Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going between Tesla's regenerative braking and ICE (stick shift) braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, what everybody else said (I also came from a succession of manual transmission cars, adapted to regen in approximately no time, don't miss the stick).

Plus, you can always take a trip to Europe and rent a car if you miss the manual. Probably cheaper not to mention more fun than keeping, maintaining, and insuring the old car, and you get to have the dubious pleasure of assuring the car rental agent that even though you just handed them a U.S. passport you do know how to drive stick and do not want the "upgrade" to automatic. (But you'll just find yourself missing your Model 3 when you do.)

I havent driven an MT in about 7 years or so , but learned to drive in them and drove them for the first 20 years or so that I drove (back when AT cost more money that I didnt have, lol).

I took my first test drive of a Model 3 performance this tuesday. It was a 20 mile test drive, with the advisor or whatever they are called (I called the tesla store and asked for an experienced rep as I had a lot of questions. I told them I had a BMW and was thinking about converting).

Anyway, at the beginning of the test drive, the regen braking was set on low. Halfway through the tesla person set it to high (or regular, whatever the stronger regen setting was). It took me about 2 minutes to get used to it. It felt like a MT like most people in this thread are saying.

How many settings for it are there?

After my test drive, I was so giddy I ordered on the spot, and will be taking delivery of a Model 3 P next tuesday (after ordering this past tuesday, the 26th). I cant call it "M3" as that means something to me, although this tesla is the M3 I couldnt afford, lol.

@pdp1 Did you get your car yet? Personally I think you are over thinking it. I think you will adapt quicker than you think. I use to drive a manual Accord and kind of liken it to the regen on the Model 3. I guess it depends on how you drive stick and do your down shifting but I always liked the reduced engine feel of it on the Accord so the regen was a welcome feel.

@pdp1 Did you get your car yet? Personally I think you are over thinking it. I think you will adapt quicker than you think. I use to drive a manual Accord and kind of liken it to the regen on the Model 3. I guess it depends on how you drive stick and do your down shifting but I always liked the reduced engine feel of it on the Accord so the regen was a welcome feel.
It will be delivered this Friday! Yes, I think the regen braking will actually be more familiar to manual drivers since it's very similar to downshifting. I was more curious if any long time manual drivers missed the stick shift and some of the "benefits" or nuances of a manual.

What I was really concerned about didn't specifically pertain to coming from a manual car, but ICE/hybrid cars in general. Auto or manual ICE/hybrid, my first instinct is to let go of the gas when approaching a stop or a slower car in front of me. That instinct will change as I (quickly) get used to driving the M3, as I expect my foot to linger on the "gas" pedal longer to take advantage of regen braking without stopping too fast. I'm sure I'll be driving my wife's Prius every now and then and was concerned that the new habit of having my foot linger on the gas pedal may make stopping in the Prius a little too delayed... i.e. I will not slow down fast enough and need to slam on the brakes later than I should. I think @AltLogic described exactly what I was talking about in his anecdote about the ICE rental car.

Anyway, you're, right, I'm just overthinking it because of the, what feels like, endless wait for the M3 to be delivered! As with anything, it's just a matter of getting used to switching back and forth between ICE and M3... I'm not THAT old yet, I can still teach myself new tricks!

• Funny
Reactions: SMAlset
I honestly do not miss driving my manual transmission car of 12+ years. I just don't have sentimental attachment for the gears shifting "fun". I recognize that one pedal driving is actually an improvement over my previous car, or any other ICE car really. Makes taking corners easier with faster response.

I drove a manual shift 5 speed the other day. This should have been no big deal since I learned to drive on a 4-speed manual and have driven manual shift throughout my entire life. And I have 4 motorcycles with manual shift.

However, coming off 100% Model 3 driving, shifting just felt stupid. The very fact that the engine NEEDED to be shifted to work well was disappointing. And it felt SOOOO gutless and ancient! Downshifting felt archaic. The voice in my head was saying "Next year is 2020. Time to get with the times!". But it was still better than a slushbox auto...

I drove a manual shift 5 speed the other day. This should have been no big deal since I learned to drive on a 4-speed manual and have driven manual shift throughout my entire life. And I have 4 motorcycles with manual shift.

However, coming off 100% Model 3 driving, shifting just felt stupid. The very fact that the engine NEEDED to be shifted to work well was disappointing. And it felt SOOOO gutless and ancient! Downshifting felt archaic. The voice in my head was saying "Next year is 2020. Time to get with the times!". But it was still better than a slushbox auto...
What car? I drove my buddies Cayman 981 GTS manual and it was freakin phenomenal...what a visceral experience. I'm used to Japanese clutches and thought the Porsche clutch took a bit more force than what I'm used too...but after few minutes of driving, I was acclimated.

I don't feel that way at all. My weekend car is an N/A flat 6 with a 7 speed manual. If anything, I find that I enjoy it even more now that I have taken delivery of my Model 3 and drive it extensively. Yes, it feels more retro, but I enjoy it even more for that. But it's not a great daily driver and I felt that way even before buying a Tesla.

Driving my wife's ICE car with an auto does seem a little odd, but that car is so familiar and it drives so well that I don't get annoyed by it at all. Except in traffic when I REALLY miss the EV and TACC / EAP.

Reactions: seattlite2004
I drive X100D and an older manual stick-transmission Caddy all the time. It's a non-issue. You kinda connect your driving muscle memory to the type of car you're driving pretty fast.
^^^This

After owning a Model 3 and driving it everyday for about 2 months now, I still purposely drive my wife’s Prius at least once a week, which is often enough to have my muscle memory still automatically adjust to the Prius’ regenerative braking pretty seamlessly. The first couple times I switched back to the Prius it was a little odd, a lot of last minute braking, but now that it’s been over 8 weeks, going back and forth isn’t much of an issue anymore.

And same for my 5 speed IS300, going back to that car was even easier since there is a lot more muscle memory involved in driving a manual. I ended up selling it, so I guess that’s also a non-issue now :(

Reactions: ChrML
What car? I drove my buddies Cayman 981 GTS manual and it was freakin phenomenal...what a visceral experience. I'm used to Japanese clutches and thought the Porsche clutch took a bit more force than what I'm used too...but after few minutes of driving, I was acclimated.

I think you missed the point, LOL!

I'm talking about going from 100% Model 3 rocketship to a manual transmission (auto is even worse). Something tells me you have NEVER even driven a Model 3 as your daily driver. Am I right?

I think you missed the point, LOL!

I'm talking about going from 100% Model 3 rocketship to a manual transmission (auto is even worse). Something tells me you have NEVER even driven a Model 3 as your daily driver. Am I right?
I have driven the Model 3 LR....and yeah...it aint a manual manual Cayman 981 GTS. I like both...and if your point was to discount one cuz it aint a Model 3...yeah...then I guess I missed your point and obviously you missed my point....different strokes I guess.

lol
keep an ice for weekend? huh

I bet the 12v battery will end up dying in the IS
Nope, didn't keep it, sold it exactly 2 weeks after picking up the Model 3! (see my previous post) I miss it dearly for sentimental reason... but don't miss it for the driving experience. In the two overlapping weeks where I had both car, it wasn't difficult at all to switch between them, however, I am curious what it will feel like the next time I get a chance to drive a manual though.

Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
Nope, didn't keep it, sold it exactly 2 weeks after picking up the Model 3! (see my previous post) I miss it dearly for sentimental reason... but don't miss it for the driving experience. In the two overlapping weeks where I had both car, it wasn't difficult at all to switch between them, however, I am curious what it will feel like the next time I get a chance to drive a manual though.

Having been driving primarily Model 3's since May of last year, my observation is that it matters less whether the ICE car is automatic transmission or manual, the big difference is whether it's ICE or EV. I have a preference for driving a manual transmission but they both feel antiquated and unresponsive compared to either of our Model 3's.

After getting used to the smoothness and instantaneous throttle response of the EV's, it's really hard to go back to an ICE vehicle because it just feels so disconnected and crude in comparison. With the Model 3, I feel directly connected to the powerful torque of the motor as if it's an extension of my body. In an ICE car, even one with a "powerful" V-8, it just feels weak and slow in comparison. Oddly, going between our P3D and LR Model 3, I don't really notice any difference unless I push the throttle more than 1/2 way to the floor which is almost never required. They both feel equally responsive and like an extension of my body.

After getting used to the smoothness and instantaneous throttle response of the EV's, it's really hard to go back to an ICE vehicle because it just feels so disconnected and crude in comparison. With the Model 3, I feel directly connected to the powerful torque of the motor as if it's an extension of my body. In an ICE car, even one with a "powerful" V-8, it just feels weak and slow in comparison. Oddly, going between our P3D and LR Model 3, I don't really notice any difference unless I push the throttle more than 1/2 way to the floor which is almost never required. They both feel equally responsive and like an extension of my body.
Very well said. Both the sound and feel of the gears shifting in my wife's Lincoln MKS just grate on my nerves. It's actually a very good vehicle but after driving my Model 3 for 4 months, it seems ancient.

"Extension of my body" is the perfect description of the (1) seamless, (2) powerful and (3) near-silent acceleration of an EV combined with (4) regen braking. "One peddle driving". People ask me if I'm "still excited" about my Model 3. The more time goes by, the more I appreciate it.

Every time I hear someone race their ICE loudly as if it's something to be proud of, it's like hearing a dinosaur roar without knowing extinction is coming.

lol
keep an ice for weekend? huh

I bet the 12v battery will end up dying in the IS

???

Nothing wrong with a weekend car at all. I've had mine for almost 2 and a half years and have only put about 9,000 miles on it. It does get used during the week when it's nicer out and I need to take the kids to afterschool activities.

The 12v battery is fine if left on it's own for a week or even two or three. No ill effects. But if you don't live where you can take it out during the winter and it's going to sit a few months, then a CTEK battery tender will keep it nice and happy.

Don't understand the hate on having a weekend ICE car.

Having been driving primarily Model 3's since May of last year, my observation is that it matters less whether the ICE car is automatic transmission or manual, the big difference is whether it's ICE or EV. I have a preference for driving a manual transmission but they both feel antiquated and unresponsive compared to either of our Model 3's.

While I don't have quite as many months behind the wheel of my Model 3, I do have almost 3k miles so far, much of it sitting in traffic.

I understand what you're saying about the Model 3's responsiveness. It's the main reason that I bought an EV. It' just makes driving a lot smoother. One pedal driving, especially, but also no shifting, very linear power in most of the normal speed range, and of course EAP / TACC for the commute. I enjoy the car and get to the office or home much less stressed.

But that doesn't diminish how I feel about my weekend car. If anything I enjoy it more for it's difference. It doesn't feel antiquated, slow or weak by any means. Just different. It's not the same thing, so I don't expect it to act the same. People still ride horses. They're not commuting in them, and you can walk, mountain bike or ride an ATV as ways to get around off the pavement. But each of those is a different experience. Listening to a portable device full of digital music on pod style headphones is the most efficient and convenient way to do it. But people still spend tens of thousands of dollars on tube amps, large speakers and vinyl records too.

Last edited: