Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going from 19x9.5 to 19x8.5, any concerns?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installed the winters on the stock rims.
Going aftermarket for summers, saved the oem tires for new rims. Same old 255/45/19.
It seems the aftermarket solutions favor the 8.5” more than they do the 9.5”.
Besides being lighter, cheaper and being a bit more protected by the tire, are there any concerns running these on the YLR with the stock tires?
I saw many options 19x8.5 with a 35 offset, which according to all sellers fit perfectly the Y (actually more space for the brakes and a few mm on the outer side).
I really dislike look of the “lip” with the 9.5”, I was hoping the 8.5” would hide a bit of that.
If they fit and it is all good, same 42 psi cold ?

You might want to explore this previous :Thread 'Tsportline 19 x 8.5 Wheels on the Y'
There is some very helpful engineering thoughts/analysis from contributing members that likely would help inform your decision. I sense there are several members on this forum that have opted for the more narrow 8.5" wheel for the reasons discussed. We just put Tsportline 19x8.5 TSV wheels on our new Y and find the ride very similar to our Model S. For now, happy with the choice.
DSC01841.JPG

I installed 8.5x19 Stance wheels on my MYP - with Michelin 255/45/19s, and am very happy with them. The tire sticks out enough to make a difference but not enough to look out-of-place.
Nice wheels.. I’m looking to get an extra set myself.. I’ll get these for the 23 MYLR coming in next month..

Attachments

• FB70C85B-03D3-4F76-A15A-47A7575278AF.png
    FB70C85B-03D3-4F76-A15A-47A7575278AF.png
    582.9 KB · Views: 336
Reactions: canadian.bacon
I installed 8.5x19 Stance wheels on my MYP - with Michelin 255/45/19s, and am very happy with them. The tire sticks out enough to make a difference but not enough to look out-of-place.

Do you feel the "sticks out enough" is enough to go through a car wash that uses wheel tracks to pull cars along, and not scratch the wheels?

(I realize some may be mortified by the thought of "automatic car wash" but in the winter they are a great/fast/convenient way to remove road salt from the underside of the car.)

Thank you.

You might want to explore this previous :Thread 'Tsportline 19 x 8.5 Wheels on the Y'
There is some very helpful engineering thoughts/analysis from contributing members that likely would help inform your decision. I sense there are several members on this forum that have opted for the more narrow 8.5" wheel for the reasons discussed. We just put Tsportline 19x8.5 TSV wheels on our new Y and find the ride very similar to our Model S. For now, happy with the choice.
View attachment 897930
Hi Hojo,

New to the forum but thanks for the suggestion to view the other thread - I've been doing a ton of research on this topic and that was really helpful.

It looks like you've gone with the TSV 19x8.5s, how are they holding up? How is the curb protection so far? My 21 inch uberturbines are curb rash magnets and are scratched up pretty bad.

Hi Hojo,

New to the forum but thanks for the suggestion to view the other thread - I've been doing a ton of research on this topic and that was really helpful.

It looks like you've gone with the TSV 19x8.5s, how are they holding up? How is the curb protection so far? My 21 inch uberturbines are curb rash magnets and are scratched up pretty bad.
2,200 miles, weekly automatic car washes and at least two curb encounters since installation and still rash free. Very happy with this decision. Cheers

Reactions: Noflash