Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gauging Interest: Model S Front Caliper Upgrade Kit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are a couple photos showing fitment of the stock 18" wheel; a big benefit over the PUP calipers.

*Excuse my dirty calipers, just got back from a HPDE and have not had time to clean*

iNZrM88CKMP9r7UL1XS-euQCxa61142YOjmv2R5t2LGiZlbD2LbfftU167w6t01ijIUlU-x5KGXwVIDlXrVAK9apZ91c9WJK490jG3xBc1F2NnfL-sjBAjrB246--FV5IJGUIe1uibo2u6reMfmHvEiB6S6_Bayxw9RxEZ26Epe7gMXOjzCwMSMwFu3a3RcRzz7uMwIG4JdlfGXaAaKXQEGuJCiZIfpMEPY1AH4RYMr597ZeTZAGcgGNh94delxFGOR7okfsc_Avh8udJCs2Nq8ZU8AjGqr6BuAbODUdE9tjfb1L9H0OKiilmk6rdG1nAujo1E08ih8_KhcAIS_XPUl7WAXafUn_nO_VfGxZdUtovii8uKKa2n1rzlazESXfslIm1elpH7bapBd3GHwLtisFsdhol6nrH3wmlOqsShEaBJamP12DtlRezNCyYHXdQAiycPge38pTtuufZF2p-7hrcf15_VJKjDpLDpJqi0IETcz0WD4JP0700q8hkAGcHuzVIRS14vq7K0RVKbuYV-JtkHqVN1Ujyr-NDMCeNzCUJ-2Vn84TsYax_raouuWW9h-5Px9N95v7XK3TP3kbckKEvQuzPhXj_fyaheaqKErJ9yYAfc_hO3vTDCzCQTbHZRMtL_5-gj05IC6oBzjOH2My__fuPf8=w1010-h757-no

YhZc6rl8kRSMKH22yfJfFErSvKZ3gfvgHDpeP4kNfGRX8wD-vCGtNIh2Kn7xqggo27Yn_quvjXdkNA9WWnLBfbd5gIUdFXZL3e0DnGU7HXznqx9YvtAzqA-y9lOqZHhBetgCK7fOTNEKy1BPJm_bKwA1CGQwXKd4DsvxYgIts_Busfazz-ezjr6vUV_c-tGY37XBv5lfP97m6WgiTnUccCjkdz_LRR8bMQ84Z077ayEmC4SwmQdLhg8JGifwIadMlkOMgwOjKiFN3J-M0K0qj7iMtlnewd3RxqbJ9MLy8a0twnT5hg2Wj-dvem2_nvDeF6R-YBmgC6svWkytHCEhua68TdCa7jWPu7NcvZLo1gG22u9xZD9JEByUCtp4eI9gfnkPDD_br1usJjnbRxPEQA_UG-ChRMmFdACTFD3WA8Ci3I5tRNDPirIGIQgTIdJKzW3UNqoYkf9cIgpo54uXAN1adlXjRaTvjL7aBc4IsuLS9GOa4WHfaW-4i4ZTxn7F7GqSeiL4ME-ipWQgtywpBLQhrj809jLRWzUvj8quYMvIyW29WcJ7gg7jgOU1_eFfGgBcdv8Y6C8OgGOxC00hhr-REUV7n4Ep1eF0WurQ7fmem6g5uLxHB8p9x69VW0FCBW9BP60Gv4XXvPpXI489wB37YA9cxj4=w1010-h757-no

9xzONb3QjWszuU_sSSXZUu5WRZ5CwLEfMv7qabg2_3fL_nsRLY6k0gqFMy5pReFSpWjZ5Bs_3DKJG6G4k8QBEZJovEJw_AXKt9J64iDM3q_ahL1ejDmhqApwXSBEmABGTDljqL6OvXkP7ofjo7E7-XQetzlME52cVPnXEsPZUYF-W2WNo-693Z-8grWLU_dC1O_8GJngWRcm4i3QxvTc-uYUjUSqF2DWDvC9mjKMN4kGaeJOoED9hrR02n0ougkm-H3zg7xHt1sUU5wdHCN7j4izP-sQp29aVGnCv5kIpNyU25-45d4J4emSBjRIAVcDv91LNVJ3r0p29N9KCilV66Sij8-SXvdMXuiPAxJnvaoGRF71CM11AcNFNxTmfkgR7OIc5RViPxaoBlNsJggKmHFKN13lBa08gPK2jBME9uCxpmuFRIBEFx1BoSbDZQgbzLYXgqsUcV4TEEB_wORiRASrVizjtBOYVAzWTd4JhqYFoGNd7UHG3l6YNRpSQqMePoM8dZCVR8qViD12P7T86u4HuoIMtlMjxTn2EQPkZf0carVlVxYfOY-p98EKB0MRNKww3_XG9d2HlquBXKauEwo3R1qwFmtSQFpT5H39HTHbnslrT_reAiNCuqMX3zTSr7byRIkcRvgDjkpS2H2i9LKNRRsY8fs=w1010-h757-no

I tracked my full stock M3P in 3 sessions and no brake fade happened. Maybe change the pads and fluid when I have better tires, but the rotors look pretty capable. I will not risk all the mess just for higher potential may never be used. If so I would directly go for the carbon ceramic ones.

I tracked my full stock M3P in 3 sessions and no brake fade happened. Maybe change the pads and fluid when I have better tires, but the rotors look pretty capable. I will not risk all the mess just for higher potential may never be used. If so I would directly go for the carbon ceramic ones.

I am glad to hear the car in stock configuration is up to the task of light track-duty, but the stock brakes were not designed to handle aggressive braking with sticky tires. There is no stock car (excluding carbon ceramic brakes and supercars) that is (because they are loud and squeaky as all heck).

When I tracked my BMW F80 M3 with the stock rotors, upgraded pads, and upgraded fluid I burned through the pads at Watkins Glen in 2 days (eight sessions). That car had a much larger brake setup than the P3D+ and weighed 400lbs less.

If for no other reason, rotors with a higher thermal capacity will help those expensive pads last longer. The one-piece rotor kit is for people with non PUP brakes looking to upgrade for cosmetic/light-duty purposes. The two-piece rotor kit will be for those looking for the maximum in braking performance for heavy track-duty. Carbon Ceramic brakes are in a realm of their own (we're talking many multiple thousands of dollars here).

Just the one from last night didn't show up. 1st page is fine.

And if we were to start sourcing the Model S caliper, what should we look for?

eBay is probably your best bet, that or junk-yards.

Lightweight, Two-Piece Rotors will be in on Thursday in time for VIR next weekend. I've also got Stainless Steel lines coming to finish the package.

Again, expected pricing for the One-Piece Rotor Kit will be roughly $500-$600, the Two-Piece Rotor Kit will be just under $1,000.

eBay is probably your best bet, that or junk-yards.

Lightweight, Two-Piece Rotors will be in on Thursday in time for VIR next weekend. I've also got Stainless Steel lines coming to finish the package.

Again, expected pricing for the One-Piece Rotor Kit will be roughly $500-$600, the Two-Piece Rotor Kit will be just under $1,000.

I got mine on EBAY. I don't think the calipers that I bought need to be rebuild but what is the rebuild/seal kit part number for people that need to? Also, what is the torque spec for the caliper bolts?

Reactions: tracksyde
Racing Brake is offering a range of 2 piece rotors (S, 3 with big brakes, 3 with standard brakes), admittedly at a premium, with convergent vane design that reportedly increases cooling air flow. Big plus for those with deeper budgets is that the rotors save significant unsprung weight. I suspect that the convergent vane design, on the 3 PUP brakes, will be roughly comparable to the stock S brakes, at a cost premium but with a weight reduction instead of weight gain. Here is a white paper written by numerous PhDs, explaining the technical details on how various design and structural parameters effect heat dissipation. I doubt anyone would want to read this (I sure didn't) but you can surf to the conclusions on page 109. The curved convergent vane design of these rotors appears to be the smart way to reduce weight, and get better management of thermal stresses - for a price of course. It's all tradeoffs. While putting on S calipers and rotors might be the best value for increasing braking thermal capacity/per $, the weight difference between S brakes and rotors vs. PUP brakes with these lighter weight rotors might be as much as 20-25 lbs/corner. That's a lot of weight, and its importance is magnified if you are tracking the car, as weight for sure is your main enemy for all aspects. I'm reminded of Colin Chapman's aphorism, "do your best design, and then add lightness!"

I've ordered a set of four, due to arrive in a week. I'll post pictures, and impressions, although at this point, I'm not tracking the car.

Did you get the RB rotors? One thing I would like to know is if the rotor hats are thicker than OEM PUP rotors and do they eliminate the step in the hub? That is one of MPP’s selling points for their rotor upgrades for the PUP brakes.

Did you get the RB rotors? One thing I would like to know is if the rotor hats are thicker than OEM PUP rotors and do they eliminate the step in the hub? That is one of MPP’s selling points for their rotor upgrades for the PUP brakes.

Both MPP and RB aftermarket rotors have aluminum hats that effectively eliminate the lip on the Performance brake models. They also effectively add about 4 millimeters or 3 to 4 mm of offset or technically subtract the same amount from your traditional offset number