Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

G Force for Tesla Model 3 Performance (0-60mph) and other Models

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was searching for the G Force of the Model 3 acceleration as well as Model S 75D acceleration in Google and couldn't find it.

Then I realized that high school physics, kinematics, is all needed! Silly me!
You just have to be careful with unit conversion from mph to m/s.

For those who are curious how Model 3 accelerates in terms of G force, here it is:

V= Vi+at

Vi=0
a=V/t = (26.82 m/s) / 3.5s= 7.66 m/s^2
7.66/9.8 ~ -0.78g

But many people report they get 3.3. In that case,
8.13 m/s^2
8.13/9.8 ~ 0.83 g

83% of free fall acceleration is pretty impressive! Of course, it is no match against Model S at 2.28s, which gives 1.2g, faster than the free fall. That is just brutal!

For those who owns AWD and RWD, it turns out 0.61g (4.5s) and 0.54g (5.1s), respectively
Model S 75D/90D (4.2s) gets 0.65g. So AWD Model 3 and Model 75D/90D would be roughly feeling the similar acceleration. And Performance 3 and P85D (3.2s) may also be similar acceleration.

And finally, the Roadster 2020(1.9s) will get 1.44g. Speechless.

I never thought I would use high school physics in real life!

There's some variation because I don't want to mount the dragy so I'm literally holding it in place on the arm rest as I'm launching to 60 mph steering with the other hand. Probably not the best approach.

There are also times where I forget and the dragy goes flying into the backseat.
My son often forgets too, while holding his cell phone in the passenger seat, and it also ends up in the back seat!

I was searching for the G Force of the Model 3 acceleration as well as Model S 75D acceleration in Google and couldn't find it.

Then I realized that high school physics, kinematics, is all needed! Silly me!
You just have to be careful with unit conversion from mph to m/s.

For those who are curious how Model 3 accelerates in terms of G force, here it is:

V= Vi+at

Vi=0
a=V/t = (26.82 m/s) / 3.5s= 7.66 m/s^2
7.66/9.8 ~ -0.78g

But many people report they get 3.3. In that case,
8.13 m/s^2
8.13/9.8 ~ 0.83 g

83% of free fall acceleration is pretty impressive! Of course, it is no match against Model S at 2.28s, which gives 1.2g, faster than the free fall. That is just brutal!

For those who owns AWD and RWD, it turns out 0.61g (4.5s) and 0.54g (5.1s), respectively
Model S 75D/90D (4.2s) gets 0.65g. So AWD Model 3 and Model 75D/90D would be roughly feeling the similar acceleration. And Performance 3 and P85D (3.2s) may also be similar acceleration.

And finally, the Roadster 2020(1.9s) will get 1.44g. Speechless.

I never thought I would use high school physics in real life!
That’s only the average g force between 0 and 60mph. What about the initial g force, as it pulls off?