Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glossy center console (like M3) in MY?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably way to soon to know for sure, but any hints at whether the MY will have that same glossy black center console? It seems like most folks with the M3 take issue with the regular fingerprint smudges on that console. Maybe it’s just wishful thinking but with so much feedback about this on the M3 (and the many aftermarket console wraps people have done to try and “fix” the glossy console), I’d hope this would be a subtle change to the MY. Any hints at this being a minor change?

Isn’t there an aftermarket outfit that makes print-proof covers for the center console?
I don’t own a M3 (planning to purchase Y) but I’ve seen lots of videos with people reviewing aftermarket covers. From the reviews a lot of folks still seem somewhat unimpressed with this minor modification (usually pointing out that it still looks like a sticker or that some of the edges aren’t fully covered depending on the product). I just thought that if this was such a common critique in M3 then it would’ve been an obvious change (a change I would’ve looked forward to).

Looks glossy on the model Y order page (and looks the same as it does in the model 3).
Thanks. I may have missed that. About to go look at the order page again. I thought that there weren’t interior shots of the Y yet. And with the unveil it is so dark (and a prototype) so it was hard to tell if this would be a subtle finishing change or not. Ideally it would be nice to have something not so prone to fingerprint smudges in a car and also not something you’d have to modify yourself. But I get that people have different tastes.

I may be too wishful and I may be answering my own question now (sorry), but I just went to the ordering page and did a screenshot of the model y interior and model 3 interior images (see attached). Although these don’t seem to be actual photos of the M3 and MY interiors (but, rather, just a design render), there does seem to be a difference in the pics and it does seem like the model Y interior is a matte finish compared to the model 3 image. Again, these seem to just be a design render rather than an actual photo. And also the lighting in the images is different. So hopefully someone may be able to have an insight into what we’ll actually see. But from comparing these pics I guess I’d say actually the opposite (@WesB ), to me it seems like the Y won’t be glossy like the 3. But I may be blinding myself with wishful thinking.

Attachments

• 918FF5AE-C15E-4232-8348-1EEBC2B1FD91.jpeg
    918FF5AE-C15E-4232-8348-1EEBC2B1FD91.jpeg
    266.5 KB · Views: 134
  • B16036B1-7DC1-4602-9E91-C5D27CFAFB57.jpeg
    B16036B1-7DC1-4602-9E91-C5D27CFAFB57.jpeg
    222.3 KB · Views: 112
I still think it will be glossy. The whole reason behind making the model Y so similar to the model 3 is to be able to use the same parts for both cars to streamline the manufacturing process. There would be no reason for them to make 2 different parts here.

Reactions: Airgetlam
I still think it will be glossy. The whole reason behind making the model Y so similar to the model 3 is to be able to use the same parts for both cars to streamline the manufacturing process. There would be no reason for them to make 2 different parts here.
They would also then probably make matte the plastic tidbits around door handles and buttons too.
I wouldn’t complain if they did that all around.

Using the exact same sized console as the M3, and changing the "mold" to have a matte surface would be a very cost effective way to change the entire feel of the cabin. The center console is practically the center design structure in the cabin, after the screen. Alter that surface to a matte finish and the cabin will have a much softer feel. With minimal impact on the supply chain. Maybe its part of the 30%?
I think we will have to continue to be patient

The glossy center console is easily my least favorite part of the interior, I don't expect Tesla to do anything different for the Y, but I just wish they globally changed it to something that was matte. Less mess, fits better with the rest of the interior, and easier to maintain.

I thought I read somewhere that a couple of people who own Model 3's got to sit in a Model Y (but weren't allowed to take pictures of it) at a supercharger when the Tesla employees were driving it, they mentioned the dash and center console was the same as their Model 3. If that's truly the case, then existing Model 3 console wrap kits that you can buy now should fit on the Y.

Reactions: SoRandom
I thought I read somewhere that a couple of people who own Model 3's got to sit in a Model Y (but weren't allowed to take pictures of it) at a supercharger when the Tesla employees were driving it, they mentioned the dash and center console was the same as their Model 3. If that's truly the case, then existing Model 3 console wrap kits that you can buy now should fit on the Y.
i think it's 90% likely you are right. the other 10% of my thinking just says that the platform they sit on might be slightly higher because of the difference in height of the vehicle. so i am just waiting on buying them. plenty of things to spend money on in the meantime. already bought my 500gig SSD for 'sentry mode' recording, wall connector is in shipment and installer has already figured it all out, got my ceramic paint coating, some fun stormtrooper decals for the first few weeks or so just for fun, and the screen protector, since we know that's identical.