Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector - Flashing Blue Light

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mknox

Aug 7, 2012
Toronto, ON
Replaced my old Gen 1 HPWC with a new Gen 3 Wall Connector the other day.

While charging, I get the normal stream of green lights, but when done I get this blinking blue rather than the steady green my old Gen 1 displayed. Nothing in the manual about a blinking blue... only a steady blue.

It’s set up properly with no errors being reported. Got a good connection. I can get to the diagnostics screen via the internal IP address it established with my router. (the screen even says "Fully Configured" and there are no Alerts).

Seems to work just fine otherwise, but I can find no reference to what a blinking blue light means... there is only a description for a steady blue light in the manual.

Anyone with a Gen 3 know if this is normal or what a blinking blue light signifies?

Replaced my old Gen 1 HPWC with a new Gen 3 Wall Connector the other day.

While charging, I get the normal stream of green lights, but when done I get this blinking blue rather than the steady green my old Gen 1 displayed. Nothing in the manual about a blinking blue... only a steady blue.

It’s set up properly with no errors being reported. Got a good connection. I can get to the diagnostics screen via the internal IP address it established with my router. (the screen even says "Fully Configured" and there are no Alerts).

Seems to work just fine otherwise, but I can find no reference to what a blinking blue light means... there is only a description for a steady blue light in the manual.

Anyone with a Gen 3 know if this is normal or what a blinking blue light signifies?

it’s a common problem. See this post from early May. Is your firmware older than this one? If so, maybe after a few days connected to the network it will update and fix it. Just a theory - haven’t seen anything definitive. May be totally unrelated.

I also tried the scheduled charging trick and it didn’t work in my case.

When I first installed mine it was constantly blinking when not charging. Contacted support and they were clueless on what was actually happening.

A day or two later I realized my connector had disconnected from the network so reconnected it. Another few days later the blinking stopped. My theory is there was a firmware update in there to fix what sounds like was a bug for a lot of people. Not sure what firmware mine came with but I’m now on 0.8.52+g48bbab2b0de6be and it stops blinking when done.

Connect to your connector with a browser and see it they are the same version. If not, that might be it. Don’t see a way to trigger an update though.

Try going in the car and toggling the scheduled charging on and off. Some others have reported similar behavior and for some this helped.

Great tip. Tried but no love. I even gave the car a re-boot and tried it with various schedules on and off.

it’s a common problem. See this post from early May. Is your firmware older than this one? If so, maybe after a few days connected to the network it will update and fix it. Just a theory - haven’t seen anything definitive. May be totally unrelated.

Also a great tip. I'll look into that and see.

In the mean time I've logged a ticket with Tesla Support to see what they say.

It doesn't seem to affect anything other than I wish I knew what a blue flashing light on the Connector actually means.