Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

gen 3 wall connector slow start

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I plugged in my Gen 3 wall connector today and it took almost 4 minutes for it to click to green and start charging. It's been doing it since I got it but never that long. Usually takes 30 seconds or a minute before it goes green and starts charging. Car says plugged in waiting to charge check charger power. I did set it to my VIN # but it was taking 30 to a minute to click on before I did that. Anybody else experience this? Is it normal? My Clipper Creek charger I was using before I installed the Gen 3 just started charging right after I plugged it in with the adapter?

I plugged in my Gen 3 wall connector today and it took almost 4 minutes for it to click to green and start charging. It's been doing it since I got it but never that long. Usually takes 30 seconds or a minute before it goes green and starts charging. Car says plugged in waiting to charge check charger power. I did set it to my VIN # but it was taking 30 to a minute to click on before I did that. Anybody else experience this? Is it normal? My Clipper Creek charger I was using before I installed the Gen 3 just started charging right after I plugged it in with the adapter?

I was having the exact same issue with my Gen3 Wall Connector.
Seems to be getting worse with every firmware update the Wall Connector gets.

I realized it was the "Only Teslas" and "Only Authorized Teslas" can charge here setting that was causing the super delayed charging.
I changed it back to "All Vehicles" and now it starts charging right away.

I'm not sure what vehicle you have @sovrin, but we have a 2019 Raven Model X Performance and a 2017 Model S 100D, and when we used to plug in the much older Model S, it took almost twice the time to start charging than with the newer Model X, so there must be something related to the vehicle charging hardware. Now that we are back to "All Vehicles", they both begin charging right away.

I was having the exact same issue with my Gen3 Wall Connector.
Seems to be getting worse with every firmware update the Wall Connector gets.

I realized it was the "Only Teslas" and "Only Authorized Teslas" can charge here setting that was causing the super delayed charging.
I changed it back to "All Vehicles" and now it starts charging right away.

I'm not sure what vehicle you have @sovrin, but we have a 2019 Raven Model X Performance and a 2017 Model S 100D, and when we used to plug in the much older Model S, it took almost twice the time to start charging than with the newer Model X, so there must be something related to the vehicle charging hardware. Now that we are back to "All Vehicles", they both begin charging right away.
Thanks.... I'm just relieved it seems to be normal and must just be some communication delay between the car and the connector. Mine is a 2018 MS 75D by the way. I'll try switching it back to all vehicles setting and see if it starts faster. I thought it was on that one when I installed it and there was still a little bit of a delay, but maybe it was set to tesla's only now that I think about it. I don't think I have gotten a firmware update since I installed it but I just installed it last month.

It must have come out of the box set to only Tesla. I just changed to any vehicle and now it starts charging with no delay at all. Problem solved. It was getting ridiculous waiting 3, 4, or 5 minutes to see if the charge was going to start!