Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going on a summer road trip in Europe: 20” winters (studless) or 22” summer set?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All!

I’m back in Europe and this summer bought a ‘17 MX 90D with free supercharging in the 5-seat config for better camping. While I miss my unicorn ‘16 MX p100D 6-seat that had unlimited supercharging, I had to remove and replace the second row of seats to put a bed in for camping inside (we love it!), and now I’m also happy to be able to take passengers.

I’m going on a long road trip of at least 3 weeks and will cover some good distances. I am leaving shortly so don’t have time for a new set of tires. Been reading for hours all the posts I can here and on Reddit of the pros and cons between 20” and 22” and was about to put the 20” winter tire set on the MX for just this Road trip when I thought to ask ChatGPT if that had any drawbacks since I could find no references to anyone using winter tires in summer. Following is that information.

With that in mind, is it a bad idea to use studless winter 20” wheels over the 22” for a long road trip? I was thinking greater range (for the convenience) and better ride and better on dirt roads (sometimes we go down dirt roads to find nice camping spots). Seems ChatGPT doesn’t agree.

Thoughts?

TIA!

“Using winter tires in the summer, even if they are studless, can have several impacts and drawbacks, particularly regarding driving range and overall vehicle performance. Here are the key considerations:

### Impact on Driving Range
1. **Increased Rolling Resistance**: Winter tires typically have a softer rubber compound designed for cold temperatures. In warmer weather, this compound can increase rolling resistance, which can decrease the vehicle's range.
2. **Tread Design**: The aggressive tread pattern of winter tires, intended for traction on snow and ice, can also increase rolling resistance on dry, warm pavement, further reducing range.

### Safety and Performance Issues
1. **Reduced Grip and Handling**: Winter tires are not optimized for summer driving. They can become too soft in warm temperatures, leading to reduced handling precision and longer braking distances.
2. **Increased Wear**: The softer rubber compounds of winter tires wear out more quickly in warm weather, reducing their lifespan. This can make them less cost-effective over time.

### Practical Considerations
1. **Heat Buildup**: Driving winter tires in the summer can cause them to overheat, which can compromise their structural integrity and performance.
2. **Comfort and Noise**: Winter tires are generally noisier and can provide a less comfortable ride on dry roads compared to summer or all-season tires.

### Conclusion
While you can technically use winter tires in the summer, it is not recommended due to the reduced range, safety concerns, and increased wear. For optimal performance, range, and safety, it is best to use tires that are appropriate for the season. If you are primarily concerned with range, consider using summer or all-season tires that are designed for warm weather and offer low rolling resistance.”

Last edited:
Winter tires aren't recommended for temps above 45° and summer tires aren't recommended for temps below 45°. When I last drove my PY with summer tires and temps closer to 32°, they were real slippery. (I was selling it with the original tires/wheels in a few days.)

Personally I'd put the tires on that best match the average temps you're going to see. No sense having excessive wear on your winter set if it'll be too warm for them. If you're worried about the range loss for the 22" wheels, maybe you should sell them.