Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tsportline 19 x 8.5 Wheels on the Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was looking at the new "Induction" style wheels that Tsportline is coming out with for improved aerodynamic performance over my current aftermarket wheels. Tsportline lists them for both the 3 and the Y. 19 x 8.5" for the 3 and 19 x 9.5" for the Y. All other specs including load identical. I called Tsportline and talked to a guy about fitting the 8.5" rim on the Y. He was extremely insistent that it wouldn't work, claiming the offset was wrong. When I pointed out that his website showed the same +35 offset on both wheels, he said the width was wrong, period. I asked why the 8.5" width wouldn't work on the Y and he could only answer that it was "wrong". "Wrong width, wrong tire!" (Wrong tire?????) He also claimed "Nobody runs 8.5" wheels on the Y!" Umm, I do and others on here as well.

I'd appreciate thoughts on the linked "3" wheel below being used on the Y. I prefer the slightly narrower width for a variety of reasons. I'd appreciate some input from Tsportline as well, perhaps some reason why it is "Wrong!"

Model 3 wheel: Tesla Model 3 Wheels-19" TSV Flow Forged Tesla Wheel (Set of 4) - T Sportline - Tesla Model S, 3, X & Y Accessories

Model Y wheel: Tesla Model Y 19" TSV Flow Forged Tesla Wheel (Set of 4) - T Sportline - Tesla Model S, 3, X & Y Accessories

I was looking at the new "Induction" style wheels that Tsportline is coming out with for improved aerodynamic performance over my current aftermarket wheels. Tsportline lists them for both the 3 and the Y. 19 x 8.5" for the 3 and 19 x 9.5" for the Y. All other specs including load identical. I called Tsportline and talked to a guy about fitting the 8.5" rim on the Y. He was extremely insistent that it wouldn't work, claiming the offset was wrong. When I pointed out that his website showed the same +35 offset on both wheels, he said the width was wrong, period. I asked why the 8.5" width wouldn't work on the Y and he could only answer that it was "wrong". "Wrong width, wrong tire!" (Wrong tire?????) He also claimed "Nobody runs 8.5" wheels on the Y!" Umm, I do and others on here as well.

I'd appreciate thoughts on the linked "3" wheel below being used on the Y. I prefer the slightly narrower width for a variety of reasons. I'd appreciate some input from Tsportline as well, perhaps some reason why it is "Wrong!"

Model 3 wheel: Tesla Model 3 Wheels-19" TSV Flow Forged Tesla Wheel (Set of 4) - T Sportline - Tesla Model S, 3, X & Y Accessories

Model Y wheel: Tesla Model Y 19" TSV Flow Forged Tesla Wheel (Set of 4) - T Sportline - Tesla Model S, 3, X & Y Accessories

I still don't fully understand all the detailed sizes and specs when it comes to wheels, especially offset... but could it be that the offset is wrong because it's tied to the width of the wheel? Thus to be the same the offset on the smaller width wheel should have a larger offset or something?

Again, not certain. You might glance at Martian Wheels since they have some 8.5 widths for the Y... I would assume offsets should be the same even between two manufactures...

I still don't fully understand all the detailed sizes and specs when it comes to wheels, especially offset... but could it be that the offset is wrong because it's tied to the width of the wheel? Thus to be the same the offset on the smaller width wheel should have a larger offset or something?

Again, not certain. You might glance at Martian Wheels since they have some 8.5 widths for the Y... I would assume offsets should be the same even between two manufactures...

They just said Martian is "Wrong!", but would not or could not explain why. What I found interesting is he ridiculed the thought of using a wheel with anything other than a +35 offset, until I pointed out that their wheels for the Y were also listed at +35 offset. He told me that wasn't true and would be "Wrong!" until I told him to check his own page for the Y wheels. All of a sudden +35 became OK.

What I don't understand Is why they are insisting their 19x8.5" wheel CAN NOT be used on the Y. It just seems like they're giving up sales for no reason that I can see. I'm surprised that Tsportline has not responded to this thread.

BTW, I have Martian 19x8.5" wheels on my Y now and they seem to work just fine. I'm just looking for a second set of wheels.

Interesting that the 8.5 inch wide Martian wheel (both the 18 and 19 inch sizes) are +35 offset, BUT, the 19 inch 9.5 wheel is +45 offset...

Again, I don’t know enough about offsets, but seems like wheel width might play a factor... maybe it is a typo in TSportline’s Model Y page and the offset actually is +45?

I run 20x8.5 +35 on my Model Y with 255/40R20 tires. No issues so far.

Don't know much about technical stuff on how wheel width and offset affects handling/stability, so I am not going to offer my 2 cents bout that.

Had a conversation about TST 19s vs Stock 19s few months ago, and here was my opinion:

The Y is designed with 19x9.5 wheels +45 mm offset. Ideally, use that since Tesla engineered the Y with this set up.
Outside of these specs maybe affecting handling, suspension, etc - I can't tell if for good or bad way.

If you go with TSV 19x9.5 +35, see A.
If you go with TSV 19x8.5 +35, see C.

Just sub TST with TSV when looking at the diagram, same NNx8.5 +35 spec.

Basically the +35 offset on 8.5 width will get the edge of the rim/wheel almost the same place as 9.5 +45 (stock 19s).

I am actually looking into getting 19x8.5 +35 TSV for my Model Y as well.
20200704_161050.jpg

Yeah, that all makes sense and is exactly what I went through ordering the Martians. It's just that the guy I talked to at Tsportline today was so emphatic (rude and obnoxious) that you just couldn't use an 8.5" rim with the Y, but could not explain why. It's not even that their Y TSV matches factory spec; it doesn't. Their offset is different than factory spec. What was your experience when you talked to them?

Interesting that the 8.5 inch wide Martian wheel (both the 18 and 19 inch sizes) are +35 offset, BUT, the 19 inch 9.5 wheel is +45 offset...

Again, I don’t know enough about offsets, but seems like wheel width might play a factor... maybe it is a typo in TSportline’s Model Y page and the offset actually is +45?

Could be, the guy I talked too seemed pretty confused about the offset. Weird for someone who was so adamant. If I didn't like the wheel so much i think I'd just move on to a different company. Kind of off-putting that the guy was so emphatic/obnoxious about the spec, yet couldn't discuss why.

So,

did anyone ever end up trying this with TSV wheels ? I have been seriously toying with the idea.

I spoke to Tsportsline today and I think the main reason for ambiguity is legal liability, not that the guy doesn't want to help. Basically he can't make a representation he hasn't officially supported.
Most aftermarket wheel sellers sell rim specs, they do not say for Tesla model y . You get to pick bolt pattern, load rating, CB, etc. appropriate for you. Tsportsline sells the rims "for Tesla model3" and as such are making a representation.

In practice :
the 8.5 inch wheel has the same load rating as the 9.5 (and he confirmed). this load rating is plenty sufficient to support model y ( 900kg per wheel)

In terms of offset there are two things to understand :

10mm less offset than OEM moves the wheel and tire outwards by 10 mm. this is just a tiny bit more aggressive and it is same for both 8.5 and 9.5 wheels.
On both 8.5 and 9.5 wide wheels the tires will end up in the exact same place - 10mm more outwards than stock OEM.
the difference between 8.5 and 9.5 will be that the rim itself will be more inward as a result of the narrower wheel. That simple.
and with 8.5 you get a bit of bulge ont he tire so that it protects the rim bit better.

All other specs are same ( CB, bolt pattern etc.)

see post : Anyone bought Replica r241 19x9.5 for their new Model Y?

If anyone has done this with TSV from tsportsline I would love not to be the very first guy doing it. Although every single data point works. :)

• Informative
Reactions: RoBoRaT and Nakk
So,

did anyone ever end up trying this with TSV wheels ? I have been seriously toying with the idea.

I spoke to Tsportsline today and I think the main reason for ambiguity is legal liability, not that the guy doesn't want to help. Basically he can't make a representation he hasn't officially supported.
Most aftermarket wheel sellers sell rim specs, they do not say for Tesla model y . You get to pick bolt pattern, load rating, CB, etc. appropriate for you. Tsportsline sells the rims "for Tesla model3" and as such are making a representation.

In practice :
the 8.5 inch wheel has the same load rating as the 9.5 (and he confirmed). this load rating is plenty sufficient to support model y ( 900kg per wheel)

In terms of offset there are two things to understand :

10mm less offset than OEM moves the wheel and tire outwards by 10 mm. this is just a tiny bit more aggressive and it is same for both 8.5 and 9.5 wheels.
On both 8.5 and 9.5 wide wheels the tires will end up in the exact same place - 10mm more outwards than stock OEM.
the difference between 8.5 and 9.5 will be that the rim itself will be more inward as a result of the narrower wheel. That simple.
and with 8.5 you get a bit of bulge ont he tire so that it protects the rim bit better.

All other specs are same ( CB, bolt pattern etc.)

see post : Anyone bought Replica r241 19x9.5 for their new Model Y?

If anyone has done this with TSV from tsportsline I would love not to be the very first guy doing it. Although every single data point works. :)

I was gonna do this but never got to it, to replace the 20x8.5; 20" Model 3 Sportwheels (unknown load rating) that I used in my MYP.

I see no issues, all specs including wheel load rating is good.

Be the one lol.;)
20200822_150938_10193.JPG

Reactions: Surfit34
I ended up getting the TST 19x8.5 wheels in gloss black for my Y but have not mounted them yet--they're going to be my summer wheels. I'm running Martian 19x8.5 wheels now for winter wheels with no issues. I still waffle back and forth whether I should have gotten the TSVs. I like the looks a tiny bit better than the TSTs, but the TSTs are about 5 pounds lighter per wheel. I've gotten used to how comfortable the ride is with the Martians, which weigh about the same as the TSTs. The TSVs will have a degradation in ride comfort over the TSTs due to the added weight--but I can't say how much, or if it's even noticeable.

• Informative
Reactions: RoBoRaT
Yeah, that all makes sense and is exactly what I went through ordering the Martians. It's just that the guy I talked to at Tsportline today was so emphatic (rude and obnoxious) that you just couldn't use an 8.5" rim with the Y, but could not explain why. It's not even that their Y TSV matches factory spec; it doesn't. Their offset is different than factory spec. What was your experience when you talked to them?

I messaged about some wheels awhile ago and they were rude to me as well. I'm looking for just some matte black flow formed 19's x 9.5 with 35-45mm offset to go with my stock tires for 3 seasons of the year. Looking to spend around $1500ish total. Currently I just have some Konig's that are only $307 each + shipping. I haven't been able to find something I realllly want is the problem...

I messaged about some wheels awhile ago and they were rude to me as well. I'm looking for just some matte black flow formed 19's x 9.5 with 35-45mm offset to go with my stock tires for 3 seasons of the year. Looking to spend around $1500ish total. Currently I just have some Konig's that are only $307 each + shipping. I haven't been able to find something I realllly want is the problem...

I got exactly what you're looking for in your price point!
https://www.forgestar.com/wheels/

Flow forged so they are lighter and stronger than OEM wheels for sure. 1600 lbs load rating.

I have Forgestar F14, CF10, CF5, and CF5V 19x9 +35 & 20x9 +35, in stock ready to go!

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 11.07.01 PM.png

We're an authorized dealer.
Message me and I'll take care of you! Rude service will not be tolerated over here. ;)

Best,
Danny

Last edited:
Reactions: BodegaBay
I got exactly what you're looking for in your price point!

Flow forged so they are lighter and stronger than OEM wheels for sure. 1600 lbs load rating.

Nice looking wheels, but 1600 pound load rating is insufficient for the Model Y. The 101 load rating on the 20" wheels is the lowest rating that currently exists on the Y, which is an 1819 pound load rating. I would think the minimum wheel load rating you'd want would be 900 kg. (1984 pounds.)

Yeah, I did end up buying the Tsportline wheels in spite of the very poor customer interaction. If there was a better option for an wheel with some aero benefits I would have gone elsewhere. Both my Martians and my TSTs are 19x8.5. I really like the slightly narrower rim over a rim that sticks out past the rubber. Plus it opens up more tire options as some tires show a max rim width of 9".

I also got in touch with TSportline customer service this week to ask if their 19” 8.5”wide TSV’s would work on a MY. They simply said it wouldn’t fit. From photos I’ve seen posted online, the 8.5” TSV’s fit fine—and I’d prefer that width at the 35mm offset vs. the 9.5” wheels they offer at 35mm offset (which don’t match OEM specs). It would have the required load rating, clear calipers etc. The only reason I can come up with for why TSportline isn’t recommending this is they’ve misquoted the load rating but don’t want to admit it. Just a guess...