Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting out of autopilot without pressing the brakes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Light or Full press up on the stalk... I would be mindful though of getting in the habit of light pressing only, since the same motion on a full press (with brake/brake hold) will engage Reverse. There was an owner in the Facebook forum that accidentally engaged reverse at a stop light because he had pressed the brake (which disengaged the TACC/EAP already), then pressed fully up on the stalk thinking he was turning off TACC... started backing right into the car behind him... opps!

Reactions: asianxtreme
Light or Full press up on the stalk... I would be mindful though of getting in the habit of light pressing only, since the same motion on a full press (with brake/brake hold) will engage Reverse. There was an owner in the Facebook forum that accidentally engaged reverse at a stop light because he had pressed the brake (which disengaged the TACC/EAP already), then pressed fully up on the stalk thinking he was turning off TACC... started backing right into the car behind him... opps!

As long as you're going faster than some speed (I think 5mph), you can't change into Reverse while in Drive. So, doesn't really matter unless you're stopped. In that case if I want to disable AP/TACC, I usually use the brake anyways.

Maybe there is an easter egg voice command to disable autopilot like:

manual.JPG

If you just want to disengage autosteer, but keep cruuise control (TACC) active, as a single motion, push the control stalk up, then immediately back down. This temporarily disengages both, but then restarts TACC. There’s generally a very slight hesitation on the speed as you do this, but you can resume TACC without getting into regen.

Be aware that this could adjust your set speed up/down if you’re not currently at the default speed for what it thinks the speed limit is.

Most of the time, I just wiggle the wheel when I want to change lanes and I’m in autosteer mode, then resume autosteer when the lane change is complete.

Is it possible to turn off autopilot without the slight brake pedal press, or forcing the wheel? Something on the touchscreen maybe?
I just want to get out of autopilot without some sort of jerky motion.

Aside from the click up, I found that a two-handed torque on the wheel can come close. Single hand always is jerky for me, but both hands comes pretty close to unnoticeable.