Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glove box light replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Durzel

Jul 17, 2019
Bath, UK
Has anyone here replaced the bulb in their glove box?

I bought a set from Abstract Ocean (they’re great by the way) and watched the installation video on YouTube first, which made it all look pretty straightforward, but when it came to the glovebox light it was basically impossible to get the plastic tool underneath to extract it.

Unlike in the video mine is recessed deep, and at an angle.

Not the end of the world as its not likely to be seen often, but wanted to finish the job.

Thanks in advance.

863651C7-D1CB-4EC2-80C3-CE0A2573D0B3.jpeg
DF4698B5-F659-45CD-87AE-8EDF55EBA639.jpeg

I never want to do that again.

Horrible, horrible job. I ache from a mixture of sitting and lying on the uncomfortable, unforgiving door sill.

I fashioned a bracket of a sort to try and prise it out. It bent before it could get any real purchase on it. Must’ve spent a good 45 minutes trying to pry it out, to no avail. In the end I found a thicker metal bracket and worked it around the edge of the bulb, whilst pulling down. On more than one occasion I had to take a break, and felt like giving up.

Eventually it popped out, and one side of the clips were snapped off from me pulling on it, as well as damage to the plastic around the edge. It then took me another 20 minutes or more to try and get the new bulb in, you really have to force it and you’re at a really uncomfortable angle, and the bulb only goes in one direction (the hole is keyed, and there is no give it in at all). For a while I thought I was going to have to get the service centre to put it back in.

Probably easier if you can take off the glovebox door, as you could get something more substantial in there then.

I do not recommend anyone do this unless they like pain and frustration.

4E1BFF0E-8854-4ACA-9A37-8BB23CE9D9B6.jpeg

I struggled too when replacing the glove box light (also to install Abstract Ocean lights).

Spudger did not fit at all for this one light.

Pretty sure I resorted to wedging a flatheaded screwdriver under one side of it (the "slot" indicated in one of the earlier posts). It took a fair bit of force.

Reactions: Durzel
It takes a LOT of force to get it out, more than you feel comfortable using. I felt like at any moment my hand was going to slip and I was going to smack the glovebox into the footwell. Likewise getting it back in. Not a fun job in the slightest, and only really a rather circumstantial benefit.

You wouldn't be able to get the actual blade of it underneath the opening on the light. You'd essentially have to do what I ended up doing, and that is lever it out, wrecking the tabs, or fashion a sortof hook like @Heavy Rain suggested to get underneath and pull down.

I spoke to Abstract Ocean about it, and they were perplexed. It seems in the States, and maybe on earlier cars, the glovebox light is fitted in hard plastic, not the hard felt we have over here. It is nowhere near as recessed as ours are, either. I noticed the same on the footwell bulbs - recessed at a slight angle, although at least those were accessible.

I'm surprised the cars in the States haven't been updated to this, or maybe they have and AO have an older MY19 car. The light being recessed deeply means you don't see any part of it when the glovebox is open, which I guess you would with the hard plastic shallow recess version.

Anyway, it is not something I would recommend anyone doing really - the benefit is grossely disproportionate to the stress involved in removing the bulb.

Reactions: Roy W.