Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting the X tinted today. How dark?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BLKMDL3

Supporting Member
Already did the chrome delete myself and got the car lowered by Unplugged. Today, I have an appointment to get the windows done. I was wondering how dark I should go. Any suggestions? Any thing else I should do? Here is some before pics:
IMG_1351.jpeg
IMG_1358.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Your blackout looks great! What products did you use for your installation ?

I would recommend 3M Crystalline for your window tinting application. The 3M crystalline product does wonders and keeps out a superior amount of solar heat and is 99.9% UV protection.

As far as the color shade goes, 40% is a nice shade for front 2 windows and 70% on the rears since they already have privacy glass from factory. The windshield also makes a huge difference when you add the crystalline 70% .
*Note that 70% on the front 2 is the darkest allowed in California but since 70% is pretty much clear, I find that many people want to go a little darker to have some charcoal tint to the front 2 windows.

Thanks for sharing your updates on the Model X. Keep up the nice work!

These are the tint rules set by DMV.

The amount of light that can pass through your car windows is measured in percentages (called VLT), so make sure your tinting film is up to these standards! In California there is no difference in regulations for sedans, or SUVs and vans, so these laws are for all vehicles.

• Windshield allows transparent strip on top 4 to 5 inches
  • Front side windows must pass through more than 70% of light inside your car (70% VLT)
  • Back side windows and rear window can have any darkness

I have an appointment to get the windows done. I was wondering how dark I should go. Any suggestions?
You are in California. The legal limit is 70% minimum transmission for the side windows. That is what I had done on my X.

You are risking a fix it ticket and then having to have your tint removed before getting the ticket signed off. Or pay the fine and then wait for your next ticket.

Good luck.

Older thread, but bringing it back since I am looking at options myself.. After living in Tennessee for a few years, which has pretty strict tint laws and now being back in Orlando, which seems a bit more liberal, I myself have never been hassled by my usually, sub-legal, tint..

About 10 years ago I was introduced to 50% tint on the windshield.. Preferably the 3M Crystaline.. It was an immediate life changer. Massive UV and heat blocking while eliminating both day and night glare, without any concern of visibility on even the darkest nights.. Have now done that on every car have owned since... 50% windshield, 20% around and highly recommend it.

As I prepare to take delivery of my used X or new 3, this is a first thing, must do for me.