TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Gas Station Service

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by doug, Apr 28, 2010.

1. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Someone should tell that to the gas stations around here. Besides the one on campus, you gotta put in quarters to get air or water.

2. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

All you do is ask the cashier to turn it on. Some give you the money and some have a remote switch. It's smarmy they do it this way.

3. shark2k

shark2k Member

You know they do it that way cause 99.99% of the population probably doesn't know they don't need to pay so they make some money on the deal.

I wish it was like that in Jersey. We have to pay for air (anywhere from 25 cents to 75 cents from what I've seen/remember). I'm not sure about the water for the radiator though.

-Shark2k

4. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

That's very different from Norway where the gas station attendants know nothing of cars or anything technical really but you've got free soap water to wash your windows, paper towels, air for tires (or bicycles or fotballs), water and probably slow charging for your EV if you ask nicely. All self operated of course since our wages are way too high to pay anyone to do this for you...

Cobos

5. shark2k

shark2k Member

Only 2 states in the US are "full-service" gas stations. Of course all that means is some one pumps your gas. I live in one of those states and it is actually illegal to pump your own gas. The people of this great state apparently don't want to go to self-service like the rest of the country, I would love it.

Of course when I get an electric vehicle it will be self-service and I'll be happy :biggrin:.

-Shark2k

6. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

What does "forced" pumping do to the price?

We are now being forced to check out our own groceries -without any discount in cost.

7. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#7 TEG, Apr 29, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
    http://www.stateline.org/live/details/story?contentId=110510

8. shark2k

shark2k Member

#8 shark2k, Apr 30, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
    @TEG: We sure did lol.

vfx, what TEG posted is more than I could have said about the subject. Gas around me is like $2.60ish for cash and $2.70ish credit, so you can use that to compare. I personally never felt that full service was great because back in the days they use to clean the windows and small stuff that didn't take long while filling your tank. Now all they do is fill 'er up and you get strange looks when you ask for them to clean your window. I would love NJ to go self-service, but I don't see it happening anytime in the near future (if at all).

-Shark2k

9. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

10. shark2k

shark2k Member