Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gateway off LAN after power outage (1.17.2)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just wanted to report an interesting scenario. I had a power outage yesterday and the Gateway is no longer connected to the LAN. I presume it fell back to cellular because my router rebooted when the power went out. Unfortunately I'm traveling now and have no physical access to try to get it to reset back to the LAN.

Note that ,y Gateway is connected to my LAN by Ethernet.

So your router rebooted and presumably you have internet again, but the powerwall didn't switch back to Ethernet after your router came back online? That seems odd. I could see why it would use cellular for the few minutes while your modem/router is booting up, but it should switch back to Ethernet after that.

I'm also on Ethernet and I have tested flipping the main breaker and my cable modem/router didn't go out. But that was awhile ago before 1.17, maybe I should try it again.

That's correct. I will try to report the issue to Powerwall support, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to communicate the issue to them.

I am actually somewhat surprised the router rebooted because the Powerwalls were discharging at the time of the outage, so I expected the transition to be more seamless.

When I get home, I'll try running through the wizard to see if something changed in the network setup.

When I get home, I'll try running through the wizard to see if something changed in the network setup.

I would recommend you power-cycle your router or if you have switch/hub in your network topology that you power-cycle your switch the gateway terminates to. I have had a few odd communication issues with my gateway that go away once I power-cycled the network device the gateway was terminated to. Not saying that it will fix the issue but it might and is less intrusive than running through the wizard.

Not saying that it will fix the issue but it might and is less intrusive than running through the wizard.

The main reason I want to run through the wizard to see if there's any evidence of a configuration change that's preventing it from reconnecting to the network. I shouldn't need to change anything.

I'll definitely also try unplugging the network cable and power-cycling various components once I have physical access again.