Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting a CA DMV clean air ZEV sticker on used X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called the special processing unit of CA DMV and verified the original owner of my (used) X had never applied for the CA clean air sticker nor rebate. Which they said I should then apply for and I have done. However, I'm reading through docs and it's very confusing because some of it implies that it can only be granted on NEW vehicles from dealer unless you're low income. However, there is contradicting documentation that states otherwise. So I'm wondering if anyone has had success getting the CAD (Clean Air Decal) granted for a used purchase?

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
I believe the 2018 and forward can still get the the 5-year stickers if it's never applied for before. Anything before that, it's no longer applicable for stickers. That was my last research in 2018 when I got my Model 3 with the red stickers. Most bottom half of 2017 buyers were able to apply for the red stickers to replace their white stickers.

-ThinkMac-

• Informative
Reactions: njhtran
I called the special processing unit of CA DMV and verified the original owner of my (used) X had never applied for the CA clean air sticker nor rebate.

Which they said I should then apply for and I have done. However, I'm reading through docs and it's very confusing because some of it implies that it can only be granted on NEW vehicles from dealer unless you're low income. However, there is contradicting documentation that states otherwise.
OP: You should be fine in applying as long as that VIN has NEVER ever gotten CA HOV stickers.

Current Clean Air Vehicle Decal | California Air Resources Board

The low income program alluded to in California aims to get less affluent plug-in drivers into carpool lanes is for used qualifying EVs/PHEVs that already had green or white HOV stickers that expired but ordinarily wouldn't be eligible for replacement stickers.

It's too bad that Current Clean Air Vehicle Decal | California Air Resources Board seems to have some busted links under "Income-Based (IB) CAV Decal Program". Hope Clean Air Vehicle Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle Lane Usage and Clean Air Vehicle Decals for Using Carpool and HOV Lanes - California DMV helps.

As a non-low income person and with a used EV, you will NOT be able to get CVRP: Clean Vehicle Rebate Project.

• Informative
Reactions: njhtran