Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4-6 weeks for replacement glass??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bs041382

Oct 31, 2023
Usa
I recently purchased a pre-owned 2020 M3 from a non-Tesla dealership. The car was in good shape other than a broken windshield and top glass piece. The dealership had to take the car to Tesla SC for replacement of both. I have been told that Tesla quoted 4-6 weeks to complete the job.

This wait has been, and will continue to be, excruciating. Especially not knowing if the 4-6 weeks is even accurate.

Does anyone have experience with these repairs lately? Have you found that 4-6 weeks is an accurate repair time?

Prefer Tesla over Safelite for windshields, in my experience Tesla is faster and Safelite has screwed up weather sealing of a replacement Subaru windshield that led to our insurer declaring the car a total loss. Tesla replacement for a windshield that broke after impact from a black walnut fruiting body (freak accident) was very fast and done perfectly.

No experience with top glass, sorry.

I had Tesla replace windshield. It was done by a mobile tech and within a few days of requesting appt. Note that Safelite or any other windshield repair companies have to by the glass from Tesla (and likely add an additional mark-up). The Tesla windshield come with a built in mounting area for the cameras. There are not any 3rd party glass providers as there are for other makes of vehicles. As far as top glass I would assume Tesla is the only source. Perhaps that is the hold up. You might want to consider booking 2 Tesla service visits; one for windshield only and other for top glass. Good luck.

Reactions: TimTam
I had to replace the windshield on our 2022 model Y LR because a rock "star" grew an 18-inch crack one day when the sun hit the damaged site wrong. I just went to the service section of my app, was granted a Service Center appointment the next week, and had the repair complete the day after the appointment (they did not get started until after 2 pm and were not finished at their 5 pm quitting time). This was just a few months ago.

Other than being very expensive (roughly $1,500) it went fine, and I got no indication of delay for getting the glass.

Good luck.

In theory, Saint Gobain Sekurit can easily make aftermarket windshields, since they are the OEM supplier. But it looks like they don't for whatever reason.
Likely part of the contract. Usually it’s other parties that make aftermarket glass… it’s probably something related to liability of AP/FSD why nobody makes 3rd party glass…if I were to guess.