Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting ready for my first Road Trip...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

radiocycle

Supporting Member
Apr 13, 2017
Portland, OR
So far, the furthest we've driven is from Fremont, where we picked up the car, to Vallejo where we live. Now I'm planing our first real road trip from Vallejo, CA to Portland, OR in a couple of weeks. I was surprised (and disappointed) to see that there is not a supercharger in all of Portland!
It looks like there are about four supercharger stops from the Bay Area to Portland according to ABRPlanner. The last one on the way up is in Springfield. So I'm just a tad worried about how to work the return trip. I'd like to do some driving around Portland for the couple of days I'll be there and then be able to make it to Springfield to begin the trip back to the Bay Area. Anyone out there have any suggestions about how to charge up while in Portland? We may be staying in an Airbnb or VRBO so I'm not sure about the availability of a 110vAC U-Ground, nor how much a night of 110vAC would replenish.
Thanks for any replies!

radio

Portland has superchargers nearby in Tigard (less than 15 miles to downtown), Woodburn, and Vancouver, and Sandy (south, north, and east, respectively). Plugshare.com shows loads of charging in the area. It shouldn't be a problem at all to find a destination charger.
With a wall outlet (110V), you can figure about 3 or 4 miles per hour, which can actually be really helpful sometimes.
TL;DR: Check plugshare.

• Informative
Reactions: radiocycle
Well, it's increasingly looking like I may have to cancel my first long road trip with all the woods afire around Mt. Shasta, blocking a large stretch of Hwy 5. I've been watching the Oregon DOT 'Trip Check' and with only a little over a week to go, it's not looking good.

I've already made reservations up in Portland and we have the dog staying with Rover. I might end up taking the Prius Plug-in; I could cut over to the long-and-winding Hwy 1, which would add quite a few miles/hours to the trip but it could be done. It would be a nice feature of the route planner if you could simply insert the section of road that you want to bypass and it would come up with an alternate route. Maybe even Hwy 395 would work. Is there a way to tell the trip planner that you need to bypass Redding and Mt. Shasta?

I did try putting in a couple of waypoints, but what it did was route them as if I just wanted to make it a side trip, then return to the main route. So on A Better Routeplanner I told it to not use the two SC that looked like they were in the area of the fires. It rerouted me to use Hwy 101. It's a little longer, but more scenic. Duh, I should have thought of that in the first place. I'm feeling more confident now!

r