Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gap found on floor underneath of front passenger seat where anything can fall they and you can not retrieve unless you remove seat.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yikes, that sounds terrifying. You made me want to go out and check the gap in my car. I haven't had my car long enough to have dropped something there but definitely something to be aware of. I'm scoping out amazon for something aftermarket that can block that gap. I'll post again if i find anything that works.

One would think that if there were such an inaccessible space under the seat others would have complained about it. We've had our 3 for a couple years with never any problem, and we've dropped several items beside the seat, plus pushed things under the seat, and at present there's nothing under the seat but black carpet.

I have Model-3 Std range plus 2020. I found there is a huge gap underneath of passenger seat on the floor. If I drop anything ( big enough ) than I can’t retrieve unless I remove my seat. Is anyone has same type of issue?
Most likely, you are noticing the heating air duct that keeps the toes of your rear passengers toasty.
Every car has it.
Yes, it's a great repository of loose change and french fries.

No big deal.

a

Most likely, you are noticing the heating air duct that keeps the toes of your rear passengers toasty.
Every car has it.
Yes, it's a great repository of loose change and french fries.

No big deal.

a
Actually this gap is not for heating/ cooling duct. The control cables are there. This gap is about 4” to 6” long. As I said earlier, Once you drop something you can’t retrieve unless removing the seat first. You can’t fing this gap in every cars and that’s why I am reaching out here and asked the question. If someone had similar problem and fix somehow than I wanted to know. BTW, I just came out from service center and they can’t fix it.

One would think that if there were such an inaccessible space under the seat others would have complained about it. We've had our 3 for a couple years with never any problem, and we've dropped several items beside the seat, plus pushed things under the seat, and at present there's nothing under the seat but black carpet.
Not all model 3 has this issue. I have one and I dropped something. It was very hard to retrieve and that’s why I am reaching out here if anyone facing similar issue and have some sort of solution. Just looking some solution
I have front passenger seat side issue not the back one. Sorry I didn’t mentioned in first time.

Attachments

• EC2603C7-80F0-4740-8B0F-1AB879E86B54.jpeg
    EC2603C7-80F0-4740-8B0F-1AB879E86B54.jpeg
    218.4 KB · Views: 416
  • DE1944A4-E3B2-4D6E-AF01-3AF897394BC9.jpeg
    DE1944A4-E3B2-4D6E-AF01-3AF897394BC9.jpeg
    603.1 KB · Views: 351
  • Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
Under the seats there is a split in the carpet between the front and rear carpet pieces. Yes there is a channel stuff can fall into. I had to remove my seat to fish out my item that fell in there, while the seat was out I stuffed some foam pieces into the gaps so it wouldn't happen again. This pic is not my car but shows the void/channel the op is talking about.

Attachments

• 20211207_102658.jpg
    20211207_102658.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 381
Under the seats there is a split in the carpet between the front and rear carpet pieces. Yes there is a channel stuff can fall into. I had to remove my seat to fish out my item that fell in there, while the seat was out I stuffed some foam pieces into the gaps so it wouldn't happen again. This pic is not my car but shows the void/channel the op is talking about.
Yes. This is the exact issue I am referring. Is it possible to stuff form without removing seat?? Is there anything to worry about? Like catching on fire etc..

Yes. This is the exact issue I am referring. Is it possible to stuff form without removing seat?? Is there anything to worry about? Like catching on fire etc..
Catching on fire? I don't think so...500,000 cars sold and cant remember reading about one catching fire due to a gap under the seat? Of course, if you throw a red hot poker down there that's another issue...

I don't see a way to do it with the seat installed. I didn't have to undo the wiring, just the 4 seat bolts and tip it back. Move the seat fwd to access the rear bolts, move the seat back to access the front bolts. Have someone hold the seat so it doesn't fall back. Make sure you dont pull on the wires when tipping it back. Here is a pic showing my fluke meter probe that fell in there, you can see the split in the carpet better. Once something falls in there, everytime you turn a corner you hear it slide back and forth. Yes its another overlooked bad design but what else can you do about it. Strips of foam worked for me. And it gives you full access to vacuum all the McDonald's fries under the seat.
Screenshot_20211207-114229_Gallery.jpg

I don't see a way to do it with the seat installed. I didn't have to undo the wiring, just the 4 seat bolts and tip it back. Move the seat fwd to access the rear bolts, move the seat back to access the front bolts. Have someone hold the seat so it doesn't fall back. Make sure you dont pull on the wires when tipping it back. Here is a pic showing my fluke meter probe that fell in there, you can see the split in the carpet better. Once something falls in there, everytime you turn a corner you hear it slide back and forth. Yes its another overlooked bad design but what else can you do about it. Strips of foam worked for me. And it gives you full access to vacuum all the McDonald's fries under the seat.View attachment 741710
Thanks