TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Georgia power super off-peak charging rate 1.4 cents/KwH

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by Atlantan, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Atlantan

Atlantan Member

So I signed up this evening for the super off peak rate and looking at the rate sheet...Georgia power super off-peak charging (11 PM to 7 AM) rate is 1.4164 cents/KwH for EVs. Just wanted to share this finding.

Cheers

• Informative x 1
  2. Pando

Pando Member

Wow. Here's in San Diego, CA for comparison

[​IMG]

• Informative x 2
  3. SDRick

SDRick Member

Can't be. Is that the total charge with transmission fees, line fees, etc?

At that price I can almost afford a long extension cord to your state.

• Funny x 5
  4. Atlantan

Atlantan Member

#5 Atlantan, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    So based on this is my following math correct? Just a buck to charge 85% capacity or 225 miles or range...about half a penny per mile?

100% Capacity (kWH): 85
    85% Capacity (kWH): 72.25
    Estimate Range (miles) on 85% Charge: 225
    Cost Per kWH : $0.014164
    Cost to Charge 85% or 225 miles of range: $1.02
    Cost per mile: 0.45 cents
    Cost to charge annual mileage (10000): $45.48

Now looking at the last 30 miles of consumption on the dashboard...

Consumption(WH/mi) 345
    Using the formula to convert WH/mi to mi/kWH...mi/kwh = 1 / ( # Wh/mi ) * 1000
    We get Miles/kWH: 2.90
    Consumption...Miles at 85% charge 209.42
    Cost per mile: 0.49 cents, so about half a cent per mile.
    Cost per Annual Mileage of 10,000 miles : $48.86

5. David99

David99 Active Member

Nice! I feel lucky getting it for 12 ct at night here in Orange County (Edison)

• Like x 1
  6. Pando

Pando Member

As a quick calculation for comparative costs in San Diego,

Summer super off-peak: $0.18/kWh, 0.345 kWh/mile consumption
    Cost per mile: 6.21 cents
    Cost per 10,000 miles: $621

Just for sh*ts and giggles, to drive a Prius with current gas prices of $2.50/gal, 50 MPG:
    Cost per mile: 5 cents
    Cost per 10,000 miles: $500

• Like x 1
  7. SDRick

SDRick Member

Not many doing solar in GA I imagine.

8. Atlantan

Atlantan Member

My home is surrounded by hardwood trees, so no chance of solar for me, especially at this rate to charge from the grid.

9. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Coral Gables, FL
    Just for reference my Florida Power & Light rate in 10.8 cents kWh with no variation.

They are proposing an increase so they can build more power plants, as well as supporting a ballot initiative to make customer use of wind and solar more difficult, in order to nuffify the encouragement amendment we just passed yesterday.

I pay an extra ~10% to use Arcadia wind power instead of FPL.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  10. BigAirHarper

BigAirHarper Member

That is insanely cheap. My off peak here in the panhandle of FL runs 8.3 cents per kWh with Gulf Power.

• Like x 1
  11. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

1.4 cents, that's is cheap!!!

Here's SoCal Edison rates on Time of Use "D" schedule. Luckily i have solar that offsets most of the bill.
    TOU-D-A-Rate-Table-r2_wd.gif

• Like x 1
  12. N4HHE

N4HHE Member

There is a monthly $10 connect charge so your yearly will be at least $165.48. Then all those other fees tacked on for which nothing is said about how much they add.

Is this a 2nd meter dedicated to the EV? How much does THAT cost to install?

13. Atlantan

Atlantan Member

Meter install pending...cost TBD, so are other costs. Will report back after the meter is installed.

14. Blu Zap

Blu Zap Grinning member

@Atlantan
    Certainly stirred up some interest! That rate is incredible. Let's see what you get when the meter is installed and the bill arrives. I will be sending you the end of my extension cord from NorCal!

• Funny x 1
  15. Atlantan

Atlantan Member

Update...two days after submitting the application online, the new meter has been installed. Now just need to wait for next month's bill to report back what the other fees amount are.

• Informative x 1
  16. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

#17 andrewket, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    Two days for a second meter, or replacing your house meter with a smart meter? Either way that is impressive.

I pay 0.11 flat for my house and 0.05 for the EVs 1a-5a in northern VA.

17. doubleohwhat

doubleohwhat Member

With Alabama Power I'm paying a 9¢ flat rate for the house and it gets discounted by 1.7155¢ between 9pm and 5am due to having an EV:
    http://alabamapower.com/residential/pricing-rates/pdf/pev.pdf

I would love to be able to switch to the "Time Advantage" plan where you reduce usage during peak hours but I work from home and in the summer it's just not feasible to shut the AC off. Quite jealous of the Georgia Power super off-peak rate!

• Informative x 1
  18. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Member

So, this is why I hate, with a burning passion, SDG&E. There is a reason Solar is so prevalent here in San Diego, these guys are basically a legalized monopoly. We have the 2nd most expensive power rates in the country (not far behind Hawaii).

Now, here comes my RANT:
    Back in 2002 when there were the rolling brown-outs, these guys were all about getting solar customers connected to the grid, to help reduce the strain on their power-generating capacity during peak hours. They supported Net Metering and over the course of the next 10 years or so made things attractive to customers to get panels installed, even though the cost of panels was relatively high compared to today. In the end, the BENEFIT to them was this was far far cheaper than having to invest in additional grid-level generation capacity. The Net Metering rules also benefited them greatly for anyone that installed "too much" solar capacity and was a net producer. They got to buy that power from the

Fast-forward to today: The cost of electricity keeps going up from the grid here in SDG&E territory (average 7-8% per year). This increase keeps pushing everyone that can afford to do so to buy solar panels. The result is that there is now a surplus of energy during the daytime hours and SDG&E often has to shut down their own production to prevent oversupply on the grid. Instead of selling energy, they are now buying it back (albeit at insanely cheap levels from their customer base). Now, Net Metering has turned in to a dirty word for them and they are petitioning the CaPUC to remove net metering (they failed this year, but did get concessions for new clients, like a $150 one-time charge for new solar customers and a buy back of only 90% of what customers put into the grid). Rates also continue to rise. Tier 1 starts at 19.2c/kWh, up from 17 last year, and Tier 2, 3, and 4 which gradually introduced higher rates up to 40c has been replaced by just Tier 2, which is 39c/kWh. Oh, and Tier 1 is VERY small, like ~400kWh of usage.

What these idiots that run this company don't understand is that tactics like this will push a great many customers to on-premises battery systems to store their excess capacity and not share it with the grid. I am already looking to install one of these within the next 3 years and go 100% off-grid and give the big middle finger to SDG&E.

/RANT done

19. JPP

JPP Active Member

...man, do I live in the wrong state, or what...

In NoCA, PG&E is not much better behaved than SDG&E (see rant #19 above). My best night rate is about $0.11/kWh. Peak rate during the day is something like $0.35+/kWh. Glad I have solar....