Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

getting my X in less than 48 hours.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congratulations on your X... Although I have never worked with Calibred Customs or any other shop for installs, I have heard only good things about Johnny and Calibred Customs as a whole! No one who has worked with them has posted anything negative about them that I have read. May I suggest, that while they are doing your install for the Blackvue with constant power, you also get them to install another cigarette lighter adapter with constant power as other users here have done. This will allow for you to install a wireless hub if you'd like down the line so you can remotely check on your Blackvue....

Reactions: Rumi11
Hey everyone! Thanks! Johnny came out and installed my dash cams yesterday and did a great job. No ugly wires and I love he came to my house. Very convenient. I heard he will be in Seattle next week, if anyone is interested. They really are fantastic!

I think it depends on where you are located, type of car, and what you're installing (2 cam system or a 4 cam system). You're looking at between $800-$2000 depending on how many cams in your set up and if you purchase from them like I did.

But better to get a quote from them. I have read only great reviews online and in a few forums. My experience with them was excellent. Their number is 310.654.0532 and they are mobile, so they go wherever you want them to.

Good luck

Sorry for the delayed reply...been a HECTIC couple of weeks. But yeah, to answer Bairesman, it is all about autonomy. With a dashcam you install, you get to access footage anytime rather than only being able to request it from Tesla under specific circumstances.

Thanks Rumi11 and Verygreen. So is this something you do in all of your cars or only in Teslas? My apologies but I am still not sure why I would want the footage unless I feel I am going to need it in the future (AP accident or something). Thanks again and my apologies for the basic question

Thanks Rumi11 and Verygreen. So is this something you do in all of your cars or only in Teslas? My apologies but I am still not sure why I would want the footage unless I feel I am going to need it in the future (AP accident or something). Thanks again and my apologies for the basic question
These are security cameras, just like the ones for your house. AtleAt lthats the primary reason people insta these on cars. You get an alert on your phone if someone dings your car or tries to steal it along with video footage. Better chance of tracking down who did it.

I do it in all my cars for two reasons:

1. It's a cheap insurance against anything happening (as is widely known, when you have a camera running, nothing exciting is generally happening), but if something does happen - it's also your golden lottery ticket to have rare interesting footage to become famous (or sell for $$$$) - remember all the dashcam videos from Russia about a huge meteoroid a few years ago, ever wish you had a camera running when a tire blown up/transformer exploded nearby/...?
2. In case of an accident (or in cameras with parking mode - also if somebody damages your car while you are away).- you'll have a record of it - easier to show to your insurance company and cops that you were not at fault and the light was indeed green (as opposed to he said she said argument that usually assigns blame to both drivers) and such (and Tesla typically does not release videos from the autopilot computer even if it was recorded (which is not a given).

Reactions: Gpa9504
I do it in all my cars for two reasons:

1. It's a cheap insurance against anything happening (as is widely known, when you have a camera running, nothing exciting is generally happening), but if something does happen - it's also your golden lottery ticket to have rare interesting footage to become famous (or sell for $$$$) - remember all the dashcam videos from Russia about a huge meteoroid a few years ago, ever wish you had a camera running when a tire blown up/transformer exploded nearby/...?
2. In case of an accident (or in cameras with parking mode - also if somebody damages your car while you are away).- you'll have a record of it - easier to show to your insurance company and cops that you were not at fault and the light was indeed green (as opposed to he said she said argument that usually assigns blame to both drivers) and such (and Tesla typically does not release videos from the autopilot computer even if it was recorded (which is not a given).

Thank you, that makes sense.

Excuse my ignorance but why do you all install additional cameras in the car? Thanks!

We had ours installed primarily for accidents; they can solve the facts real quick. Thankfully haven't needed it for that. We did get a guy who was doing a smash and grab (unfortunately on our car too) on our dashcam. In our case the sun was shining right into the rear camera so wasn't too helpful getting their license plate but did see what he looked like and that he was a passenger in a getaway car (so at least a two-guy job). You can grab the footage out of the camera very easily. Tesla doesn't make camera footage available to owners (at least last I heard although they talked about maybe offering something some day).

If you peruse Youtube or even TMC you'll see lots of dashcam footage shown as travel logs to share with friends and family, and plenty of "OMG did you see what this car did?" videos. I think I've enen see dashcam video when an meteorite streaked across the sky and someone caught it on their equipment. So fun stuff like that. I've also used mine on occasion to check on who came to the house or if the delivery guy came to the house with the package that wasn't received (our car is frequently parked in the driveway so we get a good view).

If the vehicle is used commercially, some insurance companies have offered discounts. It can also protect you if you are in a crash and need to verify it was not your fault. Also, quite useful in the case of someone hitting vehicle while parked. Plus, I must say I have been known to get the images for awesome pics of my travels...The BlackVue dashcams have amazing resolution!