Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gateway MAC address

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not that I'm aware of (or it's no on my version 1 of the gateway). I can see it on my eero app for my home wifi.

The manufacture of the ethernet chipset in the gateway is Winsystems. Inc and it's 00:01:45.
The manufacture of the Wifi chipset is Redpine Signals Inc, and it's 00:23:a7

Thanks @zanary. Getting PW2s installed and wanted to get the router configured with static IPs before they hooked up but looks like I'll have to wait and issue DHCP IP addresses to get the MACs.

I have a version 1, revision 1 of the gateway being an early adopter (the gateway without the black reset button). I've had to some some internal parts of it replaced, and when that occurred, my MAC address changed. Just an FYI.

Thanks @zanary. Getting PW2s installed and wanted to get the router configured with static IPs before they hooked up but looks like I'll have to wait and issue DHCP IP addresses to get the MACs.

After install, I just went in my router and designated the dhcp address that was assigned to the gateway as its designated address (rather than give it a static IP outside my dhcp range).

All set, thanks. When the installer setup the gateway yesterday, there was an option to specify the IP so that made it event simpler. Now to figure out the API, and why the battery % differs between the app and web interface.

All set, thanks. When the installer setup the gateway yesterday, there was an option to specify the IP so that made it event simpler. Now to figure out the API, and why the battery % differs between the app and web interface.
I think someone eon here said that the app shows 100%, but it's really at 90%, and the true 100% is only accessible during Storm Watch. During Storm Watch, the last 10% charges off the grid very slowly, similar to that of our Model S/X.

I think someone eon here said that the app shows 100%, but it's really at 90%, and the true 100% is only accessible during Storm Watch. During Storm Watch, the last 10% charges off the grid very slowly, similar to that of our Model S/X.

App shows 16% and web shows 21%. It's a new battery. PV won't be hooked up until later this week.

App shows 16% and web shows 21%. It's a new battery. PV won't be hooked up until later this week.

Thats normal. Someone here posted a chart showing the sliding scale difference. 100% is 100% in both places, but I am fairly certain that 0% in the app is like 5% battery, and it scales up.

TL ; DR -- normal for app and direct web interface not to read the same, nothing wrong with your system.

EDIT: Found one of the threads, here you go:

Gateway Website PowerWall Reading off by 4%

I'm not entirely sure how accurate "10%" is given how the Pack Energy is returned through the Powerwall APIs. For example this is the result for my Powerwall:

{"response":{"site_name":"Home Energy Gateway","id":"1<id>","energy_left":12348.842105263157,"total_pack_energy":12492,"percentage_charged":98.854003404284,"battery_power":-10}}

- Energy Left aligns perfectly with Percentage Charged x Total Pack Energy.
- If Energy Left is really 98.85% of 90% (with the last 10% as reserve) then the "Real" Total Pack Energy would be 12,492 / .9 = 13,880wh, which is higher than the spec sheet's statement of 13,500wh usable. Doesn't add up.

What's possible, I guess, is that the API is actually adjusting for the "full" pack power rather than "usable", which is 14,000wh according to the spec sheet. 90% of 14,000wh = 12,600wh which is pretty close to my Total Pack Energy (minus degradation over the last year). Why Tesla would list 13,500wh as the "usable" but then adjust reporting to 90% of 14,000wh or 12,600wh (which is almost a full kilowatt hour less!) is what's confusing me. Marketing? Post-production changes? Of course without official word from Tesla this is all speculation...

Oh, and the 4% quoted in the linked thread above is suspiciously close to the difference between 14,000wh total vs 13,500wh usable.

The original mobile app actually just showed the percentage as returned by the API. There was a change made to the app about a year back to no longer show the reserve percentage (5%) as part of the available percentage. At 5% real charge (as returned by the API), the app shows 0. At 100%, both are the same. The 4% in the thread was just because the Powerwalls had were charged to the point that the mobile app and API were off by that amount.

Note that this calculation is done in the mobile app, so the numbers from the API are unaltered. In addition to the 5% buffer they decided to add, it's generally thought that 100% is also less than the full capacity of the batteries, as Stormwatch puts a significant amount of energy into the batteries even after they reach 100%. That is a completely separate issue, though, and has nothing to do with difference between app and API numbers.