Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gateway 1, 2 and WPA2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Gigaron

San Bruno
Supporting Member
Jan 17, 2019
San Francisco
I have Gateway 1 and it won’t connect to my home network which uses WPA2 security. Anyone know if Gateway 2 supports WPA2? The Gateway manuals don’t give that spec.

It’s also funny that the manual says that Wi-Fi is the primary connectivity. Tesla never connected it to my home Wi-Fi — and there is no WiFi antenna. Just 2 cellular stubs at the top. I have to stand in front of it to login.

Yes, our gateway 2 connects to a WPA2 network I setup just for the solar stuff.

The SSID it broadcasts is pretty weak for local access so you do need to be close to login to it. But that might be by design so you are required to be close to access it that way.

When connecting to another network it has pretty good reception even a good distant from an access point or router.

Ours was connected to wifi during install when one of the Tesla installers asked for our WiFi password (one of the reasons I setup a separate network for it). They have cellular connectivity via an AT&T sim in them as well. When connected via WiFi they upload data on a shorter interval than just cellular also.

Last edited:
I have Gateway 1 and it won’t connect to my home network which uses WPA2 security. Anyone know if Gateway 2 supports WPA2? The Gateway manuals don’t give that spec.

It’s also funny that the manual says that Wi-Fi is the primary connectivity. Tesla never connected it to my home Wi-Fi — and there is no WiFi antenna. Just 2 cellular stubs at the top. I have to stand in front of it to login.

I have a Gateway 1 talking on my home WiFi network, which does WPA2 (multiple Ubiquiti UniFi access points). The connection is a little fragile but works well most of the time. (Specifically if I have to take down or reboot the associated access point, the Gateway falls back to cellular access rather than try a different access point.) To my knowledge, both Gateway 1 and Gateway 2 work fine on WPA2 networks, although I don't have any authoritative information in front of me.

The WiFi antenna is internal so there's nothing to see.

When you say you need to stand in front of it to login, do you mean login over the Gateway's own WiFi network? Once logged in, you should be able to configure the WiFi settings. Usually Tesla (or a third-party installer if applicable) will do that during the initial install, but it's definitely do-able by a sufficiently knowledgeable end customer.

Stupid troubleshooting questions:

Does your WiFi network cover the area where your Gateway is?

Does your Powerwall system show up in the Tesla mobile app?

Bruce.

I have a Gateway 1 talking on my home WiFi network, which does WPA2 (multiple Ubiquiti UniFi access points). The connection is a little fragile but works well most of the time. (Specifically if I have to take down or reboot the associated access point, the Gateway falls back to cellular access rather than try a different access point.) To my knowledge, both Gateway 1 and Gateway 2 work fine on WPA2 networks, although I don't have any authoritative information in front of me.

The WiFi antenna is internal so there's nothing to see.

When you say you need to stand in front of it to login, do you mean login over the Gateway's own WiFi network? Once logged in, you should be able to configure the WiFi settings. Usually Tesla (or a third-party installer if applicable) will do that during the initial install, but it's definitely do-able by a sufficiently knowledgeable end customer.

Stupid troubleshooting questions:

Does your WiFi network cover the area where your Gateway is?

Does your Powerwall system show up in the Tesla mobile app?

Bruce.
Gateway is outside the house so no signal inside - have to stand in front of it to see the TEG network. Faint house signal outside. Installer did not link to house WiFi. Follow the steps to link to my house WiFi and it hangs. I have dual band WPA2 only. PW show up in the app.