TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Gateway off LAN after power outage (1.17.2)

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by cwied, Jun 28, 2018.

1. cwied

cwied Member

I just wanted to report an interesting scenario. I had a power outage yesterday and the Gateway is no longer connected to the LAN. I presume it fell back to cellular because my router rebooted when the power went out. Unfortunately I'm traveling now and have no physical access to try to get it to reset back to the LAN.

Note that ,y Gateway is connected to my LAN by Ethernet.

2. Shygar

Shygar Member

So your router rebooted and presumably you have internet again, but the powerwall didn't switch back to Ethernet after your router came back online? That seems odd. I could see why it would use cellular for the few minutes while your modem/router is booting up, but it should switch back to Ethernet after that.

I'm also on Ethernet and I have tested flipping the main breaker and my cable modem/router didn't go out. But that was awhile ago before 1.17, maybe I should try it again.

3. cwied

cwied Member

That's correct. I will try to report the issue to Powerwall support, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to communicate the issue to them.

I am actually somewhat surprised the router rebooted because the Powerwalls were discharging at the time of the outage, so I expected the transition to be more seamless.

When I get home, I'll try running through the wizard to see if something changed in the network setup.

4. Brovane

Brovane Member

I would recommend you power-cycle your router or if you have switch/hub in your network topology that you power-cycle your switch the gateway terminates to. I have had a few odd communication issues with my gateway that go away once I power-cycled the network device the gateway was terminated to. Not saying that it will fix the issue but it might and is less intrusive than running through the wizard.

5. cwied

cwied Member

The main reason I want to run through the wizard to see if there's any evidence of a configuration change that's preventing it from reconnecting to the network. I shouldn't need to change anything.

I'll definitely also try unplugging the network cable and power-cycling various components once I have physical access again.

6. cwied

cwied Member

An update: tonight at 8 pm, the gateway reconnected to the LAN. It looks like the reconnection happens, just not very quickly. The power went out at 3 pm yesterday, came back on around 1:45 am today.

• Informative x 2