TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

G Force for Tesla Model 3 Performance (0-60mph) and other Models

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Maximilien, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Maximilien

Maximilien Member

I was searching for the G Force of the Model 3 acceleration as well as Model S 75D acceleration in Google and couldn't find it.

Then I realized that high school physics, kinematics, is all needed! Silly me!
    You just have to be careful with unit conversion from mph to m/s.

For those who are curious how Model 3 accelerates in terms of G force, here it is:

V= Vi+at

Vi=0
    a=V/t = (26.82 m/s) / 3.5s= 7.66 m/s^2
    7.66/9.8 ~ -0.78g

But many people report they get 3.3. In that case,
    8.13 m/s^2
    8.13/9.8 ~ 0.83 g

83% of free fall acceleration is pretty impressive! Of course, it is no match against Model S at 2.28s, which gives 1.2g, faster than the free fall. That is just brutal!

For those who owns AWD and RWD, it turns out 0.61g (4.5s) and 0.54g (5.1s), respectively
    Model S 75D/90D (4.2s) gets 0.65g. So AWD Model 3 and Model 75D/90D would be roughly feeling the similar acceleration. And Performance 3 and P85D (3.2s) may also be similar acceleration.

And finally, the Roadster 2020(1.9s) will get 1.44g. Speechless.

I never thought I would use high school physics in real life!

• Informative x 2
    • Love x 2
  2. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

3.3 is with rollout- it's a car-magazine brag number, not a real life 0-60 number.

• Like x 1
  3. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Like x 1
  4. yyzbig6

yyzbig6 Member

G-force is not simply a measure of "free fall". Whether you are free-falling or standing on the ground, the Earth is exerting a G-force of approximately 1 on you.

5. Orwell

Orwell Member

actually there are quite a few people getting 3.1 seconds to 60 MPH without took out. Check YouTube.

• Funny x 1
  6. skrtskrt

skrtskrt Member

I always hear about "without rollout" and "with rollout", what does that mean?

7. D3xDt3Reaction

On a drag strip, the timer doesn’t start until the car rolls one foot.

8. Knightshade

I saw one guy cite 3.18...but he was definitely including rollout. If you've got a specific video in mind by all means post a link.

A lot of people on youtube probably don't know what their own devices measure though.

9. Knightshade

The Drag Racing Technicality that Got the Tesla Model S P100D to 60 in 2.28 Seconds

It's why nearly all car-mag 0-60 numbers should have .2-.3 added to reflect the real world.

(ditto all the youtube guys with a vbox or most other testing devices... the only popular testing device I know that does NOT include it in their 0-60 tests is draggy)

10. Maximilien

Maximilien Member

Oops. I totally forgot about rollout.

But it's close enough...:cool:

11. Maximilien

Maximilien Member

Thank you for the graph. I didn't know the acceleration is quite stable until about 37mph.

12. StellarRat

StellarRat Active Member

#12 StellarRat, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    What about an F-18 launching off a carrier? Zero to 160 in TWO seconds.

13. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

There's some variation because I don't want to mount the dragy so I'm literally holding it in place on the arm rest as I'm launching to 60 mph steering with the other hand. Probably not the best approach.

There are also times where I forget and the dragy goes flying into the backseat.

• Funny x 2
  14. icefree

icefree Member

For comparison, you can get up to about 1.2Gs in a P100D :)
    IMG_8030.jpg

15. Maximilien

Maximilien Member

Yes, but that 2.95 seconds seem awful slow for P100D. Were you on Chill Mode or maybe not on Ludicrous Mode?

16. Maximilien

Maximilien Member

Good info. That converts to 3.65 g's if my math is right.
    That can make some people black out. I know the g's in the horizontal is not same as the vertical ones but 3.65 g's is not for everyone.

17. icefree

icefree Member

That's without the rollout, so it's closer to 2.7s for other comparisons. But it's actually very difficult to get it to the 2.5s time. Note my SoC was 62%, and I'm using really heavy aftermarket wheels, so not ideal. It would be best to be near a supercharger so you can heat up the battery, and top it off at 100% SoC, then do the launch runs.

• Like x 1
  18. PARNY

PARNY Member

You are assuming that the car accelerates at the same rate from 0 to 60. I have seen in other posts that the initial acceleration is much greater then falls off so that maximum G force is well over the average.

19. Maximilien

Maximilien Member

True. I just oversimplified the scenario and that equation only works assuming the acceleration is constant.

As you can see @icefree's diagram, it is not constant but it gives us some sense of the overall/average acceleration.