Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting Tesla to honor their Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How hard is it to convince tesla to actually honor their warranty? I took delivery of a 2016 AP1 model x a couple of weeks ago, right off the bat I noticed some extreme creakiness in the front end any time I turned the steering wheel as shown in this video Ring #AlwaysHome. It did not affect the handling or driving of the car at all, but it just seems strange for a car that supposedly went through a 200 point inspection had this much of a glaring issue. Also the AC does not blow cold air lol.

I made an appointment with the local service center and they advised me the warranty would most likely not cover the creakiness nor the air conditioning... so what exactly does it cover then? Per the screenshot enclosed wouldn't the creakiness be part of the steering/suspension inspection? I find it hard to believe that a creaky front end is within Tesla specs.

As to why I did not reject the vehicle, cosmetically it is in great condition and I figured these other issues would be taken care of post purchase at the service center. Does anybody have any experience with purchasing used from Tesla and getting them to cover service items? Also any luck getting a print out of that 200 point inspection? Thanks!

Attachments

• used.PNG
    used.PNG
    34.1 KB · Views: 170
  • Funny
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
...any time I turned the steering wheel...

It doesn't look like an extreme turning so there should not be any noise.

However, Tesla warranty does not cover noises, rattles...

...AC does not blow cold air...

HVAC does fail as reported by some owners and they are covered.

You might as well test to see it can heat your cabin too and fix it while you bring it in.

It doesn't look like an extreme turning so there should not be any noise.

However, Tesla warranty does not cover noises, rattles...

HVAC does fail as reported by some owners and they are covered.

You might as well test to see it can heat your cabin too and fix it while you bring it in.

Yeah I guess i'll run through basic functions before my appointment to see what else can be done. It's just disheartening for tesla to advertise a 200 point inspection with some obvious fails. I don't expect them to have perfect used cars, but if something isn't working it would be nice to get a heads up prior to delivery especially if the warranty is not truly bumper to bumper as it is implied.

How hard is it to convince tesla to actually honor their warranty? I took delivery of a 2016 AP1 model x a couple of weeks ago, right off the bat I noticed some extreme creakiness in the front end any time I turned the steering wheel as shown in this video Ring #AlwaysHome. It did not affect the handling or driving of the car at all, but it just seems strange for a car that supposedly went through a 200 point inspection had this much of a glaring issue. Also the AC does not blow cold air lol.

I made an appointment with the local service center and they advised me the warranty would most likely not cover the creakiness nor the air conditioning... so what exactly does it cover then? Per the screenshot enclosed wouldn't the creakiness be part of the steering/suspension inspection? I find it hard to believe that a creaky front end is within Tesla specs.

As to why I did not reject the vehicle, cosmetically it is in great condition and I figured these other issues would be taken care of post purchase at the service center. Does anybody have any experience with purchasing used from Tesla and getting them to cover service items? Also any luck getting a print out of that 200 point inspection? Thanks!

I was under the same impression for my 2016 90D AP1 that I purchased in February for a broken console clip (pin would not engage for it to stay open). I was charged over $300 for a new console and no one even communicated to me it wasn’t covered under warranty. They just did the work and I got slapped with the bill upon my return.

My advice to you is to speak with a manger (mid or upper level) and not just an employee at the service center and have them call you BEFORE any work is to be done. They will attempt to charge you the $95 diagnosis fee but try to negotiate that to zero. They also tried to tell me that suspension parts are not covered under the bumber to bumper warranty and only considered if it was a manufacturer defect - which is a load of crock since TSB’s are normally the issues that arise. Try to keep cool and don’t blow up on the service guys while negotiating since you’ll most likely return and they keep everything on file....good luck!

Tesla has tightened the belt even further and this has trickled down into warranty repairs. They have started to employ tactics to dissuade you from getting a warranty repair done through potential diagnostic fees (even if you are still under the factory warranty).

This might be a good example of why the dealership model may be better.

Sorry to see that. There is no way that could be acceptable. And I also agree with your thoughts on the 200 point inspection. I could understand if the noise appeared later down the line,but something like that and the A/C should have been discovered and repaired. Hopefully they take care of you.

Here's a copy of the 2016 warranty (see attached), don't take no for an answer, document everything and continue to engage them until it's fixed. They just F'ed me on a warranty item after dropping over $300K in cars (3 Model S's). I just cancelled one of two my Cybertruck Triples, and will jump at the first company that comes out with a decent product that competes with Tesla, unfortunately right now you are stuck with the bastards as the only monopoly in the EV segment with a decent product. The service went to hell after the Mongolian Hordes showed up for the Model 3. I remember the bespoke service we used to get in 2012-2013. I should have seen this coming, not only did they lie to me, they tried to say my car was covered by the new Feb 1 2019 warranty, my car is a 2016... total BS. They wasted two days of me jack-assing back in forth in the stupid COVID no contact environment, then denied that it was a manufacturing issue (rear seat leather - where no one ever rides in my back seat, has massive bulbous stretch marks that look worse than (pick a name of politician you dislike) face. Looks s little better than this... Then they told me I had to produce a copy of the original warranty that they deleted from online account, I then had an attorney friend look at my sales agreement, which states they have to provide you a copy, just by requesting it.... they did after we went back and forth... freaking Hyundai treated me better when I bought their $40K Genesis Sedan. This direct sales model should be banned, no one is advocating for the customer, at least with the stealers in the middle they would work around this crap if you are dropping the kind of cash we are for these cars.

We'll have a manager call you..... still waiting... they don't give a FFFF...
iu

Attachments

• Model_S_New_Vehicle_Limited_Warranty_201602_en_NA.pdf
    140.5 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Do yourself a big favor and ask Tesla in writing to send you a copy of the arbitration opt-out.
I believe you have 30 days from the purchase date to sign such forms (2).

This will save you a lot of headache later on.

Since your car is only 2 weeks old since purchased, I’d let them work on your car but don’t sign anything prior to being worked on.
If they insist to charge you, ask them to show where in the warranty document the exceptions.
Keep all documents for later use.

good luck.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Here's a copy of the 2016 warranty (see attached), don't take no for an answer, document everything and continue to engage them until it's fixed. They just F'ed me on a warranty item after dropping over $300K in cars (3 Model S's). I just cancelled one of two my Cybertruck Triples, and will jump at the first company that comes out with a decent product that competes with Tesla, unfortunately right now you are stuck with the bastards as the only monopoly in the EV segment with a decent product. The service went to hell after the Mongolian Hordes showed up for the Model 3. I remember the bespoke service we used to get in 2012-2013. I should have seen this coming, not only did they lie to me, they tried to say my car was covered by the new Feb 1 2019 warranty (that now applies to all Model S's, I have 2016 New fascia too)... total BS. They wasted two days of me jack-assing back in forth in the stupid COVID no contact environment, then denied that it was a manufacturing issue (rear seat leather - where no one ever rides in my back seat, has massive bulbous stretch marks that look worse than (pick a name of politician you dislike) face. Looks s little better than this... Then they told me I had to produce a copy of the original warranty that they deleted from online account, I then had an attorney friend look at my sales agreement, which states they have to provide you a copy, just by requesting it.... they did after we went back and forth... freaking Hyundai treated me better when I bought their $40K Genesis Sedan.
iu
This is truly unbelievable.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Car is currently being serviced under warranty for faulty control arms as well as a faulty AC condenser. I'm glad tesla is taking care of this but it really irks me that they are claiming the 200 pt inspection for used cars. It is quite telling that a car with these problems passed and definitely makes me question any future purchases with Tesla.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Car is currently being serviced under warranty for faulty control arms as well as a faulty AC condenser. I'm glad tesla is taking care of this but it really irks me that they are claiming the 200 pt inspection for used cars. It is quite telling that a car with these problems passed and definitely makes me question any future purchases with Tesla.
Actually, if I remember correctly, they stated 270 (or something like that) inspection points for their CPO.
And then when they realized they lost big money, they changed it to 70 inspection points for their now-called used.

First off, their BS 270 points is just that...BS.
We bought our 2014 MS as a CPO a little over 2 years ago and other than put in new wheels, I don’t believe they inspected anything.
The car came from Arizona and the hood was full of sand pits.
We told them we’d walk if they didn’t take care of all of the paint issues.

Now, why they lost money on those?
It’s very simple and this is purely my guess.
Musk pushed hard to try to reach the numbers and thus they took any trade-Ins without actually checked the cars over and then those were sold as CPO, naturally they had to spend money to fix those issues.

The bottom line is they screwed up big time and their loyal customers had to pay the price.

No car is worth the agony, stress, & frustration.

We were going to get an M3 when our son got his but we decided not to deal with them.
Also, I am looking at getting a new car and the new MS (About $75K) is among 3 finalists.
The other 2 are the new C8 Corvette ($85K) and Porsche Taycan 4S+ ($130K).
Even though new MS is the least expensive, there’s no way we’d give our money to Tesla again.

Shame on them!

• Helpful
Reactions: jpizz123

Glad they're taking care of you. I don't believe any company when it comes to these inspection claims, not just Tesla. Hopefully, you'll be able to enjoy the car without any further headaches.

Glad they're taking care of you. I don't believe any company when it comes to these inspection claims, not just Tesla. Hopefully, you'll be able to enjoy the car without any further headaches.
Actually not quite.

When we bought our used E350, we were provided with an inspection check list to show us what they did with the car to be able to call it CPO. It is CA Law.

California's Rules For Sales of "Certified" Used Cars