Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disable Walk-Away Lock Theft

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car was robbed by a thief who was able to keep my Walk-Away Door Lock from activating. Reviewing my Sentry footage, as my family walked away from the car in the back, he walked next to my car and depressed the door handle, thus cracking open the door and preventing the Walk-Away Door Lock from activating. He continued walking to not appear conspicuous but returned later to open the trunk and doors to remove multiple items.
Lesson learned to confirm the door lock before leaving the vicinity of the car. I shared the Sentry footage with the police but he was wearing a mask so was hard to ID.

My car was robbed by a thief who was able to keep my Walk-Away Door Lock from activating. Reviewing my Sentry footage, as my family walked away from the car in the back, he walked next to my car and depressed the door handle, thus cracking open the door and preventing the Walk-Away Door Lock from activating. He continued walking to not appear conspicuous but returned later to open the trunk and doors to remove multiple items.
Lesson learned to confirm the door lock before leaving the vicinity of the car. I shared the Sentry footage with the police but he was wearing a mask so was hard to ID.
I have my car set to fart when it locks. I listen for the fart ;)

My car was robbed by a thief who was able to keep my Walk-Away Door Lock from activating. Reviewing my Sentry footage, as my family walked away from the car in the back, he walked next to my car and depressed the door handle, thus cracking open the door and preventing the Walk-Away Door Lock from activating.

Sorry to hear about your experience.

An open door would prevent ANY locking attempt from succeeding. Automatic or manual.
Always keep an eye on miscreants hanging around your car. As you leave or return to your car. Even if your car is locked.

a

Reactions: rpiotro
This is why I don’t like or trust the walk away lock. I wish Tesla had a button or something to lock the car outside. I’ve made it a habit to hit the lock icon on the screen before getting out now.

Otherwise you have to use the app or purchase a key fob to lock it manually before walking away.

Reactions: tzgator
I sometimes get a notification that a door has been left open but it doesn't come for a while. It would be helpful if we got the notification sooner or were notified that the auto lock feature cannot be engaged because of an open door. I wonder if this can be done in Bolt/Tasker. Many other cars have a separate sound for both conditions.
Adding a video for context. To any onlookers, the thief just looks like he is walking in between the cars when in actuality, he is opening the door to return when the driver is out of the area.

I dislike the phone autolock because it is way too slow for me. I walk with a purpose and I am generally 100 to 200 feet away from the car before it locks. If it's noisy I sometimes am far enough away that I don't hear it chirp and have to check the app. Not sure why it's so slow. Since it won't unlock until I am right next to the car it seems like it should be able to lock sooner. How about a user setting to set that time for locking.

That's terrible.

For another type of problem people should think about enabling "Driver's Door Unlock Mode" and making sure "Unlock on Park" is disabled.

I have had people run up and try to open the trunk or a passenger door while I'm sitting in the car waiting for somebody.
You feel the car rock as somebody quickly grabs a handle and gives it a pull...finds it useless and bolts away.

Driver Door Unlock Mode​

Last edited:
This is why I don’t like or trust the walk away lock. I wish Tesla had a button or something to lock the car outside. I’ve made it a habit to hit the lock icon on the screen before getting out now.

Otherwise you have to use the app or purchase a key fob to lock it manually before walking away.
Like you, I don't trust the "walk away" lock either. I always keep one of the key cards in my pants pocket and just tap the B-pillar on the driver's side as I'm leaving and ensure it's locked. I find key fobs in general a bit of a pain to continually carry around, but the key card in my front pocket is not something I tend to notice. it's quicker for me than pulling up the app on my phone to ensure the car is locked.

That is a ridiculous customer experience!
No-one in the right mind will remember to repeatedly go through that sequence of activities on each and every car exit!
It’s become normal now for me when I get out. Or if I need to get stuff out of the trunk it other doors I will lock it with my key fob before walking away.

Is it annoying? Absolutely. But there’s no other alternative.