Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LFP Battery Charging: Is Scheduled Charging Better Than Immediate Charging Upon Plugging In?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am receiving a new Model Y with an LFP battery next week. I plan to charge it to 70%-80% every day, and to 100% at least once a week. However, I am wondering what would be best for the battery's longevity: should I charge it immediately upon plugging in, or is it better to set a scheduled departure time? I'll be plugging in the car at 8 p.m. and unplugging it at 8 a.m. What are your thoughts?

Neither option will have any real impact on battery life.

IF you will also set preconditioning to have the car warm at a specific time then setting scheduled departure for the same time is a good idea. This is because charging warms the battery, which is also a function of preconditioning. If you do not use preconditioning then it makes no difference. In this case I would just plug in when you get home and not bother with scheduled departure.

Exception: on days when you charge to 100% scheduled departure is better since it is best to not leave the car at 100% for extended periods. But there is probably little difference if you charge the night before and just drive the car in the morning.

Reactions: pep_dj
When I want to charge my M3, I plug in and schedule it to charge to 80% at 1am (or 100% once a week).
It will do the pre-condition at 12am then start charging at 1am.
The reason is the electricity rate in my city is lowest from 12am till 3pm (California EV2-A plan).
Six to seven hours of charging is more than my car needs.

Reactions: bruce4000