Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 1 to Gen 2 Hood Refresh question: Hood Striker help needed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. So I finished my front bumper refresh conversion on my 2014 MS P85 to a 2017 MS bumper. Looks great but the overbite between the edge of the hood and bumper has been driving me. I saw a few posts where fellow owners installed a Gen 2 hood to eliminate the overbite. IMO it also completes the look.

I decided to purchase a Gen 2 hood that obviously has the single striker set up. Problem is my '14 MS has the double latch/striker set up. I "thought" I could just install the double striker that's currently on my Gen 1 hood to the Gen 2 hood, but the holes do not line up. Gen 2 holes are wider. I'm not sure where to go from here so I'm reaching out to the community. Any creative ideas or has anyone come up with a solution that they're currently using?

(I found one source that makes a custom double hood striker to fit the Gen 2 single hood setup, EVFIXME and Rockwell, but they're not making any until next year which would be too long.)

Have you seen a refreshed bumper with the refreshed hood? just wondering if it looks that much different. Also what did you do about the gap. I'm really thinking about going the unplugged way but I know that overbite would drive me crazy!

Yep, I saw one over the weekend. The hood fit perfectly and it had the refresh headlights as well. It looked just like a newer model so if you can examine one up close, that's exactly how your car will look if you installed a refresh hood and bumper. I have the original hood on mine with the refresh bumper and you can tell there's a difference. It's not bad, but it does look different with the bumper sticking out past the edge of the hood. I even had my Tesla emblem slanted to help with the profile... It helps a little, but again, IMO it's not quite what I'm ready to live with anymore.

I purchased a gap filler made by TheCharlesChen about a year ago. I've switched it out for a foam insulation strip. Looks a little better IMO. I still have the other one sitting around somewhere.

Up close pic of my underbite.
20210909_163406.jpg

Yep, I saw one over the weekend. The hood fit perfectly and it had the refresh headlights as well. It looked just like a newer model so if you can examine one up close, that's exactly how your car will look if you installed a refresh hood and bumper. I have the original hood on mine with the refresh bumper and you can tell there's a difference. It's not bad, but it does look different with the bumper sticking out past the edge of the hood. I even had my Tesla emblem slanted to help with the profile... It helps a little, but again, IMO it's not quite what I'm ready to live with anymore.

I purchased a gap filler made by TheCharlesChen about a year ago. I've switched it out for a foam insulation strip. Looks a little better IMO. I still have the other one sitting around somewhere.
I would love to see a picture of one with the refreshed hood. I’ve been looking on eBay but I can’t find a refresh hood or a bumper with all the tabs. Was the install of the bumper difficult ? If it’s not too much can you give me a call? 302 218 8048

No hood pins? I have a damaged hood and a CF hood is cheaper than a replacement and paint blending to the bumper and fenders so... thinking about that. Very few options for 1st gen (i.e. nosecone) hoods.