Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector Gen 3 install issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

I recently had a wall connector gen 3 installed as part of a larger project (solar install).

My wall connector does not glow green and it will not charge the car. When I tried to connect it to the app , I got to the step where you hold the button to cause the green lights to turn on, and nothing happened. I then just tried plugging the car in, even though I didn’t add the product in the Tesla app, and the app says error no power.

I’m not sure if that error is simply because the product hasn’t been added to the app yet, or if it’s an accurate diagnosis.

Either way I’m calling the installer back today to have them try and diagnose/fix. If anyone here has clues or tips I will take them. Thank you!

Attachments

• 818AF142-1BDB-4BF8-9CBE-843BB83BB7D6.png
    818AF142-1BDB-4BF8-9CBE-843BB83BB7D6.png
    433.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 45D0DD14-9B9E-409F-AD83-93E5DB874869.png
    45D0DD14-9B9E-409F-AD83-93E5DB874869.png
    289.2 KB · Views: 4
Hi all

I recently had a wall connector gen 3 installed as part of a larger project (solar install).

My wall connector does not glow green and it will not charge the car. When I tried to connect it to the app , I got to the step where you hold the button to cause the green lights to turn on, and nothing happened. I then just tried plugging the car in, even though I didn’t add the product in the Tesla app, and the app says error no power.

I’m not sure if that error is simply because the product hasn’t been added to the app yet, or if it’s an accurate diagnosis.

Either way I’m calling the installer back today to have them try and diagnose/fix. If anyone here has clues or tips I will take them. Thank you!

Guys, lessons learned for everyone:

Traditional electricians will skip reading and performing the steps of the Tesla Wall Connector WC Manual
read and understand this manual yourself
supply this manual to the electrician and be sure they follow every step
Make sure you have WiFi at the location where the WC is to be installed
At the end of the install, with the electrican still at your location, make sure you can charge for 15 min from inside the vehicle and also from the app
Upon charging failure the electrician needs to fix and then test again

This engagement is different for traditional electricians as it involved tech
Most electricians are not use to tech mixed in
Before you select the electrician and they show up, be sure they are ok with the approach above and it sounds like they understand

Back to the OP, run the electrician through the above
Good luck

Reactions: Jonez and bruce4000
Thank you KP. This is a lesson learned.

The location I chose is also iffy for wifi, it should work but that may cause some future headaches.

Why do you have the 15-min charge test? Does something get checked or tripped after that duration of time?

Thank you KP. This is a lesson learned.

The location I chose is also iffy for wifi, it should work but that may cause some future headaches.

Why do you have the 15-min charge test? Does something get checked or tripped after that duration of time?
I had to place a WiFi extender 1/2 between the AP and WC to ensure good connection.
Btw, also check coverage wherever rhe vehicle usually parks, my case, the driveway for connecting the Tesla to WiFi when home. My WiFi extender provided both abilities.

The 15 min test, will qualify rhe breaker, wiring used, WC function, etc. Any shorter might not expose a situation of overheating due to wrong gauge or using aluminum cabling, not torquing the screws to spec, etc.

It’s called due diligence.
Green and blue WC lights are nice, but a charge test is better.

Reactions: John in LB
Your picture indicates that Powerwall has no power! Unless you know what you're doing, I wouldn't muck around looking for why it's not getting any power. When mine was installed, the electrician stayed to make sure it had power and able to charge the car.

Last edited:
Reactions: kpanda17
Hi all

Is the breaker for the wall connector turned on?

Reactions: davewill
Over here Tesla tells us who we can use for installation. It's a very short list! Touch wood no problems. The solar guys are well up with e control.

Not sure we will be able to fire it up under supervision because we plan on getting it installed on a ripple controlled night rate supply = half price power. That may only come on at 9pm.

Anyone have an opinion of feasibility of making it parallel connected on a switch to flip it onto the house 24hr circuit and not break any rules?

Installer will be coming back tomorrow. I will share what I learn after that visit.
Well the installer came back but didn’t notify me of his arrival. He told my wife afterwards that there was a bad breaker. I came home after work and have the same experience as before.

I live in a fairly remote town so the installer choices are limited. Frustrated right now.

Your picture indicates that Powerwall has no power! Unless you know what you're doing, I wouldn't muck around looking for why it's not getting any power. When mine was installed, the electrician stayed to make sure it had power and able to charge the car.
Does anyone recall if the green LED lights on front of the unit glow as soon as the unit has power?

Mine are not glowing right now, but again I haven’t connected it to my app yet. Not sure if that matters though.

I did try to just plug it in to the car and same result as before.

Well the installer came back but didn’t notify me of his arrival. He told my wife afterwards that there was a bad breaker. I came home after work and have the same experience as before.

I live in a fairly remote town so the installer choices are limited. Frustrated right now.
Wait you didn't confirm at least that the car can charge using the wall connector before the electrician left? I mean he could have been able to spot the bad breaker issue right away.

Mine are not glowing right now, but again I haven’t connected it to my app yet. Not sure if that matters though.

The app doesn't matter at all. Once the unit is powered up (and perhaps only for a short time after powering up), it broadcasts like a router using the SSID on the box.

Connect to that using your phone and the supplied password. Once in, you'll need to configure the amperage.

At that time you should be good to go. If the unit isn't giving any indication of having power (LEDs), something is wrong with the unit or the wiring.

Wait you didn't confirm at least that the car can charge using the wall connector before the electrician left? I mean he could have been able to spot the bad breaker issue right away.
Correct. I’m telling you, in smallish remote towns contractors have their choice of jobs and it shows. Compared to a city I grew up in (100k population) it’s vastly different.

I specifically asked to meet them this time, to do a test charge, but didn’t.

The app doesn't matter at all. Once the unit is powered up (and perhaps only for a short time after powering up), it broadcasts like a router using the SSID on the box.

Connect to that using your phone and the supplied password. Once in, you'll need to configure the amperage.

At that time you should be good to go. If the unit isn't giving any indication of having power (LEDs), something is wrong with the unit or the wiring.
Thank you. That’s what I figured. Contractor said they’ve done many of these installs and this one they aren’t sure what the issue. Possibly the unit but not sure as of now.

Tesla support wants these three items to troubleshoot. Electrician will come back and get them (which I asked them to do prior visit….)

1. Photo of breaker
  2. Overall photo of wirebox
  3. Photos of voltage reading between all three terminals (this will give us L1-L2, L1-G, and L2-G) showing what terminals are being tested behind the tested

Correct. I’m telling you, in smallish remote towns contractors have their choice of jobs and it shows. Compared to a city I grew up in (100k population) it’s vastly different.

I specifically asked to meet them this time, to do a test charge, but didn’t.
I am not blaming you on your choice of electrician and you said many times of the limited choices. I get it...

My only question was, were you even present at the time of installation or did the electrician come while you were at work and they had access to the electrical panel and all they need without you being present and completed the job but you were not able to test the connection?

I will put it this way, when the electrician went to install the NEMA 14-50 plug in my house, I was there and present during the whole process and made sure I was able to charge my car before he left even if they were in the process of packing up.

Photos of voltage reading between all three terminals (this will give us L1-L2, L1-G, and L2-G) showing what terminals are being tested behind the tested

This is the important one. If you're comfortable enough, and have a multimeter, you could figure this out on your own.

If it were me (and I'm not suggesting you do this lest you electrocute yourself), I would flip the breaker off, open the wall connector, flip the breaker on, then test with a multimeter that each leg of the circuit is producing the expected voltage.

There should only be 3 wires inside. One is 2 of them produce 120v each, and the third is the ground.