Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting too used to Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can just press the gas down... on some roads you can’t set it to go 5 miles over the speed limit but you can go over by pressing the gas... it will still steer just fine..

But I only drive a Tesla with AP.

Yeah, my car does not have a gas pedal. I will try pressing on the accelerator pedal and see what happens, though a big part of AP/EAP is TACC, which you are defeating if you press on the pedal.

Oh, and I've never yet found a road where EAP would not go 5 mph over what the car thinks the posted speed limit is. On some roads, it doesn't know the limit, or has a wrong limit. But when it thinks it knows the limit, I can always use EAP at 5 over.

You can just press the gas down... on some roads you can’t set it to go 5 miles over the speed limit but you can go over by pressing the gas... it will still steer just fine..

That works only as lonng as you keep pressing the throttle pedal and don't exceed 90 mph. Over that speed, Auto-Steer is disabled until you stop, put the car in "park", and then in "drive" again.

That works only as lonng as you keep pressing the throttle pedal...
Just tested and it is a PIA. You get 3 contuse and rotating nag screens and you have to give a wheel confirmation about every 5 or so seconds. Paraphrase the 3.

AutoPilot doesn't steer above xxMPH
No Breaking
Hands on the wheel
repeat

The fun with a Tesla is driving it not being driven by a machine. But that's me...
The fun is BOTH. I just went out and did a 0-60 and then drove on some curvy difficult roads on AP. Both are extremely exhilarating and fun in their own ways.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saghost
i h
Just tested and it is a PIA. You get 3 contuse and rotating nag screens and you have to give a wheel confirmation about every 5 or so seconds. Paraphrase the 3.

AutoPilot doesn't steer above xxMPH
No Breaking
Hands on the wheel
repeat

The fun is BOTH. I just went out and did a 0-60 and then drove on some curvy difficult roads on AP. Both are extremely exhilarating and fun in their own ways.

Interesting. That was not my experience. You did get the two nags on the screen but they were not audible and therefore easily ignored and I didn’t notice the hands on the wheel no more often than normal (about every 30 seconds or so) but I keep my hands lightly on the wheel anyway...

This is from the "To Use Traffic Aware Cruise Control" section of the manual on page 67 of the manual:

Set the cruising speed
To set the cruising speed, move the cruise
control lever fully down once then release.
This sets the cruising speed to the detected
speed limit (plus any offset you've specified
using Speed Assist as described in Controlling
Speed Assist on page 89) or your current
driving speed, whichever is greater.

"Speed Assist" is the X factor I was referring to. From page 89:

Controlling Speed Assist
To adjust the Speed Limit Warning setting,
touch Controls > Autopilot > Speed Limit
Warning, then choose one of these options:
• Off - Speed limit warnings do not display
and chimes are not sounded.
• Display - Speed limit signs display on the
touchscreen and the sign increases in size
when you exceed the determined limit.
• Chime - In addition to the visual display, a
chime is sounded whenever you exceed
the determined speed limit.

You can also specify how the speed limit is
determined:
• Relative - The speed limit is determined
automatically based on detected traffic
signs and GPS data. If desired, you can set
a speed limit offset (+ or -) if you want to
be alerted only when you exceed the
offset speed limit by a specified amount.
For example, you can increase the offset
to +10 mph (10 km/h) if you only want to
be warned when you exceed the speed
limit by 10 mph (10 km/h).

I've used these features extensively on highway driving not low speed limit urban areas and they have worked flawlessly and never had speed capped. There are exceptions the manual lists, for instance if it can't get speed limit info from the gps data, conceivably, it might limit the override. But if you haven't explored this feature go for it. The other thing that comes to mind for your use case is to set it to absolute and a numeric value you're comfortable with.

The fun with a Tesla is driving it not being driven by a machine. But that's me...

I didn't buy my Model 3 to have more fun driving. The Roadster was actually a lot more fun to drive. I bought my Model 3 partly because it's a more practical car, but mostly because it's a safer car, and for me, as a 71-year-old man, EAP is a big part of what makes it safer.

This is from the "To Use Traffic Aware Cruise Control" section of the manual on page 67 of the manual:

Set the cruising speed
To set the cruising speed, move the cruise
control lever fully down once then release.
This sets the cruising speed to the detected
speed limit (plus any offset you've specified
using Speed Assist as described in Controlling
Speed Assist on page 89) or your current
driving speed, whichever is greater.

"Speed Assist" is the X factor I was referring to. From page 89:

Controlling Speed Assist
To adjust the Speed Limit Warning setting,
touch Controls > Autopilot > Speed Limit
Warning, then choose one of these options:
• Off - Speed limit warnings do not display
and chimes are not sounded.
• Display - Speed limit signs display on the
touchscreen and the sign increases in size
when you exceed the determined limit.
• Chime - In addition to the visual display, a
chime is sounded whenever you exceed
the determined speed limit.

You can also specify how the speed limit is
determined:
• Relative - The speed limit is determined
automatically based on detected traffic
signs and GPS data. If desired, you can set
a speed limit offset (+ or -) if you want to
be alerted only when you exceed the
offset speed limit by a specified amount.
For example, you can increase the offset
to +10 mph (10 km/h) if you only want to
be warned when you exceed the speed
limit by 10 mph (10 km/h).

I've used these features extensively on highway driving not low speed limit urban areas and they have worked flawlessly and never had speed capped. There are exceptions the manual lists, for instance if it can't get speed limit info from the gps data, conceivably, it might limit the override. But if you haven't explored this feature go for it. The other thing that comes to mind for your use case is to set it to absolute and a numeric value you're comfortable with.

The above applies to TACC, which does indeed function way over the speed limit. The problem with setting the speed offset higher is that this will cause the car to rapidly accelerate to the speed limit plus offset any time you engage TACC or AP/EAP. I do not want it to do this. And I am not convinced yet that setting the offset higher will actually allow Autosteer to operate at those higher speeds.

I didn't buy my Model 3 to have more fun driving. The Roadster was actually a lot more fun to drive. I bought my Model 3 partly because it's a more practical car, but mostly because it's a safer car, and for me, as a 71-year-old man, EAP is a big part of what makes it safer.

P.S. If I could afford a full-time chauffeur I would hire one. I'd much rather be driven around than have to do the driving. Sp EAP is a big plus for me. It's not FSD, but it does some of the work for me.

Nice thread--great summary of who/what/how EAP is performing for people. I agree, the Tesla is incredibly fun to drive, but I'd rather it drive for me. It is great for daily commutes where you know where it performs well and where it can't. I drive a 40 mile round trip commute every day and use AP 90% of the drive. About 1/2 is on a city street thoroughfare where I stay in the middle lane, restricted to 5 over the speed limit (sorry people behind me, please feel free to go around. I am NOT IN A HURRY, I'm enjoying my Tesla). The other 1/2 is on an interstate where I use the left or middle lanes Ito avoid the on-ramp wiggle, not to mention the merging traffic). On the interstate I'm able to set the speed I want (usually about 7 over the limit--again, I am NOT in a hurry; I'll try to stay out of your way if you want to drive 80). :cool: For the merge between those two roads, which is under construction and has concrete barriers and very poor marking, no way would I use AP. Like one poster said, just try to drive another 'regular' car and you're quickly reminded of how spectacular the Tesla is, even with it's current EAP limitations. I can't decide what vanity plate I want, either NVRGOBK or UWANT.

I too have been confused between driving on AP and driving with it off. My solution was to get in the habit of driving with my hands on the wheel at 10 & 2 with AP off and at position 4 & 8 with AP on. Works for me. Can’t wait for FSU.
I don't drive often on AP for my normal (short) commute, but use it for longer drives. I wish for an option to change the color of the screen to indicate when AP is engaged. It certainly would not hurt to have a highly visible reminder that it is engaged, but only as an option for people who think they need it.