Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Georgia power super off-peak charging rate 1.4 cents/KwH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a great deal....last month was the first full month of usage on the plan for me (got the car 19 July), and my overall bill actually went DOWN from the previous month (where I only had the car for 12 days of the billing cycle). The August bill is typically my highest bill of the year...

This is a great deal....last month was the first full month of usage on the plan for me (got the car 19 July), and my overall bill actually went DOWN from the previous month (where I only had the car for 12 days of the billing cycle). The August bill is typically my highest bill of the year...
That's great. I have to call GA Power on Monday with a question I have re my current bill. Meanwhile, feel free to download this spread-sheet and plug in your GA Bill Details for tracking.

GA POWER EV PLAN BILL

Not sure if I have seen your car on the road in John's Creek, I am at LifeTime on the weekends and some week nights.

Enjoy your weekend.
Cheers

Reactions: Thunder7ga
So I signed up this evening for the super off peak rate and looking at the rate sheet...Georgia power super off-peak charging (11 PM to 7 AM) rate is 1.4164 cents/KwH for EVs. Just wanted to share this finding.

Cheers
Atlantan, if your gloat-meter is not already pegged at the best rate/deal in the U.S., let me help you break the meter. Your 1.4164 KwH rate hovers somewhere between 19-20 X less than ours. Let me say that again a different way. We are paying 20 X more per kwH than you.
20 X

P.S. I used to live in Mai-retta just off SoCoDri. Loved it.

The Georgia Power EV plan with 3 tiers including Super Off-Peak (11PM-7AM) is GREAT!!! About to see my M3 notification on my phone that charging has begun. Plugged it in an hour ago when we got back home from hanging in St. Augustine all day. Fill er up for oh less than $2 thank you very much.

P.S. There are 8 new Super Chargers at WaWa near Costco in east JAX....put them in abou5 3 weeks ago we just found out.

Reactions: Thunder7ga
Atlantan, if your gloat-meter is not already pegged at the best rate/deal in the U.S., let me help you break the meter. Your 1.4164 KwH rate hovers somewhere between 19-20 X less than ours. Let me say that again a different way. We are paying 20 X more per kwH than you.
20 X

P.S. I used to live in Mai-retta just off SoCoDri. Loved it.
I would gladly pay ...50x more if I lived in paradise :)

Going to repeat this:

... Most important, though, the cents per kWh numbers I keep seeing here DO NOT INCLUDE ALL OF THE FEES. ... the numbers I use are 30 / 15 / 7.5 cents per kWh. Note 7.5 cents per kWh, not 1.4 cents! That's the actual cost you'll see on your bill, if you do the math. It's actually a little more than that but it's easy for me to remember those numbers :)

Going to repeat this:
Agree that the cost is more that 1.4 cents...however, if I didn't have the EV, those fees would still be there, agreed?

A question for you, do you numbers ....30 / 15 / 7.5 cents per kWh, include the benefit the whole house gets from the three buckets, e.g AC offset cost during SuperOff peak hours?

I am calling GA power today to get explanation on the $64 delta I see on my bill. Will update the spread-sheet.

Last edited:
I called GA power and there are fees that are not listed on the bill...Education Tax fee, GA state tax, fuel charge @ .031718 x total kW used, which makes it difficult to reconcile the bill. GA power is sending me the actual breakdown of all fees via mail, as it is not on the eBill.

This is my last bill. Super off peak is 11pm-7am for all electricity used, not just for charging.
9680B9DA-D7A5-43B1-897E-9B3E7A4B2E20.png
That's great. I have to call GA Power on Monday with a question I have re my current bill. Meanwhile, feel free to download this spread-sheet and plug in your GA Bill Details for tracking.

GA POWER EV PLAN BILL

Not sure if I have seen your car on the road in John's Creek, I am at LifeTime on the weekends and some week nights.

Enjoy your weekend.
Cheers

This is my last bill. Super off peak is 11pm-7am for all electricity used, not just for charging.View attachment 334645
Hey thanks for posting this, this one has the fuel charge. Is this the paper copy scanned or your electronic bill? My GA power bill doesn't have the fuel charge and was told that they have to send me a separate bill to show all the charges.

In any event, your point is also valid that the Super off peak you paid, plus the fees is not only for charging your EV but whole house usage.

Enjoy your weekend, stay safe due to the storm!

Hey thanks for posting this, this one has the fuel charge. Is this the paper copy scanned or your electronic bill? My GA power bill doesn't have the fuel charge and was told that they have to send me a separate bill to show all the charges.

In any event, your point is also valid that the Super off peak you paid, plus the fees is not only for charging your EV but whole house usage.

Enjoy your weekend, stay safe due to the storm![/

It’s from my ebill and it has a tab for current bill so this is what the paper bill would look like. Yes, the Fuel Charge is more than the KWH rate but still super low. The On Peak is really high but that is just weekdays 2pm-7pm for June, July, August and September. My total bill month to month is lower now than it has been in the 3 years I have lived here.

Reactions: Atlantan
Mulligan Jake: Thank you for posting your electric bill on this forum. It's been a struggle for me to figure out how I am currently being charged, much less if I should switch. I have figured out that I could save about $30 per month by charging my Tesla, (Red Model 3...I love it of course), by switching to the Georgia Power Time of Use Plug-In EV Rate and charging between 11PM and 7AM. My concern is that the higher rates between 2PM and 7PM weekdays would cost me more than $30 per month. I notice that less than 10% of your usage is during those peak hours. We can start avoiding doing laundry during those times, but can't go without A/C during these hot Summer, (and early Fall), days. Can you share how you manage to keep usage during peak hours so low. (Going back to work during those hours is not an attractive option to us!) Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Mulligan Jake
Mulligan Jake: Thank you for posting your electric bill on this forum. It's been a struggle for me to figure out how I am currently being charged, much less if I should switch. I have figured out that I could save about $30 per month by charging my Tesla, (Red Model 3...I love it of course), by switching to the Georgia Power Time of Use Plug-In EV Rate and charging between 11PM and 7AM. My concern is that the higher rates between 2PM and 7PM weekdays would cost me more than $30 per month. I notice that less than 10% of your usage is during those peak hours. We can start avoiding doing laundry during those times, but can't go without A/C during these hot Summer, (and early Fall), days. Can you share how you manage to keep usage during peak hours so low. (Going back to work during those hours is not an attractive option to us!) Thanks in advance!
The 2-7 weekday rate is only for four months, June, July, August, September. So it ends soon till next June. Here’s what I do though. I have a timer on hot water heater. It’s on from 5-7am and from 1-2pm only. This Is hugh savings). Programmable thermostat, set a/c @ 74 from 5-7am and 74 from 12-2pm. Set @ 80 from 2pm till 30 minutes before I get home. No dishwasher or laundry and limit oven usage. Year over year, my electric bill is less now than before I had Elmo aka Tesla Model 3. Hope this helps.

Reactions: JimS and Atlantan
The 2-7 weekday rate is only for four months, June, July, August, September. So it ends soon till next June. Here’s what I do though. I have a timer on hot water heater. It’s on from 5-7am and from 1-2pm only. This Is hugh savings). Programmable thermostat, set a/c @ 74 from 5-7am and 74 from 12-2pm. Set @ 80 from 2pm till 30 minutes before I get home. No dishwasher or laundry and limit oven usage. Year over year, my electric bill is less now than before I had Elmo aka Tesla Model 3. Hope this helps.
Wow, that was a very helpful explanation. Thank you. You make me feel a bit guilty that I am not as energy conscious as you, but hey, the Model 3 was a big step in the right direction on that front! We keep our A/C set at 78 degrees around the clock, mainly to keep the humidity down. We keep ceiling fans going most of the time, so 78 is fairly comfortable. We are retired, so we are frequently home during those peak hours. We are all-electric and our highest bill during the last 12 months was January, so I am thinking the EV rate might still be to our benefit, even if we don't save anything during the summer months. I think I'll take the plunge! So you named your Model 3 Elmo...it must be red! That must have been you I spotted on the Truman Parkway a few weeks before I picked up mine, (July 27th).

Any updates on this thread? Live in north Georgia about to get an M3. Any tips about this plan? How to use ac from 2-7? And how do I actually see my real rate on my bill every time I pull it up it doesn’t include the hidden taxes on per kWh. Thanks guys!

JimS, Roman92, you guys wanna save some real $$ on your e-bill? Get a tankless water heater. They come in both gas and electric version. Ten years ago, I replaced my tank type for a tankless. Cost was about $450. Friend installed it. Shaved 1/3 off my $240 bill first month and every after - til I installed enough PV to wipe out my bill.

The only down side is minor. Water runs 30-60 seconds will waiting for hot to come out while it heats the pipes on the way. After that, its wonderful.

Any updates on this thread? Live in north Georgia about to get an M3. Any tips about this plan? How to use ac from 2-7? And how do I actually see my real rate on my bill every time I pull it up it doesn’t include the hidden taxes on per kWh. Thanks guys!

Scroll down to page 2 of your bill. GA Power does not tell you this if you call and it is not clear if you are looking on-line but the displayed page above is the second page of the PDF.

In the summer we run our AC down to 70 (or slightly less) in the wee hours of the morning, elevate the temp to 74 between 7 and 2 and then totally off between 2 and 7 (using a programmable thermostat). We charge both (on plug=in 110 and 1 Tesla) cars starting at 11:00. I also do the laundry after 11:00 (especially drying clothes, washing is less energy intensive) and run the dishwasher after 11:00. We had been on the Nights and Weekends plan before the Tesla, I compared the guestimated costs of the Nights plan vs the e-car plan came out ahead by about $30/month using the Electric car plan. I will look at it again over the summer to estimate annual savings to see if the inconvenience is worth the difference.

Reactions: Roman92