Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Gen3 Charger - Set Breaker Size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone!

I just had a gen 3 wall charger installed but was left to setup it on on my wifi etc.

I have successfully added the charger but never got asked what size breaker the charger is on. I know it’s on a 40amp but I don’t know if the charger knows that?

How do I set this or do I even need to? I can’t find it anywhere on the app.

Thanks!!

Solution
Hi RandyS, thanks for your response. I know it’s on a 40amp breaker. That isn’t the issue. It’s when I did my setup via the app I never got asked what breaker size was connected to the charger.

Is there a way to set it now that it’s on my app or do I have to reset it somehow and redo the setup?
There's definitely a place in the setup webpage, not the Tesla app, to set the circuit breaker size. Find the way to connect to the HPWC's wifi connection and go from there. You'll need to turn on airplane mode on your phone, then re-enable only wi-fi. Press and hold the charger handle button for 5+ seconds and the wifi from the HPWC will come alive. Follow "commissioning procedure" on page 22 of the installation manual.
You should be able to open up your electric panel and find the new breaker that was just installed, and then go from there with your setup...
Hi RandyS, thanks for your response. I know it’s on a 40amp breaker. That isn’t the issue. It’s when I did my setup via the app I never got asked what breaker size was connected to the charger.

Is there a way to set it now that it’s on my app or do I have to reset it somehow and redo the setup?

Upvote 0

There's definitely a place in the setup webpage, not the Tesla app, to set the circuit breaker size. Find the way to connect to the HPWC's wifi connection and go from there. You'll need to turn on airplane mode on your phone, then re-enable only wi-fi. Press and hold the charger handle button for 5+ seconds and the wifi from the HPWC will come alive. Follow "commissioning procedure" on page 22 of the installation manual.

Upvote 0
Solution
40 amp is a max load and the contactor / breaker is not designed to operate at that amperage continuously. Most places electrical code requires you to not operate a continuous load at more than 80% of that number which would be 32 A. So you definitely need to set the breaker. You don’t do that in the Tesla app. You have to use the set up information and connect to the wall charger directly and set it there. it tells you how to do that in the included pamphlet Instructions.

Upvote 0