Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 charger | cannot access from LAN | how to change pwd?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I have a router next to my charging station and I connected my Tesla Wall charger gen 3 to the router for internet acess.

I don't have the ability to enter the charger from my LAN, I receive the following error message:
1667552364671.png

When i'm standing next to the Wall charger, I can enter the charger wifi and change the setting, but not from the WAN - why? due to security?

In addition, how to I change the charger wifi name/password?

You might want to visit the detailed instructions at www.tesla.com/wallconnector , but that's just a hunch :)

The short answer to your questions is security.

They don't want some rando on your network to be able to go and reconfigure your wall connectors settings. For instance, a n'er-do-well could go and reset the current limit to 48A instead of 12A, and cause nuisance trips. Worse, they could change 32A to 48A and potentially cause a fire(yes, the breaker SHOULD protect against that, but wouldn't it be better to not rely on that?)

Even worse than that, there's a setting to not allow non-Teslas to charge, or to allow only specific cars to charge. You wouldn't want some rando to go and add their car or delete your car from the list.

There are a few threads on the forum about "Why is my HPWC's network active all the time?", or "How can I stop the HPWC from continuously broadcasting it's SSID" or whatever. To reactivate it, you don't have to turn off its power, just hold the button on the charge handle for 5-10 seconds. I haven't followed the latest on the status.