Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glass roof heat? AZ M3 owners?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am sitting on my invite trying to decide whether to order now or wait for non premium options(non glass roof).

Now that we have had semi hot days(close to 100 degrees) in AZ, I was wondering how the glass roof has been on the M3 for AZ owners? Has the cabin been hotter or the same as a regular roof car?

Curious on this, too (also in AZ).

The only data point I have: a friend of mine from Palm Springs bought a new Model S 75 last year and says the dark tinted glass roof is a non-issue. He told me that on really hot days, he uses the remote cabin pre-conditioning to cool the car down anyway. He bought with the white interior to reduce heat gain, but kind of regrets that as it shows dirt quickly. He believes the majority of the heat gain is really from sunlight entering through the windshield, heating up the dark dash (necessarily dark to reduce glare), and the radiant heat being trapped due to the IR-blocking nature of the windshield. We need one-way IR blocking glass, it seems.

There was some speculation here that the non-premium 3 will still have a glass roof, but that the inside will have a permanently affixed headliner (presumably with an insulation / reflective layer).

Looks like Tesla sells a clip-in light-reducing screen for the glass roof for those that want that. Might make a good summertime option.

I am sitting on my invite trying to decide whether to order now or wait for non premium options(non glass roof).

Now that we have had semi hot days(close to 100 degrees) in AZ, I was wondering how the glass roof has been on the M3 for AZ owners? Has the cabin been hotter or the same as a regular roof car?

I purchased my Model S almost a year ago, and was told, I'm probably one of the last guys with a painted roof.... I'll bet, the same exists for Model 3... For Model S you can order the glass roof as the standard or the glass roof with the sunroof.... Honestly, the glass roof is the better option for a vehicle, it is a structural improvement and its easier to assemble...

To comment on the other posting, there would not be a headliner pasted to the interior of the glass, it simply would never stick or even stay in place..

Larry Benjamin addressed this in one of his videos. Admittedly, I don't think it was as hot there (I think he is in California) as it can get in AZ, but he measured the roof at about 90F, just warm to the touch. A 90 degree surface doesn't seem like it is going to bake you. The IR and UV coatings in the glass must be doing a pretty good job...

Originally, I planned to get the sunshade, but now I'm going to just give it a shot...

I'm also in Scottsdale and I haven't had any heat issues while driving our Model 3. It warms up a bit while sitting in a sunny parking lot, but if need be, I will just turn the AC on as I am walking to the car. I wouldn't worry about it.

-Ryan

I had my X through last summer without a noticeable problem for me. We have the white interior and I think that made it much better in summer than any other car I've had. The cabin overheat protection was nice as well, though the car wouldn't sleep with it on.

Our other car is a Mini hardtop with black seats and I hate getting into it in the summer. Particularly if the sun is shining on the front seats. We're waiting for white seats on the 3 before replacing the Mini.

It is a very dark tint on the 3. Im not in AZ, but here in MD yesterday it was 44 Deg. F and the temp in the vehicle was 108 Deg. F. The car was parked in the sun, but if that is a preview of things to come, it could be a hot summer inside.

Larry Benjamin addressed this in one of his videos. Admittedly, I don't think it was as hot there (I think he is in California) as it can get in AZ,...

HAHAHA. Boy, AZ must get really hot. I remember working for my Dad in 120+ degrees -- in CA. The highest temp ever recorded, 134 degrees F, was also in CA. Sorry about your hot weather. Hope my 3 doesn't melt here, in CA.

Notice the pics of Teslas with red glass roofs on some sites. This is what is being reflected. RED is the part of the spectrum that is just below the invisible infrared heat part of the light from the sun, and I expect the IR is being reflected even more strongly. Except in AZ, of course, where heat is in another part of the spectrum.

As usual, speculation rules.

It is a very dark tint on the 3. Im not in AZ, but here in MD yesterday it was 44 Deg. F and the temp in the vehicle was 108 Deg. F. The car was parked in the sun, but if that is a preview of things to come, it could be a hot summer inside.
The roof tint may be magic,
but it still is a good idea to use a front windshield sun-screen
and to crack the windows open.

I had an S in Phoenix for a few years with the glass sunroof. The last thing I wanted in AZ summers was to have Mr. Sun peeking through at me from anywhere, additional heat or not. The remote cooling function in the app is a lifesaver though. When parked all day at work, I would fire up the AC 15 minutes before leaving, and it would drop the interior from 150F down to 72. Watch out for those metal door handles though! AC had minimal effect on range compared to using the heater. I just got my 3, and bought the sunshade for the roof even though I'm now in Portland.

I'd rather get the black seats, in terms of looks, but I am also curious how hot the cabin gets in the summer heat. If the seats aren't burning hot, then precooling or even just regular AC use after getting in is fine... I just don't want scalding hot "leather" interior...