Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going on vacay…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time traveling since I got my MX. I’m gonna be gone for eight days. Do I leave the car plugged or unplugged?

Jose

For such a short vacation, it doesnt really matter, as long as you charge up to at least 80% before you go if you leave it unplugged. With that being said, this exact question is covered in the tesla manual, in the section about the battery.

The tesla manual for the vehicle advises that you leave the car plugged in when not in use, especially when you are going to be away from it for a while. There is no reason NOT to plug it in. What I have done when I have left my car at home is charge it to 80% or so, then move the slider down to 50-60% so its not doing top up charges while I am gone, but is still connected in case I end up being gone longer than planned.

• Informative
Reactions: ATPMSD and X-pilot
Tesla's unlike our prior 2014 Nissan Leaf, like to be plugged in, and will intelligently manage the charging.

The Nissan Leaf we made the mistake of leaving plugged in while on a long trip, and came back to a dead 12V battery. The 12V was only charged when the vehicle was turned "on", and was used for the charging signal communication.....

Tesla is a LOT smarter than that, and it just "works" the way it should. Leave it plugged in, maybe set the charge level down to 80% instead of the normal 90%, it will manage charging the 12V battery as needed, and keep everything clean.

-Harry