Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

glass breaking due to rear window tint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking to get my M3 tinted next week.

2 tint shops told me they have heard reports of m3 glass breaking/cracking when tinting back window in 1 piece, due to the trapped thermal heat between the already tinted factory glass roof and the window tint film.
They said they can do it...but they would have me sign a waiver releasing them of liability etc etc.

anyone else heard of this? or are these guys FOS?

I would prefer to have the whole back window done in one piece so it looks nicer obv, but don't want my glass breaking in a few months when it gets 105 out here in SoCal.

I'm looking to get my M3 tinted next week.

2 tint shops told me they have heard reports of m3 glass breaking/cracking when tinting back window in 1 piece, due to the trapped thermal heat between the already tinted factory glass roof and the window tint film.
They said they can do it...but they would have me sign a waiver releasing them of liability etc etc.

anyone else heard of this? or are these guys FOS?

I would prefer to have the whole back window done in one piece so it looks nicer obv, but don't want my glass breaking in a few months when it gets 105 out here in SoCal.

Run. Run far away from these shops. There is NO effective thermal difference between tinting the rear glass in one piece or two pieces. There is no "space" to trap heat between the factory glass coating and the tint layer - unless there are significant air bubbles there. If there are air bubbles - it is a bad application job.

So anyone making those claims is likely trying to sell you on a two piece rear tint because they are too cheap to buy the bigger rolls of film required for a one piece tint. Given that they are willing to stoop to this, who knows what other shoddy practices they will resort to? Run away from them.

We have worked on 700 Model 3s and have not heard from customers calling us about this issue - not a single report. As for the type of film, we highly recommend Spectra Photosync. There is no other film on the market that outperforms it - TSER up to 80% and 99% + of IR block (Infrared radiation = heat).

Here are the specs:
Spectra PhotoSync IRD® | Prestige

Here is Photosync IRD 30 - their newest generation of IR films. This is EDTM's Spectrum Analyzer that rates it with NFRC300 standards. The number "1" in photo means 99% of IR rays are blocked at 1000nm. The next number "0" = 100% of IR rays up to 1700nm. These numbers along with TSER up to 80% is unmatched by any film.

And if you are not near us, you can look up Dealers for Photosync here via the manufacturer's Locator:
Dealer Locator | Prestige

IRD 30.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
The cracked windows that I do know of are likely due to either a manufacturing error by Tesla, where the defroster is improperly bonded to the glass, or due to the tint place scrubbing/scraping too hard on the defroster. I wouldn't believe that 1 or 2 piece film has anything to do with it.

What happens is if the wire is partially removed from the glass, but still connected, it becomes a hot spot, since the heat doesn't have anywhere to sink to, as its not well connected to the glass anymore. Hard to say, but I'd suspect a poor factory bonding of the rear defroster to the glass in manufacturing.

Ok, thanks

decided to go with single piece back window suntec carbon film

Getting it done 2 weeks from now

This is what I had installed and no problems to report. Overall, I am very happy with it, but sometimes wish I had gone slightly lighter to blend in better with the glass above driver seat; I ended up getting 30% all around. I originally wanted crystalline or spectra installed, but I couldn’t find any local shops that sold the product and were willing to install in one piece. Quality of installer > product (so long as it’s a reputable brand), IMO.