indeed garbage, then fine. If it's not, I want to get his read on what's the best way to surface these inv. cars efficiently. As a shareholder, I am happy to help move cars.

Looking back, I should have done that, that would have saved me a trip or two to the ER :)

A bit of context here

1- I had no idea referral codes were not allowed in signatures. I should I have read the Forum Rules. My bad. 100%

2- I did not write that Doug wasn't upset. I wrote that he wasn't that "someone". Keep in mind that at the time I didn't know what the rules were, so I had no reason to think that Doug would be upset about anything. I can see how my sentence could be interpreted the way you did though.

3- What's acceptable? According to the rules, what's NOT acceptable is links to the referral code. We could debate this ad-nauseam and I am not suggesting that language should be added btw, we all have better things to do like, you know, driving our cars. And there will always be a loophole somewhere anyway.

Understanding what was not allowed, I looked around and noticed the "PM me for code" approach and that seemed fine (still does to me). As for adding a link to the messaging system, I am a UX person by trade and I have been trained that simpler is better. At the end of the day though and all else being equal, people in need of a code are likely to gravitate towards a forum user who provided them with valuable information, not a random user.

Back to what started this current debate re. referral codes in signature though as it's directly relevant to this thread: "someone" - it doesn't matter who that person is...but as explained above, well, it's not Doug - complained that I was adding garbage to the site by posting links to "good" inventory cars and that I was doing so to get referrals.

I personally don't think that surfacing these deals in the "Tesla for Sale" subdirectory is adding garbage to the site. In fact, some members thanked me for posting them via DM. Also, the cars I flagged on Friday were all gone in the matter of hours, if not minutes and while there is no way of knowing whether they were picked up by folks who saw them here first, it's a possibility.

In addition and as I have told others, I am/was really doing this with good intentions...this is how I found my current car and my intent is/was to "pay it forward". Corny? maybe. True? 100%. I have reached out to Doug via DM to get his read on this. If that's indeed garbage, then fine. If it's not, I want to get his read on what's the best way to surface these inv. cars efficiently. As a shareholder, I am happy to help move cars.

Zero issues. My personal belief is that the code should be in signatures and not anywhere else (like, get rid of the threads advertising codes completely).And not a flashing signature or someone saying they'll pay for the referral, etc.

But I've been clearly told that in signature is not okay and is considered advertising. So I've gone to just suggesting that people message someone who has helped them and ask them for their code that way. I'm not looking to push mine - yesterday I gave the code of someone that I knew lived in the area of the person who was looking & who I knew would continue being helpful.

Reactions: LoL Rick and Cowby