Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting in and out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It does look like the Model Y seat pedestals raise the seats about 3.5", per my comparison below. The 4" measurement came from my Model 3 seat hinge cover.

Model Y seat height.png

Original image:
9_34038cfb-ae64-4573-b277-df2105617c8b_grande.jpg

Tesla Model Y Interior Pictures and Info

This, combined with the 0.8" larger radius tire, gives the Model Y at least a 25" (H5) H-point. (This assumes the Model 3 H5 is ~21".) Any extra height from a different suspension geometry would add to that.

H5 data is hard to come by but here're a few examples:
2017 Grand Cherokee 31.7
2019 Durango.......31.6
2019 Highlander...29.9
2019 Explorer.......29.8
2019 Atlas............29.8
2019 Ascent.........29.6
2019 Pathfinder....29.2
2019 Sorento........28.5
2018 Rogue..........27.1
Bolt EV..................25.5
Niro EV..................23.1
e-Golf....................21.8
Ioniq Electric.........21.1
2018 330i..............20.8
Model S................20.5
2018 A4................19.2
Toyota 86..............16.1
Fiat 124 Spider.....15.0

Last edited:
Thanks @Zoomit - that's good info! I wasn't sure so I looked up what the H-point is. For others who don't know:
The H-point (or hip-point) is the theoretical, relative location of an occupant's hip: specifically the pivot point between the torso and upper leg portions of the body — as used in vehicle design, automotive design and vehicle regulation as well as other disciplines including chair and furniture design.
I assume "relative location" here means height above ground.
H-point - Wikipedia

• Helpful
Reactions: patrick80132
I’m 6’3” and after seeing a Y in person, I’m confident that it’s going to be a *lot* easier to get in and out of than S/3. It’s closer in height to X than anything else, and getting into X requires no thought or effort in any way.

Spot on. It's a lot like an X and nothing like the 3. The seat sits 4 inches higher and can move vertically for another few. I had hip surgery a few months ago (sports injury) and getting in and out of the 3 sucked. The X was no problem. They Y is just like the X.

i'm new to tesla but i test drove a 3 and with the extra height and glass roof i think this is going to feel and actually BE pretty big for drivers. also i've been reading the manual and there is an 'easy exit' setting that will help too.

Thanks for all the great data, like the H5 numbers. Not all of us want higher seating positions. For example, my 91yr old disabled mom, likes a lower seat, since she's now only 4'10". Anything higher than a Model 3, and I'll have to pick her up to put her in the vehicle. Good thing she only weighs 100lbs.

Yes, hip height is about 3" higher than Model 3, plus the door opening is taller
OK, so the seat is higher, great for the knees, but is the opening MORE than that 3" higher or ONLY as high. My wife always bumps her head getting into the Model 3 trying to put on or take off shoes. She cannot sit sideways and not bump her head. I don't even try, but at least I have the easy-in easy-out feature on the driver's side.