Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gemini Tire replacement - anything better than OEM? (all season)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am at 28K miles and tires look fine. I'll measure later, but I think I should get 50K on my set. MY LR with Contis.
I believe you! I’ve been around TMC long enough to know that some people get a lot of life out of their tires. I also know that others like myself burn through them fairly quickly. I swear I’m not hot off the starting line (at least I try not to be) and yet I will still need to replace these after 20k. Still looking for recommendations on a long lasting 19” Model Y tire.

At 22,700 miles, I replaced my OEM with upsized (255/50r19) Quatrac Pros. I had 4/32" when I replaced the OEM. I would have gone a little longer, but snow season was starting.

I now have 35,500 miles on my Quatrac Pros, and they look like they'll make it to 50,000.

Pros: Quieter, more comfortable, way better rain traction, WAY better snow traction, >2x tread life, less expensive.

Cons: Poorer steering response, ~5% range loss (closer to 10% when new.) Note: both of these may have been exasperated by the larger size.

Larger size...
Pros: . Extra 1/2" of ground clearance, softer ride, and better look.

Cons: see above, plus ~0.3 second slower 0-60 (after considering the needed 3% speedometer correction), speedometer error. OEM speedometer read 1.5% high, now it reads 1.5% low (e.g. 68 is really almost 70).

One more thing, if you increase the tire size, 255/50r19 is about as tall as you can go on OEM rims. See: 255/50r19 quatrac pro on Gemeni w pics
How’s the speedo impact on the larger tires?

At 22,700 miles, I replaced my OEM with upsized (255/50r19) Quatrac Pros. I had 4/32" when I replaced the OEM. I would have gone a little longer, but snow season was starting.

I now have 35,500 miles on my Quatrac Pros, and they look like they'll make it to 50,000.

Pros: Quieter, more comfortable, way better rain traction, WAY better snow traction, >2x tread life, less expensive.

Cons: Poorer steering response, ~5% range loss (closer to 10% when new.) Note: both of these may have been exasperated by the larger size.

Larger size...
Pros: . Extra 1/2" of ground clearance, softer ride, and better look.

Cons: see above, plus ~0.3 second slower 0-60 (after considering the needed 3% speedometer correction), speedometer error. OEM speedometer read 1.5% high, now it reads 1.5% low (e.g. 68 is really almost 70).

One more thing, if you increase the tire size, 255/50r19 is about as tall as you can go on OEM rims. See: 255/50r19 quatrac pro on Gemeni w pics
@MY-Y
What correction is possible?
“after considering the needed 3% speedometer correction“

@MY-Y
What correction is possible?
“after considering the needed 3% speedometer
Aaah. The speedo related to the 0-60 time...

From 1.5% high to 1.5% low =~3% difference. My scanmytesla records 0-60 using the speed the car thinks it's going. With AB, my 0-60 on OEM tires reports ~4.2 seconds. This was really 0-59. With the taller tires, it reports ~4.7 seconds. That's really 0-61. 4.7 seconds / 1.03 = 4
56 seconds; it's roughly 0.3 seconds slower. (The 2 MPH from 59 to 61 is a bit slower than the average 2 MPH gain in the 0-59 run, so the 0.3 second estimate is very close.) I know this is a bit convoluted; I hope that makes sense.

Aaah. The speedo related to the 0-60 time...

From 1.5% high to 1.5% low =~3% difference. My scanmytesla records 0-60 using the speed the car thinks it's going. With AB, my 0-60 on OEM tires reports ~4.2 seconds. This was really 0-59. With the taller tires, it reports ~4.7 seconds. That's really 0-61. 4.7 seconds / 1.03 = 4
56 seconds; it's roughly 0.3 seconds slower. (The 2 MPH from 59 to 61 is a bit slower than the average 2 MPH gain in the 0-59 run, so the 0.3 second estimate is very close.) I know this is a bit convoluted; I hope that makes sense.
Thanks
When driving don’t just remember the diff or use an app like Waze that reports speed?