Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting Window Tint in Montreal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

This is my first time getting any type of window tint on a car so I had a couple of questions, some of them specific to Montreal.

What percentage of tint can I get in the front windows without getting pulled over? The legal limit is only 70% but I'd like to put at least 30-50% on the front windows. With the white interior I'm assuming that I could go even darker without getting pulled over

Tinting the rear roof
If I tint the whole rear, will the rear part of the roof be darker than the roof above the driver and is it noticeable?

I called 3 places to get some prices.
Lebeau said that they don't do Teslas because the tint gets damaged since the window keeps opening each time you open the door. Is that true for every tint or just theirs?

Prices
Then the other two places said that they would tint the whole back in one piece.
One of the places uses llumar and said it would be $350 for everything except windshield.
The other place uses xpel and said it's $400 for normal and $550 for XR.

Is ceramic worth it?
Is it worth it to go for the XR? Most of the time I like feeling the sun during the winter and in the summer I can just turn on the AC before getting in the car.

Xpel or Llumar
If I were to go for the cheaper tint, is there any noticeable difference between llumar and xpel or should I just get the cheapest

I was browsing for window tint and just landed on your post. I am from Montreal as well, did you get your windows tinted?

Mine is doing xpel ppf now at the shop and they will tint the windows on wed. I was worrying if tinting the windows will void warranty?

I will be doing xpel xr+, it is pricier but the heat and uv reduction is worth it.

Lebeau said that they don't do Teslas because the tint gets damaged since the window keeps opening each time you open the door. Is that true for every tint or just theirs?

Is ceramic worth it?
Is it worth it to go for the XR? Most of the time I like feeling the sun during the winter and in the summer I can just turn on the AC before getting in the car.

Xpel or Llumar
If I were to go for the cheaper tint, is there any noticeable difference between llumar and xpel or should I just get the cheapest
Any vehicles with frameless doors (like on the tesla) will have this issue. Go to a different tint shop as they should be able to handle it (there is a way to fool the door that it is open so they can do the install.

Ceramic is worth the extra - feels cooler in the vehicle (had this done on my Tiguan and BMW and would do it again.

Go for the tint with lifetime warranty on the install if you get into any issues or bubbling. Do it at a shop that has been around a while as well.