Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage door opener

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ended up using 3M dual lock to mount my opener on the backside of the screen and it has been great. I positioned it so that the button is right behind the fan symbol so I know where to press. This keeps in out of view for aesthetic and security reasons.
thats a great idea...I kept fumbling with the stupid console and opener.......what a simply great place to put it....thanks

MyQ via WiFi is not reliable, particularly for closing the door. Not just me, it is reported on multiple forums.

Completely agree. MyQ phone app works in the house and in my office and wherever there's a strong wifi, but not in my driveway.

And clicker behind the screen is not hidden out of sight. I can see it from the outside. But that’s what makes it your car, and mine is my car!!
I can tell you where to put your clicker where nobody will see it! :D As for mine, I'm good with its mounting location.

• Funny
Reactions: PhillyDoc
1) I have MyQ and it works flawlessly (I’m awesome)
2) Other than summon sometimes causing garage door to shut (very weird), auto open and close works amazingly well (I’m awesome)
3) $300 is worth it, and I would get it for sure if it didn’t already come with my 2018 M3 (I’m awesome)
4) Resale value would make that $300 worth it as well as you can tout that as a nice feature (not fully related to my awesomeness)

MyQ via WiFi is not reliable, particularly for closing the door. Not just me, it is reported on multiple forums.

Distance of the home link module is comparable to clicker.

And clicker behind the screen is not hidden out of sight. I can see it from the outside. But that’s what makes it your car, and mine is my car!! To each’s own!
Can only offer opinion and experience for others to decide!

I can tell you in 4 years of using MyQ over Wi-Fi I’ve never had an issue with it.

Completely agree. MyQ phone app works in the house and in my office and wherever there's a strong wifi, but not in my driveway.

I can tell you where to put your clicker where nobody will see it! :D As for mine, I'm good with its mounting location.

Sounds to me you have a weak Wi-Fi signal in your driveway (very typical) and your phone is holding on to that signal and failing to communicate with MyQ successfully. If it works in your house and in your office I bet it would work if you turned off your phone’s Wi-Fi in your driveway.

This wouldn’t be an issue if the car had its own MyQ app, since the car’s data is over cellular at all times (unless parked and connected to Wi-Fi or manually connected to Wi-Fi while driving).

Reactions: Runt8
I just had it installed a couple weeks ago, and it’s awesome! I love how it pops up the open option when I get closer to my house. It is very convenient. So much safer than the clip on. All it takes is someone breaking into your car, getting your garage door opener and your registration with home address, before that clip on starts to seem like a bad idea.
This is why I have my address block BLACKED OUT on my car copy of my registration.

Reactions: Kennymb5384
Sounds to me you have a weak Wi-Fi signal in your driveway (very typical) and your phone is holding on to that signal and failing to communicate with MyQ successfully. If it works in your house and in your office I bet it would work if you turned off your phone’s Wi-Fi in your driveway.

This wouldn’t be an issue if the car had its own MyQ app, since the car’s data is over cellular at all times (unless parked and connected to Wi-Fi or manually connected to Wi-Fi while driving).
This would be ideal. If the car had a MyQ app, it would know the state of the door like the phone app does, so it could be that more intelligent when approaching the garage. I.e. if the door is open already, don’t try to trigger an open/close event.

This would be ideal. If the car had a MyQ app, it would know the state of the door like the phone app does, so it could be that more intelligent when approaching the garage. I.e. if the door is open already, don’t try to trigger an open/close event.

Yup. The MyQ app integrated into the car would actually be better than HomeLink in so many ways.

1.) It would work from anywhere your car has cell signal, - I know some have had issues with the car's HomeLink range.
2.) You'd be able to see if the garage is open or closed from the app etc, as you suggest.

That's just a couple of benefits, - not to mention you don't need extra hardware.

And for the record this is not me hating on HomeLink. I have it in my 3 and enjoy it greatly. Just that a native app would be more flexible in many ways, and cheaper. Again, Tesla isn't likely to do it when they can charge you $300 for hardware module.

Yup. The MyQ app integrated into the car would actually be better than HomeLink in so many ways.

1.) It would work from anywhere your car has cell signal, - I know some have had issues with the car's HomeLink range.
2.) You'd be able to see if the garage is open or closed from the app etc, as you suggest.

That's just a couple of benefits, - not to mention you don't need extra hardware.

And for the record this is not me hating on HomeLink. I have it in my 3 and enjoy it greatly. Just that a native app would be more flexible in many ways, and cheaper. Again, Tesla isn't likely to do it when they can charge you $300 for hardware module.

If Tesla could get rid of Homelink, they definitely would. They hate paying licensing fees to anyone.

I like my MyQ but would not want it as my main method of entry - I have issues more often my car losing connection to the spotty AT&T service then issues with my HomeLink range. The MyQ hub works on many less systems than Homelink - the hub will not work on my gate (nor is it waterproof). To get MyQ on my gate, I would need to replace the gate opener which would cost at least $1,500 (plus would need to get my WiFi extended to the perimeter of my property).

I mentioned that I do not like using the visor clicker style openers because I had someone in the past break into my car, steal my registration and garage door opener out of my car, and a couple days later break into my garage.

Why didn’t you reset the garage door opener after the clicker was stolen? That would be the first thing I would do.

If Tesla could get rid of Homelink, they definitely would. They hate paying licensing fees to anyone.

I like my MyQ but would not want it as my main method of entry - I have issues more often my car losing connection to the spotty AT&T service then issues with my HomeLink range. The MyQ hub works on many less systems than Homelink - the hub will not work on my gate (nor is it waterproof). To get MyQ on my gate, I would need to replace the gate opener which would cost at least $1,500 (plus would need to get my WiFi extended to the perimeter of my property).

I have perfect cell service in Seattle in the car. Of course there will be cases where people just don’t have good service in the car, as you apparently don’t. And yes, Wi-Fi means having a compatible opener etc etc, or adding on a bridge. In any case, more options are good, no?

Why didn’t you reset the garage door opener after the clicker was stolen? That would be the first thing I would do.
I did not notice the clicker was gone. I swap with the wife on who parks in the garage. Usually I have her park in the garage because she takes the kids to school early, and doesn’t have to be in the rain. I knew they took the registration, but didn’t notice the clicker was gone...

I did not notice the clicker was gone. I swap with the wife on who parks in the garage. Usually I have her park in the garage because she takes the kids to school early, and doesn’t have to be in the rain. I knew they took the registration, but didn’t notice the clicker was gone...

D'oh. Bummer! That's literally the first thing I think about when someone tells me their car was broken into. Go figure!

Reactions: Kennymb5384
Depending on your garage door opener you may be able to clear the unit and program new "clickers" to use.