Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gave up on the ESE carbon wheel hopes and installed T-Sportline 22" wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery on my MX in May 2016 and put a deposit on the ESE carbon wheels last August. I finally decided to stop waiting for the carbon wheels (to their credit, ESE promptly refunded my deposit when asked and always communicated during the process) and instead went with the 22" T-Sportline spoked wheels.

I hope ESE or someone else figures out how to deliver carbon wheels, but in the meantime, these give the MX an aggressive, but appropriate look. They were delivered with tires about a week after being ordered.

MX Wrap.jpg

Are they lighter than stock 22" and 20" wheels? If so, have you noticed any improvement in energy consumption?

T-Sportline makes the following claim on its website:

The MX118 wheel set is approximately 24% lighter than the Tesla 22” Turbine staggered wheel set.
The MX118 wheel set is approximately 9% lighter than the Tesla 20” Slipstream staggered wheel set.​

I suspect that claim is accurate, but I don't have enough miles on them to determine if it improves energy consumption. I have a couple road trips coming up and would be in a better position to comment after that.

Reactions: larmor
T-Sportline makes the following claim on its website:

The MX118 wheel set is approximately 24% lighter than the Tesla 22” Turbine staggered wheel set.
The MX118 wheel set is approximately 9% lighter than the Tesla 20” Slipstream staggered wheel set.​

I suspect that claim is accurate, but I don't have enough miles on them to determine if it improves energy consumption. I have a couple road trips coming up and would be in a better position to comment after that.
Ok... But has your 30 mile average consumption improved? For example, if i set our MX from low to very low setting, the energy consumption meter shows minor improvement 3-5 wh/mile. (who knows if that is statistically significant)

Since t-sportsline has not reported any improvement in efficiency, i would speculate there is none. The market for upgraded wheels which improve efficiency would be definable and large when dealing with EVs and range issues.

Ok... But has your 30 mile average consumption improved? For example, if i set our MX from low to very low setting, the energy consumption meter shows minor improvement 3-5 wh/mile. (who knows if that is statistically significant)

Since t-sportsline has not reported any improvement in efficiency, i would speculate there is none. The market for upgraded wheels which improve efficiency would be definable and large when dealing with EVs and range issues.

I have never looked at the 30 mile average consumption (before or after the new wheels), so I couldn't comment on it. I would agree that there probably isn't an efficiency improvement or T-Sportline would promote it. Because I use my MX almost exclusively for commuting and short trips near Austin, I haven't been focused on the range. I have a trip to Dallas coming up (which I have made three times) that will give me an opportunity to see if there is any noticeable improvement.