Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gemini Winter Wheel & Tire Package Now Online

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tires are also different on the model 3 set, look at the tread

4 Tires-$1024, $256 each on TireRack
4 Sensors- $300, $75 each

Call it $1500 for those two with mount/balance and tax

So they are charging about $500 a wheel for the Gemini

Last edited:
18 inch which will not fit the MY...
Hopefully my response to this comment helps others: the model 3 aero wheels most certainly DO FIT on the long range model Y. I moved my model 3 wheels with Nokia studless tires to my model Y this winter and have riven a few hundred miles. Close fitment around the rotors up front, but that’s the only thing of note. I don’t understand why people speculate about fitment, saying they don’t fit, and turn people off from using those nice 18”. Hopefully my notes help someone in similar situation moving from a model 3.

Hopefully my response to this comment helps others: the model 3 aero wheels most certainly DO FIT on the long range model Y. I moved my model 3 wheels with Nokia studless tires to my model Y this winter and have riven a few hundred miles. Close fitment around the rotors up front, but that’s the only thing of note. I don’t understand why people speculate about fitment, saying they don’t fit, and turn people off from using those nice 18”. Hopefully my notes help someone in similar situation moving from a model 3.

There are load issues with them. Possibly you’re ok if the vehicle isn’t loaded much... but toss a bunch of stuff in the back and load up with passengers and you’ve overloaded the wheels. Not recommended and can be downright dangerous.

It’s too easy during holiday periods for owners to get complacent and forget about loading issues and go skiing with the full family and gear or something. Spend some extra bucks and buy the proper equipment, either from Tesla or a 3rd party like TSportline for cheaper.

That’s not bad, I think I was quoted over $600/wheel when I asked about a month ago if I could just buy the Gemini wheels. Absolutely insane price, but I think Tesla realized they were “giving” the wheels away when the Aeros were ~$225/each from them last year. I wouldn’t be surprised if Aeros jumped outside the package prices.

Okay, perhaps a poor choice of words on my part so let me elaborate and clarify.

The M3 winter tire/rim package on Tesla's store that is $2000 is for a M3. While these may physically bolt on and clearance on a MY, that does not mean it is a fit. For me, a fit means the entire package must work and in the context of this thread, purchasing something to use on a MY for winter driving means buying rims+tires, which is what I was referring to since that is what is being sold by Tesla.

The MY is spec'ed for a 255/45R19 tire size which translates into a 28 inch diameter and 720 revolutions per mile. So this what the MY speedometer and odometer is calibrated against.

The M3 tire package on Tesla's store is 235/45R18 which translates into a 26.3 inch diameter and 766 revs/mile.

Tire Size Comparison

So by installing this package on a MY you will end up with errors in recorded mileage and speed. 60 MPH on the display will actually be 56.4 MPH, which is going to mess up a lot of things including over reporting on the odometer (your MY will indicate it has driven more miles than it actually has done) and any road trips and getting to charging stations will be messed up a bit. That is a 6.1 percent error, and most tire shops would not recommend installing something that far off. So in the context of using this package on a MY, I'd have to say that they are not a fit.

However, if you have and want to re-use these 18 inch rims on your MY, a better choice of tire for a MY would be 235/55R18 which is 28.2 inch diameter and 716 rev/mile. So while not a perfect substitute, it is only off by 0.7 percent, and a speedometer reading of 60 MPH would actually be 60.4 MPH so your odometer would be under reporting your actual mileage by a bit. It all depends on what you can find that will fit and properly mount on that rim and has a proper load rating for the MY. So re-using the same tires that were on these rims for your M3 may not be a good choice, but if installing new rubber, then perhaps okay.

And while on that topic, there is also the load rating aspect as previously mentioned by another forum member that you need to take into consideration. I have no idea about the ratings on the rim itself.

So yes, this rim+tire package for the M3 as sold on the Tesla store may bolt on to your MY, whether or not it is a "fit" for your MY is debatable. And if you have these 18 inch rims left over from a M3, as long as their load rating is suitable for the MY, they clearance the mechanicals, and you install the correct sized tire, then they could also work.

Approx $500 per wheel is pretty high considering there are sets of four selling for $750 on the forum.

Just buy some winter tires, TPMS and save $1250.

19" Gemini Wheels & Covers Model Y - MY - $750